• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Nintendo NX!!!!

G

Galladhan

Oh k, i found out:

Edit: Double post, pardon.

Last edited:

Cpaz

I do hope that we will be able to make things for this. It's certainly interesting. I'll withhold judgement until I see actual footage that isn't from a trailer.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Is it just me or is that Skyrim footage? That feels... kinda odd. Like it's actually having OK hardware.

C

Chim

Is it just me or is that Skyrim footage? That feels... kinda odd. Like it's actually having OK hardware.
Yes i see Skyrim too, it seems a port for the motion controllers, controlling both arms? I would buy it :x

Posho

Neeeat. Looks really neat, to be honest.
Alright, time for an unnecessary breakdown.

Logo:

Console dock:

Confirmed Games:
New 3D Mario:

Mario Kart 8 (now with King Boo):

Splatoon (now with new hairstyles):

Skyrim HD:

NBA something...?:

M

McWolke

I love the idea of this console! too bad i am so broke :< 💩💩💩💩 student life!
the pro controller looks kinda.. dirty? is it transparent or why does it look so weird?

Posho

New official images are starting to surface the internet.

Let's take a moment to appreciate the fact that the joysticks' positions aren't symmetrical. Perfect for non-FPS games, AKA most of Nintendo games.

If you see the center of the controller, you can see 8 leds. Does that mean you can hook up to 8 controllers to one console? Maybe up to 8 via screen-connection?

Also, what do you think that circle-in-the-square button does?

Also, here's a list of confirmed developers and publishers:
• 505 Games

• Activision Publishing, Inc.

• ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co.,Ltd.

• ATLUS CO.,LTD.

• Audiokinetic Inc.

• Autodesk, Inc

• BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.

• Bethesda

• CAPCOM CO., LTD.

• Codemasters®

• CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.

• DeNA Co., Ltd.

• Electronic Arts

• Epic Games Inc.

• Firelight Technologies

• FromSoftware, Inc.

• Frozenbyte

• GameTrust

• GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.

• Gungho Online Entertainment,Inc

• HAMSTER Corporation

• Havok

• INTI CREATES CO., LTD.

• KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.

• Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

• LEVEL-5 Inc.

• Marvelous Inc.

• Maximum Games, LLC

• Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.

• Parity Bit Inc.

• PlatinumGames Inc.

• RAD Game Tools, Inc.

• RecoChoku Co.,Ltd.

• SEGA Games Co., Ltd.

• Silicon Studio Corporation

• Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.

• SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.

• Starbreeze Studios

• Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

• Telltale Games

• THQ Nordic

• Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.

• TT Games

• UBISOFT

• Ubitus Inc.

• Unity Technologies, Inc.

• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

• Web Technology Corp.

Source

[Edit] You beat me to it, @Galladhan

Posho

Another thing:

Looks like it won't have a camera and apparently no microphone as well. That means there won't be any more unnecessary price bumps like for the Wii U!

Also, does anyone else think that this thing doesn't look portable at all? The screen looks really huge to fit on a pocket. Unless they intend you to carry it around without the side-controllers, making it some sort of smartphone.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
>From Software
>Bandai Namco

OMG WE MIGHT GET DARK SOULS PORTS <3

I'd wanted to see Valve on that list, and them switching over to use Steam instead of their own digital shop, but ah well.

Also, that stick assymetry should allow you to switch the left and right things around and put them in upside-down, which would... make it easier for a lefty to control things, I guess?

Posho

This thing is confirmed to be the GameCard slot.
Cartridges are confirmed. Nothing new, but it's a confirmation, I guess.

G

Galladhan

Also, does anyone else think that this thing doesn't look portable at all?
Yeh, i thought the same. It kinda brings my memory back to the first model of the good old Atari Lynx:

Atari-Lynx-I-Handheld.jpg

lol. But the "stand mode" is a very neat idea in my opinion. :)

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Also every handheld Nintendo console ever has used cartridges.
But everyone uses disks...

