Windows Compiled exe running at low fps

D

David Ruttan

I have compiled my project into an exe and at first it runs as it should with a steady framerate of 60 fps, but after a couple days or so it caps at around 45 making my game sluggish. In Studio it always runs at 60. If I try to reinstall from the same exe and run my game again it just runs at 45, but if I create another exe from within studio the problem is resolves and I'm able to run the program as many times as I want that day at 60 fps until the issue arbitrarily presents itself again. It seems strange I know, but has anyone else encountered this error before?

Thanks,

-David

D

David Ruttan

I just tried compilng to a single runtime exe and found out that the issue presents itself after I restart my computer.

D

David Ruttan

Seems like there is a memory leak in my game as it gradually increases during gameplay. I'm not sure if this addresses why my fps caps at 45 after a restart in my exe thoough.

W

Woix

I have compiled my project into an exe and at first it runs as it should with a steady framerate of 60 fps, but after a couple days or so it caps at around 45 making my game sluggish. In Studio it always runs at 60. If I try to reinstall from the same exe and run my game again it just runs at 45, but if I create another exe from within studio the problem is resolves and I'm able to run the program as many times as I want that day at 60 fps until the issue arbitrarily presents itself again. It seems strange I know, but has anyone else encountered this error before?

Thanks,

-David
I have the very same problem, i found out that when you have game maker opened and runs the exe file, the framerate of the game is at 60, the way it should be, but when you close game maker the fps drops to 42 +/-, i also tried to export to html 5 and see if it has the same issue, but no, 60 fps in html5, so i don't really know what's going on, did you manage to figure it out already?

Starturbo

Yeah, I'm having the same issue too. I know in the last version of GameMaker: Studio my compiled builds ran at full speed, but now they don't with the latest version. I don't think it's my game though, as I haven't added much since the last build. Certainly not anything to make it as slow as it is. I really think it's an issue with the latest GameMaker build, but perhaps only the Windows compiler. I hope this gets fixed soon, if it is.

D

David Ruttan

Unfortunately I have yet to resolve this. I just compile with the YYC for a performance boost as an insufficient band-aid.

K

KrashHash

I think I remember reading that .EXEs have a chance of having a memory leak; unless you clear out your asset cache in your project before compiling. Maybe try that?

D

David Ruttan

I think I remember reading that .EXEs have a chance of having a memory leak; unless you clear out your asset cache in your project before compiling. Maybe try that?
I've tried clearing the cache with no changes in fps when compiled. Thanks though.

Roa

This has happened to a couple people before. If you are on a laptop, its important to not your power settings when unplugged. Often times laptops will drop the monitor refresh rate to 30-45 as a measure of saving power. You need to change this in powersettings or in display control panal. If you full screen or use vsync, you will lock your max FPS to the monitors refresh.

D

David Ruttan

This has happened to a couple people before. If you are on a laptop, its important to not your power settings when unplugged. Often times laptops will drop the monitor refresh rate to 30-45 as a measure of saving power. You need to change this in powersettings or in display control panal. If you full screen or use vsync, you will lock your max FPS to the monitors refresh.
Power saving features are not the issue for me. My laptop acts as a workstation and is almost always plugged in. Vsync doesent explain why my fps goes from 44-55 to a consistent 60 when i open Gamemaker in the background.

D

David Ruttan

application_surface_enable(false) in your create event.

Insta performance upgrade ;)
Cool, my game is more responsive now with this when I run it inside Studio. Thanks. There is still however the issue with my compiled exe running at the capped frame-rate. Has anyone else resolved this yet?