HTML5 Light Speed

O

Otavio Ortiz

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grimlock

I just tried your web version. The graphics are nicely done, the rotating ships look pretty awesome. The sound effects fit the game nicely. One thing I noticed about your design though is that it really divides your attention between two areas on the screen, the mini-map on the top and the ship area on the bottom. So much so that you end up having to choose either the mini-map or the ship to devote your full attention. In my case the mini-map won because you can easily see where your ship is in relation to the asteroids. This renders the ship area (the main game play area) secondary to your attention which is backwards, the mini map should be secondary not the main game play area. So it's a design flaw really. I do have one idea that could allow you to merge the mini-map and the main game play area and keep your eyes on the same plane:

If you put the mini-map on the right then the players eyes can move left and right between the mini-map and main game play area which is a lot more natural than moving up and down. Also the player would be able to scan both the main game play area and the mini map simultaneously:

O

Otavio Ortiz

The idea is to simulate a spaceship at the speed of light, in case the pilot would accompany the obstacles by another screen on tracking objects at a distance.
But I do not know if the players will like the idea, I will follow some more feedback before modifying the original idea.

Thank you for your opinion and will consider its solution, regards.

O

Otavio Ortiz

I was inspired by the difficulty of flappy bird :p
I'll try to better balance the difficulty in the future.

I

Ingemann

Nice graphics and fun gameplay. It's over a bit fast perhaps, perhaps you could make room_speed = the difficulty level, it won't look terrible at 10 fps at all etc.. Just kidding ofc, and best wishes for your game. I enjoyed trying it.

lolslayer

Somehow the web version isn't really responsive to me, sometimes it won't do anything at all when I push a key and sometimes it will move double immidiatly

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
This is definitely one of the nicest looking games I've seen in a while -- subjectively speaking, of course. The 3D-rendered ships and asteroids are beautifully done. And the explosion when asteroid and ship collide is very cool. I enjoy 3D rendering myself, so I'd be interested to learn what software you used to create these models and graphical effects.

The player interface has a slick professional look. I especially like the glowing LED effect on the lettering. Was that separately pre-rendered and imported into GM? Or did you do that with blend modes? Either way, it's very nice.

Beyond the interface and graphics, the choice of sounds is good. Fairly subtle, but appropriate.

The gameplay was very difficult, however. Overly difficult, IMO. Once I realized there was a mini map at the top of the screen, that was the only way I could stay alive more than a few seconds. But it kinda defeats the purpose of having all those beautiful graphics, when I'm just staring at the mini-map.

One alternative to consider, would be either (1) selectable degrees-of-difficulty, or (2) have the speed ramp up more slowly at first. Sort of like starting out on impulse drive, before going to warp 1, warp 2, etc. That way, players like me (incompetent) would have a chance to enjoy the game a bit longer.

Overall, this is a great game with excellent potential to do well. It's a good choice for HTML5, and it's executed very well.

O

Otavio Ortiz

@chance
Thank you very much.
The graphics I bought, just did some editing in 2D graphics. Moreover did the programming and game design.

M

mariospants

It's T-I-G-H-T! As stated by others, the graphics are top-notch (did you purchase the graphics from a resource or were they custom-made for just you?), sound effects are great, control and feel is sharp, and it's helluva challenging... but there's really not much to it, is there? It's a simple three-state twitch game, no more complex than an LCD watch game...

I've put you on my "follow" list because it's so tight and clean, you do nice work!

F

Frotagonist

Nice job! This is really addictive and incredibly well polished. I'd like to download it on the play store but the link isn't working. What's your highest score, I can't seem to survive for more than 10 seconds.

Edit - Ah, I see. You need to hit the purple dots. The sense of speed is great!

A

atxgamedesigner

This is fantastic.
The art, gameplay, audio - everything.
Very well done for a mini game.

EDIT -

After playing the game more - I particularly like the little radar thing at the top of the screen.
I was too focused on what was coming at me and dying quickly, then discovered the "radar" and was able to live much longer.

Very addicting gameplay!

A

Ariak

I feel like the incredible graphics are totally wasted atm.
The game is so fast there is zero time to admire the rotating spaceship, as you focus entirely on the radar.

Since the spaceship is already 3D: why not only make it roll around its axis when you switch "lane" - direction dependant. That would definetly add alot to the immersion, should we ever get the chance to witness the effect (after the first few seconds). Maybe also a little lighning effect from side thrusters to initiate rotation. I can see the easing function already ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ianuarius

Fun game. I actually laughed out loud when I crashed. :D I love the feeling of speed. Nice sounds, too.