Legacy GM Sound glitch

R

Rackover

Hi,
I've got a room (room_menu) with only one object (object_menu) which is playing a sound (sound_menu) thanks to the following command :

Code:
audio_play_sound(sound_menu, 10, true);
But for an unknown reason, and despite the fact that every sound of the game excepted this one is actually working perfectly, this happens to generate an horrible glitch. Something like really heavy reverb, with poor quality.

I tried with other sounds : same "poor reverb" effect.
I tried in other rooms : sound working perfectly.

But i've got another room (room_opening), which fades in the room_menu when the player presses enter OR after 3 seconds.

Here's the funny part : If the player presses enter to "room_goto" the room_menu, the glitch does not happen and the sound is playing normally.
If the player actually waits 3 seconds for the room to fade (which is exactly the same code than the previous option, because it's an "if (that || this){ } " ) then the glitch actually happens.

Why ?

R

Rackover

No, because the audio is in a "create" event, and because I added a safety with "is_audio_playing".

Check :

In CREATE event :
Code:
if (!sound_isplaying(sound_menumus)){
    audio_play_sound(sound_menumus,10,true);
}

rIKmAN

No, because the audio is in a "create" event, and because I added a safety with "is_audio_playing".

Check :

In CREATE event :
Code:
if (!sound_isplaying(sound_menumus)){
    audio_play_sound(sound_menumus,10,true);
}
So is that code from your actual program, or just typed out from memory?

I ask because "sound_isplaying" would obviously give an error, you should be using "audio_is_playing".

R

Rackover

But you were right! It was "sound_isplaying" which was causing the glitch (beside the fact that it didn't return any errors or anything).

Fixed it by replacing it with "audio_is_playing".
Thanks !

rIKmAN

Ah so you are using the legacy sound system, OK.

Someone more experienced than me with regards to GM sound can confirm, but I didn't think it was possible to use the legacy system and the new system together as there is a tickbox that says "use new audio engine" which I assumed switched between one or the other.

Edit: Cool - see above about mixing/matching new and legacy audio commands :)