• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Retro games

Changgi

Who's into retro games?

The first online games (as in, games you play online, or I guess "browser game" might be more appropriate, except they aren't exactly) I ever got the chance to play were remakes of retro games, and I soon arrived at Atari 2600 and NES games.

So basically I grew up playing Atari 2600 and NES games, as well as some arcade games. Many of the games I made are styled after the Atari 2600. Anyone else interested in retrogaming? I think I'm most acquainted with 80s games (arcades, consoles and home computers) when it comes to retrogaming.

G

GhostlyFeline

I adore classic platformers, especially from the 16-bit era. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Megaman X are two of my favorite games of all time. Super Castlevania IV is also a cool one. I have a lot of remakes and compilations of classic games, as the original systems were around before my time. I grew up with Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube and Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 on Gameboy Advance, and I found a lot of other game's on Nintendo's virtual console.

M

Misu

I loved the SNES. It was my favourite retro console. I enjoyed playing Super Mario World, TLOZ, and Adventure Island. Oh there was so many enjoyable games from the SNES.

Cpaz

Does the Dreamcast count (for Sonic Adventure, Sonic Shuffle, Toy Commander, Bust a move 4, and a few others I can't remember atm)? Screw it, I'm saying it does. But aside from that, I've played the PS1(Spyro, and Soulblade dude \o/),N64 (Mainly for Rayman 2) and a fair few older pc games (Rollercoaster Tycoon anyone?)

G

GhostlyFeline

Does the Dreamcast count (for Sonic Adventure, Sonic Shuffle, Toy Commander, Bust a move 4, and a few others I can't remember atm)? Screw it, I'm saying it does. But aside from that, I've played the PS1(Spyro, and Soulblade dude \o/),N64 (Mainly for Rayman 2) and a fair few older pc games (Rollercoaster Tycoon anyone?)
That brings up a good point. How are we defining retro? Is there a cutoff date for what is considered a retro game?

Changgi

Sure, let's count the Dreamcast and PS1 as well.

I've seen Rollercoaster Tycoon but never played it. Primarily because it's made by Infogrames which is now Atari.

Edit: I generally consider anything pre-2000 retro. I don't know the exact dates, but I'll count the Dreamcast, PS1 and GBA.

G

GhostlyFeline

In that case, Super Smash Bros. Melee is a fantastic retro game. :p

Changgi

That brings up something interesting. A friend mentioned that retro would probably move with time, whereas for me, being a fan of the Atari 2600, I tend to have a set year, with 2000 being the year I generally stop considering something retro.

I did a quick check and found out that the GBA was post-2000. I consider it retro because I consider it the immediate follow-up to the GB and GBC. Not the Nintendo DS though cause its name's different.

Heck, my friend claimed that the PSP was old and I thought it was ridiculous.

G

GhostlyFeline

Normally when I think retro, I think anything before Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox. I guess it would move with time though. It's kind of surreal to think that Super Mario Galaxy is already 9 years old now.

Changgi

Actually I personally treated the Super Nintendo as being the newest console that I'd consider in the retro consoles library... Saturn to me has been borderline...

But then people started treating the PS as a retro console and some also treat the N64 as one so I decided I'd count those as well. But because I'm mostly interested in the 80s stuff, even the 90s stuff are a bit "new" to me.

G

GhostlyFeline

Maybe retro in this case is a descriptor of aesthetic, rather than a period of time?

Changgi

Possible. To me, I think of 80s games, arcade, console or home computer. I guess when it comes to aesthetic, people tend to think pixelly.

To me though, from my experiences with talking with friends, 80s games seem to have a bunch of genres distinct from modern games, like the abundance of arcade genre games (like those on the Atari 2600), classic platformers (like on the NES), and probably old RPGs.

I'm not sure, but there's definitely a big gap between the genres I think my those of my friends, cause I like 80s arcade games while my friends are generally into longer games. Then again, there are pretty long 80s games too so it might not be just the time period, but the influence of arcade games certainly seems to be less?

When I say arcade games, I mean those fast-paced action games that an average player could only play for a few minutes, like Missile Command, Centipede, those types of games.

Edit: But clearly, no one wants to play with me when I went to the video games society wanting to play co-op Atari games.

I

Ingemann

Commodore computers here, began with a sinclair zx81 tho. Have emulators for most of the computers I have had, and also an usb joystick made in retro 80s style, to make the 80s experience complete. Click click click.

Changgi

Just made a video for my aunt. These are 5 games that she owned that I really liked.
She used to lend me her Game Boy Color, which had a multicart plugged in. I decided to show this to my aunt and ask whether she feels nostalgic seeing these games again (I know I do). This is the colour palette used on her Game Boy Color so it should look just like when she/I played it back then. Unfortunately the Game Boy Color stopped working years ago.

I wonder if any of you like any of these as well?

V

vickyleeps

Happy with this thread because i got a bunch of wonderful recommendations. Thanks guys!

Changgi

Happy with this thread because i got a bunch of wonderful recommendations. Thanks guys!
You got an idea for games to try out from this thread? That was certainly not expected...

I made a drawing of essentially the ZX Spectrum. I might use it in an upcoming Game Maker project... Or I might not make it, I don't know. I was thinking of either making a Spectrum-styled game or a Spectrum simulator with that 5-minute tape load before the game, essentially, but I'm not sure if most people would enjoy it so I might not make it.

Last edited:

Changgi

I made a comparison chart of some NES vs 7800 games.
While the NES certainly has a lot more games, I think the 7800 does better with a number of shared games.
draft_2.png

Last edited: