Is it copyright infringment to release an Asteroids clone?

A

Alphys Hedge

I wanted to do some experimenting with GMS, so I started making an Asteroids clone. It's at v1.1 now, and I actually really like it so far.

It wasn't really a "I'm going to dedicate time to make this!" sort of thing, just a "I'm going to work on this off and on and see what happens" kind of game. I personally don't think it's lazy though.

I wanted to put it on itch.io (it would be free obviously) saying "I made a Asteroids clone with GameMaker: Studio, as an experiment. I thought I might put it here so I could see if people like it!", however I didn't know if that would be copyright infringement on asteroids, or if it just wasn't good enough to be on there.

Do you think I should go for it or not release it?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The game mechanics are generic enough that they should be possible to use freely today. Just don't use the name "Asteroids" or mimic the original graphical style too closely and you should be fine.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You might want to differentiate yourself a bit more, I guess... I did a quick google search, and I found three different games named "Yet Another Asteroids Clone". Nothing really won't STOP you from doing that, but you might not stick out enough to get people to actually play it. (I released a Breakout clone a while ago, and it's consistently been my least played game)

A

Alphys Hedge

I guess I won't do anything with it for now, then. There's so much to the articles that I'm going to assume it's not okay, so I won't release it.

Sabnock

I guess I won't do anything with it for now, then. There's so much to the articles that I'm going to assume it's not okay, so I won't release it.
i've been thinking the same thing recently. all the clones i have done are for fun and learning but am even begining to worry that simply placing them on here for comment and kudos might get me into trouble.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Generally speaking, if you have to ask if it's legal, it's probably not (or borderline).
I'd say this is one of the special cases, since it's about a concept rather than a brand; using someone else's stuff without asking is always wrong, but it's not as clear when it comes to imitation. The general idea is that if you're obviously similar to the point where potential customers can be confused, it's also copyright or trademark infringement. A recent example would be Super Box Maker to Super Mario Maker, where the UI is directly copied down to using the same sound effects and color schemes.