• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Are there any faster methods for tiling levels than clicking on e by one?

G

GamerFlamer2926

Top of the morning to all of y'all. So I'm making a top down shooter and I'm finding it very tedious to tile the levels one object at a time.

Is there a more efficient method at this task.

I'm also like a day old in the engine so I don't know a lot yet.

Phil Strahl

Sadly no, the room editor is still lagging behind in usability what you get in other IDEs. You might want to look into Parakeet 2, which is an alternative IDE for Game Maker. The room editor there is a bit more user friendly ;)

Z

zircher

Well, learning how to build rooms using random generation is one way. But, that's a slightly more advanced programming since you have create rules and implement them in code. Small steps, there are a lot of things to learn, so learning should be part of your enjoyment in the game dev hobby.

G

GamerFlamer2926

Sadly no, the room editor is still lagging behind in usability what you get in other IDEs. You might want to look into Parakeet 2, which is an alternative IDE for Game Maker. The room editor there is a bit more user friendly ;)
I looked into to it. Too bad there is not free version. I don't really have the means to pay for it.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
One way I usually do autotiling is to have a 1x1-tile-sized terrain object. Then i stretch it in the room editor, so a 3x2 platform is still one object, it's just bigger than normally. Each object automatically spawns tiles to cover itself on creation, whether it's 1x1 or 30x17 tiles big. The approach is really simple to set up, but you can extend it in many ways, such as making the objects create 'edge' tiles along its edges to make grass on top, more 'wall'-like edges on the left and right sides and stuff like that, or by making objects also spawn decoration tiles (bushes, tufts of grass, trees etc) on top of themselves.

J

jason_Evans

Top of the morning to all of y'all. So I'm making a top down shooter and I'm finding it very tedious to tile the levels one object at a time.

Is there a more efficient method at this task.

I'm also like a day old in the engine so I don't know a lot yet.
If you can search for a program called InkBridge, it will allow you to use Inkscape to import/export object in and out of a room that previously exists in GMS. I did this to mine when I had to go into a door and then scale the room (not the view), so that it appeared that the person actually went inside a building. Just scaled the objects accordingly then moved them down after I rescaled the room to fit the building the player went in. Worked good, but still working on changing speeds and all that so it matched the scale :p

RangerX

Well, you don't to have click every tile. If you have a bunch of the same tile to place, you hold shift and drag the mouse.
Hold control and drag you will delete all that passes under the mouse.

rIKmAN

If you can search for a program called InkBridge, it will allow you to use Inkscape to import/export object in and out of a room that previously exists in GMS. I did this to mine when I had to go into a door and then scale the room (not the view), so that it appeared that the person actually went inside a building. Just scaled the objects accordingly then moved them down after I rescaled the room to fit the building the player went in. Worked good, but still working on changing speeds and all that so it matched the scale :p
Never even heard of InkBridge, despite the fact it's been around since version 1.1 according to the video I just watched showing it off on Youtube.

Looks pretty good, and definitely better than than the GMS room editor, although I don't think I'll be using it myself personally.

B

Blazing

Not exactly efficient when it comes to game resources, but... say you have a very complicated room when it comes to tiles, you can go into GIMP and use the clipboard brush to tile individual backgrounds and have GMS load it as a background instead of tiles. GIMP's clipboard brush is super fast. I use it when creating my tilesets.

G

gamedev4life

you can hold shift and "paint" with the tiles; can also select multiple tiles and each click will place all those tiles at once

J

jason_Evans

Never even heard of InkBridge, despite the fact it's been around since version 1.1 according to the video I just watched showing it off on Youtube.

Looks pretty good, and definitely better than than the GMS room editor, although I don't think I'll be using it myself personally.

I'm glad you checked it out :) def an option if nothing else works with your flow style. Hope you find something soon! I know how it is to wait around on these things lol.

Genetix

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with GMS2 yet, but it looks like the room editor and tiling have made huge strides there. I would check it out and consider slowly moving your development to GMS2 if you like it as it is the future engine that many of us will be using.