• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Music

K

Karrlem

Hello everyone I was just wondering how you guys get/make music for your games, from software's used to how it is actually made.

D

Deleted member 467

I use FL Studio with the Nexus 2 VST (for almost everything except drum samples. I think right now I have ~3 GBs of those. Still not enough)

For how it's made... not really easy to answer. You could start by thinking of a melody or chord progression (with some understanding of music theory) and make a midi of that, see how it sounds with different instruments and go from there. For Game Maker I export that as an MP3 and use it when I need it.

K

Karrlem

I use FL Studio with the Nexus 2 VST (for almost everything except drum samples. I think right now I have ~3 GBs of those. Still not enough)

For how it's made... not really easy to answer. You could start by thinking of a melody or chord progression (with some understanding of music theory) and make a midi of that, see how it sounds with different instruments and go from there. For Game Maker I export that as an MP3 and use it when I need it.
Hmm okay, how would you say FL Studio is for complete beginners?

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
I'm using Reaper with a 100$ casio keyboard and a bunch of free vst. (And massive, but it's not free.)

D

Deleted member 467

It works. Like very DAW out there (Digital Audio Workspace) it has a learning curve, as well as music.

For me I started learning with busyworksbeats on Youtube (His channel mainly teaches making rap/trap music, but it can still help you learn)

For music it also helps to learn things such as Mixing, Compression, EQ, etc.

And it's best not to expect your first track or 1 month after learning producing that you will make an exceptionally great track. Like gamedev you generally can't make a good game after a month of learning gamedev. Sure there are a few exceptions, but making music is a learned skill that later on becomes an investment on your side if you wish to continue with it.

K

Karrlem

I'm using Reaper with a 100$ casio keyboard and a bunch of free vst. (And massive, but it's not free.)
Thank you, i'll have to watch videos on it because I would like to at least know that I am passionate about it before investing in it.

K

Karrlem

It works. Like very DAW out there (Digital Audio Workspace) it has a learning curve, as well as music.

For me I started learning with busyworksbeats on Youtube (His channel mainly teaches making rap/trap music, but it can still help you learn)

For music it also helps to learn things such as Mixing, Compression, EQ, etc.

And it's best not to expect your first track or 1 month after learning producing that you will make an exceptionally great track. Like gamedev you generally can't make a good game after a month of learning gamedev. Sure there are a few exceptions, but making music is a learned skill that later on becomes an investment on your side if you wish to continue with it.
Lol thanks for the info, I'll use his videos as far as learning, I appreciate it a lot.

Ninety

I'm generally careful about recommending beginners to rely on sample packs, because if you can't make a good piece of music without them you're probably not going to with them. Toby Fox made a brilliant soundtrack out of a few free soundfonts, but million-dollar film OSTs often sound like crap.

Prioritise music theory (key/time signatures, chords, harmony, syncopation, etc.) over expensive equipment and software. Once you're good enough to need more a professional setup, then worry about investing money.

(This isn't directed at you btw Barvix, just general advice)

D

Deleted member 467

I'm generally careful about recommending beginners to rely on sample packs, because if you can't make a good piece of music without them you're probably not going to with them. Toby Fox made a brilliant soundtrack out of a few free soundfonts, but million-dollar film OSTs often sound like crap.

Prioritise music theory (key/time signatures, chords, harmony, syncopation, etc.) over expensive equipment and software. Once you're good enough to need more a professional setup, then worry about investing money.

(This isn't directed at you btw Barvix, just general advice)
I kinda figured it wasn't directed at me, and I wasn't really recommending a person with no music making experience to start using Nexus right away, or to start investing money in what they do. But yes, music theory is a must.