• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Noob Questions

M

MGono

Hello dear GMS community,

I have a few noob questions, maybe you can help me out. Sorry if this was already asked and answered elsewhere.

1. I am currently creating the assets for a game in some sort of isometric view. If I want to add a rather big structure like the tree in the pic below, is there a way to make the object appear to be correct in space (the tree trunk blocking the avatar / when the avatar is in front of the tree trunk he is displayed in front of it / the upper half is covering the avatar as if he is behind) without splitting the tree into 2 different objects? Maybe there is a trick that i am unaware of...

2. I am currently using a grid & tileset of 50x50 pixel, and all other objects have random sizes up to 200x200 pixel and I place them wherever they fit best in the room (like in the pic above). Could this cause problems in the long run? I saw that the most people stay consistent and using the same pixel size for all assets.

3. Maximum room size or amount of objects: The plan is to create a huge map, ending up with 1000+ objects. Via google I found different answers for this question, maybe you can help me: What is the actual maximum room size, and is there a limit for objects / a amount that will make a game unplayable?

Thank you for reading, any help would be very appreciated. And sorry for the noob questions! :D

I do this by what you described. Having a background image, then an image that rests in front of it. As far as I know, there are not many other workarounds.

Mick

The objects in your game can be of any size, no problem. You can set the y-origin of your sprites to the bottom and for all objects you would have: depth = -y in the step event (or create event for non-moving objects), this way all your objects will be drawn in the correct order.

Your room size can be big. You can deactivate objects that are outside the view.