I guess cartridges actually are a lot more viable today, though - flash memories and SSD technology are more reliable and faster than spinning media (even though they still are a lot more expensive per unit of data), and more resistant to damage compared to the easily scratchable surface of a disk, and the data limitations that was the biggest difference between the PS1 and the N64 aren't as pronounced with modern technology. And the other costs of making an AAA game probably are more of a concern than the cost of printing a copy of the game, especially since physically releasing a game is optional today.

A

Alex Lyons

My thoughts:
  • It's basically a Wii U, 3DS, and Gamecube rolled into one with all the fat trimmed
  • I might actually buy this (I skipped over Wii U)
  • I can already hear my wallet screaming in agony
  • I'm curious to see how Sony and Microsoft are going to copy this
  • Was that a new 3D Mario game in the trailer?

Neat, the only remark I've is the bad fps when using it as handheld
I noticed that for Zelda too, but aren't all screen images added in post? What kind of company would purposely add choppy footage to their launch trailer? It feels like this might be bad post production rather than choppy framerate? Who knows, though.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Neat, the only remark I've is the bad fps when using it as handheld
It's called Skyrim, and it has a third-person mode *badum tss*

Nah, but on a serious note, it's kinda understandable... battery life is a big concern for portable stuff, and high processing power basically requires energy proportional to the square of the CPU speed. I'd rather have something I can actually play for the whole trip over a game with smooth silky FPS that dies once I actually get on the bus.

Posho

I might actually buy this (I skipped over Wii U)
Some Wii U games are actually pretty excellent but they weren't sold as much as they could've because of the Wii U's bad reputation.
Lucky you. Really, really lucky you. Seems like the best ones are going to be ported to the Switch but with more features.
I am not mad though, I've spent too much time on my Wii U to not be "profitable". Though, I'm really angry about the fact that I KNOW i'll buy the upgraded games.
Sm4sh with new characters HYPE.

I'm curious to see how Sony and Microsoft are going to copy this
Heh. Though Vita didn't do something similar already?

Was that a new 3D Mario game in the trailer?
Aeyuppppp.

But everyone uses disks...

I guess cartridges actually are a lot more viable today, though - flash memories and SSD technology are more reliable and faster than spinning media (even though they still are a lot more expensive per unit of data), and more resistant to damage compared to the easily scratchable surface of a disk, and the data limitations that was the biggest difference between the PS1 and the N64 aren't as pronounced with modern technology. And the other costs of making an AAA game probably are more of a concern than the cost of printing a copy of the game, especially since physically releasing a game is optional today.
Dunno. It just seems to me that it makes sense that they're using cartridges.

Posho

We're getting some official names, particularly for the new controller which is called Joy-Con.

[Edit]
Graphics card confirmed by Nvidia.
Source.

lolslayer

I noticed that for Zelda too, but aren't all screen images added in post? What kind of company would purposely add choppy footage to their launch trailer? It feels like this might be bad post production rather than choppy framerate? Who knows, though.
Could be, it's only strange that it wasn't badle edited when not using it portable then

lolslayer

It's called Skyrim, and it has a third-person mode *badum tss*

Nah, but on a serious note, it's kinda understandable... battery life is a big concern for portable stuff, and high processing power basically requires energy proportional to the square of the CPU speed. I'd rather have something I can actually play for the whole trip over a game with smooth silky FPS that dies once I actually get on the bus.
Then I hope that we'll get an option for battery usage

M

Misu

Check out the Nintendo NX Module thread in Off-Topic. That was discussed long ago

Cpaz

Keep in mind though, Skyrim is actually getting old. Even with the graphical enhancements.
What worries me is that "slowdown" in zelda that we saw when it went to the portable screen.
Though, you could in theory just ignore the mobile mode all together and just use the pro controller.

Another interesting note, if there actually is a performance difference when using the dock vs tablet mode, this means there's extra hardware in the dock. The big question, what exactly?

Check out the Nintendo NX Module thread in Off-Topic. That was discussed long ago
"Long ago." Things could very well have changed since then.

Edit: So the forum doesn't merge two recent posts anymore... Huh

Last edited by a moderator:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
She's not Swedish. She looks out through her window and there's no snow.