• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Opinion E-cigarettes

KurtBlissZ

Alright so they're is a lot of arguments over this. It confuses me a lot why.

First of all the easy thing is second hand smoke from E-cigarettes is crap, a simple google search and you find out that it's not smoke and it uses the same stuff that theater smoke uses. And many places has been banning E-cigarettes because suppose its a health risk to other around you.

Really the fake smoke is there on purpose to make a smoker to feel like they are smoking an actual cigarette, really they could just take it out so it doesn't do it and so you can't even see it.

Do any of you really think that E-cigarettes are worst for you than Cigarettes? This reminds me of people who say the second hand cigarette smoke is even more bad for you than first hand smoke. It just blows my mind. But anyway, of course E-cigarettes are better than cigarettes. For one because you don't get tar from smoking E-cigarettes like the real one do, and if a smoker switches to E-cigarettes they can breathe a lot better.

So thanks for reading. I'm curious to hear your guy's opinions and arguments.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
E-cigarettes may be slightly "better" for you than regular cigarettes, but that doesn't mean they're "healthy"... "E-cigarettes increase the risk of flu and pneumonia", for example. And they haven't been around long enough to know the long-term effects of using them. Will be interesting to see what illnesses and cancers may develop from using them over an extended period...

On a personal note, I think they are crap, and it pisses me of no-end when I'm in a no-smoking bar or restaurant and someone pulls out their e-cig and starts puffing. Just because there's no legislation for it does not make it right! The vapour is incredibly unpleasant to smell and be enveloped in, even if it is "better" than tobacco smoke, and "vaping" in closed areas or where there is food strikes me as being very rude, ignorant and selfish.

Lukasmah

Where's the OP's citations?

Seems you can, in fact, just make crap up.
Okay, no. Why is this suddenly about the op and their sources? I wasn't talking about the OP at all. This was about the presence or lack of medical practitioners on the forums.

Mercerenies

First of all the easy thing is second hand smoke from E-cigarettes is crap, a simple google search and you find out that it's not smoke and it uses the same stuff that theater smoke uses. And many places has been banning E-cigarettes because suppose its a health risk to other around you.
Bull. First, it's annoying. Just to get that out of the way, it's an annoyance to me and to anyone else around the smoker. But from a medical standpoint, people put whatever they want in E-cigarettes. Some people actually smoke harmful substances through them, and strictly speaking you could smoke illegal substances through them. You're running on the highly inaccurate assumption that everyone using an E-cigarette is using it to smoke essentially water vapor.

N

NPT

Any fully qualified medical practitioners frequent the forums here?

No didn't think so.
While one needs fully qualified medical practitioners to design, give input or analyse comparative studies between cigarette and vaping health impacts, to think one needs to be a fully qualified medical practitioner to have a valid and informed opinion on the health impacts, is asinine.

Anybody with a little intelligence can research the existing published studies. That's one of the roles of research, use existing expertise to design, perform and analyse theories so the knowledge can be disseminated to non-experts.

In fact, the overwhelming majority of medical practitioners don't know anything about vaping. It's simply not within their discipline.

Regarding vaping, I have successfully used vaping to quit smoking. I'm approaching two years now, and for me it has been easy. BTW, I rarely vape now, but keep my e-cigarette around so I won't start.

For what it's worth, my Dr. knew nothing about vaping when I discussed it with him, but has done comparisons on my lung capacity and clarity and commented on the measurable improvement in both.

Hey look, it's a fully qualified medical practitioner from a reputable university sharing the results of vaping studies she's participated in and others she's studied.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=653294&hl=

S

skeer

I'll put in my own 2¢. E-cigareetes seem kinda like a pointless waste of money. There would be two main reasons to use them: for your health, or the health of those around you. As far as I know, most smokers don't care about their health or in the case of a few people. Or others, like my dad, believe cigarettes wouldn't be so unhealthy if government/whoever stopped putting other stuff in the cigarettes (fire safe cigarette for example).

If you are doing it for the health of others, your best bet may be to try to quit cigarettes or severely discourage smoking in the first place. My dad smokes the real things and tells me he never would have started if he knew what the prices would be. That (and the fact my mom would kill me if I started smoking) is enough to discourage me. Meanwhile my aunt uses vapor, but then her son got a hold of it, used it, and now he can't quit because he's hooked on the nicotine.

Your best bet is to never ever get started, real or vapor. For health AND financial reasons.

KurtBlissZ

@skeer, Well that one thing we call agree on is not to start and it's a waste of money :p. Unless you're already hooked, E-cigs. can be helpful for quitting smoking like NPT used it for.

OFC, the banning of E-cigs at places seems more stupid to me. But, it doesn't harm anyone it be banning in places and may be helpful for people quitting vaping as well. I honestly never smoked or vaped so :p, I just know people who do. The marijuana topic got me thinking about this topic.

R

roytheshort

Honestly if you do every bad habit at once, smoking, drinking, overeating...
The total amount of years lost per habit decreases.

Let's say you live to 83, but smoking makes that 63. 20 years lost right?
If you smoke and drink alcohol, it might be 53. So that's 30 years total, but 15 years lost from smoking and 15 years lost from drinking. Originally you lost 20 years from smoking. You would have also lost 20 years from only drinking.

You've saved 5 years per habit by having two habits. I don't know why nobody has caught onto this.

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
Honestly if you do every bad habit at once, smoking, drinking, overeating...
You've saved 5 years per habit by having two habits. I don't know why nobody has caught onto this.
I see! So if I have more than four habits, I start to gain back those years again! Who would have thought the secret to everlasting life would be to become addicted to as many drugs as possible!

Ninety

Eventually, all the drugs cancel each other out and you become immortal. However by that stage you're basically shovelling pills into your mouth 24/7 and really, is it worth it?

N

NPT

I tried the E-Cigarette once or twise, But comparing to the regular Cigarette there is only 1 difference in my opinion, You can just save money from buying Cigarettes, You just have to charge it, It is been here for about a year but now it is never exists, It actually do the same effect as the regular Cigarette.
Just one more example of why we shouldn't bother wasting our time researching, reading, and comparing. Look how much valuable information we can learn by simply trying something once or twise.

N

NPT

@NPT
Opinion
o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    "I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"
    synonyms: belief, judgment, thought(s), (way of) thinking, mind, (point of) view, viewpoint, outlook,attitude, stance, position, perspective, persuasion, standpoint; More
    • the beliefs or views of a large number or majority of people about a particular thing.
      "the changing climate of opinion"

• an estimation of the quality or worth of someone or something.
      "I had a higher opinion of myself than I deserved"
I'm unsure why you felt the need to post the definition of opinion. I'm well aware of what an opinion is. I also agree with the definition pointing out that opinion is "not necessarily based on fact or knowledge." And it's precisely this qualification, when opinion is formed on ignorance instead of knowledge or fact, as your's was, it should be pointed out as being ignorant. As I did, though in not as many words.

Roa

Just one more example of why we shouldn't bother wasting our time researching, reading, and comparing. Look how much valuable information we can learn by simply trying something once or twise.
lol relax NPT

Dont forget he is in a different country, with different source for smokes, different taxes and laws, different availability, different healtcare providers information on things. It could very easily be true over there that importing an electronic is much more expensive than local grown leafs or dare say local leaf isnt packed full of other chemicals.

KurtBlissZ

If you have any doubts then do a research and find the differences instead of being judging moron.
If you read the post above he clearly has.. Also big difference between the two imo, lol. Guess saying whether a difference is big or small is technically an opinion.

N

NPT

lol relax NPT

Dont forget he is in a different country, with different source for smokes, different taxes and laws, different availability, different healtcare providers information on things. It could very easily be true over there that importing an electronic is much more expensive than local grown leafs or dare say local leaf isnt packed full of other chemicals.
Maybe you're right, or he could be from Ohio and just too lazy to do a little fact finding.

@NPT , Well I posted it just for "not necessarily based on fact or knowledge." I didn't say take my opinion as a new theory that you and others should follow, It is just a simple opinion based on what I experienced, Even though it might be true, I never saw or felt any difference, It might taste different depends on what filter you use but it still may cause the same harm as the regular cigarette.

If you have any doubts then do a research and find the differences instead of being judging moron.
Are you kidding?

I have done a considerable amount of research. I've posted in this topic and the topic I linked to on the old GMC:
  • A 1 hour video by a reputable university doctor and research
  • My almost two years experience with the products
  • My health improvements validated by my doctor
  • etc
And you post some silly ignorant opinion because you tried it once or twice, and think that because your opinion is simply just that, an opinion, it is some how exempt from criticism.

It's not and you're not. And the next time you want to post your opinion maybe you'll do a little research instead of thinking that trying something once or twice should be treated equally as one based on two years experience and considerable, demonstrable research.

Perhaps, before using the term moron again, that's the word you should be looking up in a dictionary, instead of opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roa

or he could be from Ohio and just too lazy to do a little fact finding.
Hey now, I never claimed to know anything vast here. I'm just pointing out the possibility of differences of by region. Not even necessarily talking about the health factors...

N

NPT

*sigh* it is just an opinion, You didn't have to do this all, I am wrong, You're right, That is it! I just told a wrong opinion thank you for ensuring me that I am wrong, That is it! If you understand that a lot then understand this.
I wouldn't have done any of it, had you not responded as you did, simply for having your opinion criticized.

Shut

I've been smoking for about 12 years and tried once to move to e-cigs instead, however after a few weeks I ended up becoming addicted to e-cigs as well as normal cigarettes, so I gave up on e-cigs. I guess it works for some, but might end up worse for others like me.

S

seanm

Dont feel like finding sources, so take this as opinion and research if you feel like it.

e-cigs and vapes are 2 different things.
  • e-cigs are cheap cigarette shaped devices, usually single use.
  • vapes are much larger, are better constructed, and are refillable.
However, they both deliver the e-juice, in the form of vapour, into your lungs.

A recent study on e-cigs found that some copper components can actually release copper into the vapour, which is not safe to inhale. This is not the case for actual vapes as their is no way for this to happen.

The components of e-juice are:
  • vegetable glycerin or propylene glycol. (VG/PG)
  • water.
  • nicotine.
  • Food flavourings.
VG/PG:
This is found in asthma inhalers, and is safe to inhale as a vapour.

This is part of what makes the vapour "sting" your throat a little bit; this is called "throat hit". It is desirable because it lets you feel the vapour in your throat, and makes the experience more analogous to smoking. Again, this stuff is found in asthma inhalers, throat hit is not destroying your esophagus.​

Water:
duh​

Nicotine:
For adults, nicotine seems pretty benign even if you inhale it. seems pretty similar to caffeine. But again, do some research if you really care.

This is where most of the throat hit in vaping comes from.​

Flavouring:
Here is where things get tricky. A lot of food contains chemicals that you should not inhale. Even if, lets say an apple, has its flavour extracted and turned into a concentrated liquid, there is a chance it contains things you should not inhale; even without adding anything else to the extract.

The largest concern with vaping seems to lie with the flavourings, which you don't have to add to the e-juice if you don't want to.​

The whole vaping fear is similar to aspartame. People are horrified that diet coke might give them cancer. (which it wont)

-----------

tl;dr: you're still a twat if you vape around other people in public.​

Last edited: