• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android The SquaresBugs:Kyle's Berries

M

mazimadu

Hello GMC

As I long time user of GameMaker as well as a member since 2007, I am proud to release my first game in years. I worked on this game for over a year and wanted to make a fun platformer for android smartphones that play much like the classic adventure platformers of years past. With that I would like to give you:

Download from GooglePlay

~Story~
After spending a hot afternoon exploring his favorite forest, our hero Kyle is getting quite hungry. Luckily the forest is full of nice juicy berries just waiting to be eaten. Explore the forest, avoid danger and get to the really big berries at the end. Do you have what it takes to?

~Features~
- Fun platformer with over 8 Colorful levels
- Over 30 Achievements
- Responsive and customization controls.
- Bluetooth Gamepad Support!
- Google Cloud Game Saves included!
- Cool soundtrack composed by Ken "Coda" Snyder

~About the game~
This game and its graphics were created entirely by Obinna C. Emelumadu. All characters, locations and concepts are owned by Obinna C. Emelumadu.
Music was composed by Ken "Coda" Snyder. Visit his site at http://coda.s3m.us/

Please play, rate, review and enjoy!! All feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mazimadu

I welcome all reviews of this game. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

JacPete

i like this game, it has good puzzle elements in it and the graphics are nice and very good animated. maybe the music could be a bit hapier but maybe its just my opinon it fits perfect to the logic of this puzzle platformer. i would like to have a run button :D the game runs smooth and flawless.

M

mazimadu

i like this game, it has good puzzle elements in it and the graphics are nice and very good animated. maybe the music could be a bit hapier but maybe its just my opinon it fits perfect to the logic of this puzzle platformer. i would like to have a run button :D the game runs smooth and flawless.
Nice to see you liked it. I was considering an action buttoon, but I wanted the game to simple and focused to play. There will be one in the next game and I am planning for there to be a lot of running. But not in the style of endless runners. There are too many of those.

JacPete

forget to mention that the art here is done all by @mazimadu himself, this is pretty astounding and unique. very nicely done. and fits perfectly into the game. i am going to give it to my niece. i did a 5 star rating on the game.

Last edited:
A

Arturo

I really, really love the music. You made a good choice. I'm a big fan of old school chip tunes.

The game is quite fun and has consistent platform mechanics. The graphics are simple but nice.

My main point of criticism is about the GUI, menus, etc. a little ugly, but I think those will be very easy to polish.

And one thing that I found annoying is that after cancelling Google Play Integration (to save my progress?) which means I prefer to save locally, the game insists on logging in Google Play each time I return to the game (after using other app for example).

M

mazimadu

@Arturo
For my first game, I planned to keep the GUI simple. However since they lack style I can change them to one that is more pleasing
As for Google Play I can see how that can be an use. I never ran into this issue since I always played with it on.

The game is due for an update, so thanks for the feedback.

P

Perceval

Nice game Mazindu! I just love platformers ;).
I like the art and the music. Controls are good, just sometimes it feels a little bit slow.
Music is enjoyable too and I kinda like the bug :p

M

mazimadu

Nice game Mazindu! I just love platformers ;).
I like the art and the music. Controls are good, just sometimes it feels a little bit slow.
Music is enjoyable too and I kinda like the bug :p
The slow pace is deliberate. There are not that many people who have played a platformer on a phone and fewer who say they feel good to play. I tried to make the game accessible by reducing speed, focusing on level design and making the game about collecting and puzzle solving. That lends itself better to casual on the go play.

M

mazimadu

I just made an update to the Kyle's berries game.

WHAT'S NEW
- Modified jumping controls. Tapping has a longer jump
- Enhanced gamepad support. You can now choose the connected device.
- Minor level and graphics changes
- Bug fixes

P

Perceval

Ok I get it.
I like much the controls with the new version.

A

Adhiesc

Oh no, now I'm jealous with how your art kept simple but it fits perfectly... Unlike my game which I intended to add more detail, but haven't really progressed good enough. :s

M

mazimadu

It's a double edged sword. My screenshots don't do the game justice. People see the art and think it is a flash game. But in motion it feels completely different. I need to make a video trailer and will get around to it once I find a good way to capture video

B

Blakkid489

I have to say, this is quite enjoyable on the go when I'm bored. Most of these GM:S apps dont have that quality. Good work :cool:

M

mazimadu

Oh no, now I'm jealous with how your art kept simple but it fits perfectly... Unlike my game which I intended to add more detail, but haven't really progressed good enough. :s
Here is comic based on your comment. I will animate the sprite later.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Ok so I finally tried it and even though it ran kinda slow on my LG D415 phone (Android KitKat) I have nothing but good to say about it apart from that. It's fun, the graphics are nice, audio fits the game well. Level design is good, has a well thought out difficulty slope. The ads were long but didn't show excessively so I can help you make ad revenue while staying engaged which is also good. I recommend this game, and left a review. You should be proud. :D

M

mazimadu

Ok so I finally tried it and even though it ran kinda slow on my LG D415 phone (Android KitKat) I have nothing but good to say about it apadt from that. It's fun, the graphics are nice, audio fits the game well. Level design is good, has a well thought out difficulty slope. The ads were long but didn't show excessively so I can help you make ad revenue while staying engaged which is also good. I recommend this game, and left a review. You should be proud. :D
Did it run consistently slow? I tested it on a Droid RAZR D, a complete joke of a phone, on kitkat and it only ran slow on lv 3. That was due to the lighting effects of that stage.

It also was slow on an Infinix race max q, but that phone has an unauthorized version of Android that glitches on GM S games.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

It only does it on the level with the lighting effects. The rest of the game seems to run at the intended speed. :)

M

mazimadu

It only does it on the level with the lighting effects. The rest of the game seems to run at the intended speed. :)
That's good, and exactly how I expected it to run. That and level 8-2+ (spoiler) are the only levels that make use of the lighting effects. I will treat the users who have this problem the same as how Nintendo treats Pokemon Go users.
Maybe not that badly since I don't ask them to buy a new phone. ;)

M

mazimadu

I'm really sorry for the review being this negative:
http://dyingsilence.blogspot.com/2017/02/review-squaresbugs-kyles-berries-story.html

Don't feel discouraged, learn from your mistakes and you'll surely do better with your next game! :)
:D:DNo problemo. I really wanted to get the opinion of someone who is not into this genre. And your complaints are quite insightful.
Velocity based jumping is how I play my platformers. It gives me complete control over how the player makes gaps. This is how games like Mario/Sonic do their jumps and mastering it is essential for platformers like this. It was, believe it or not, more precise before the last update.
As for the small projectiles. My bad. I should have made them larger. A 3/10 is harsh but understandable. Nintendo hard platformers are rare on mobile. Not many people have the patience to play them let alone master them.

Next time I will make the game more accessible, but still keep the challenge!:D

D

DyingSilence

:D:DNo problemo. I really wanted to get the opinion of someone who is not into this genre. And your complaints are quite insightful.
Velocity based jumping is how I play my platformers. It gives me complete control over how the player makes gaps. This is how games like Mario/Sonic do their jumps and mastering it is essential for platformers like this. It was, believe it or not, more precise before the last update.
As for the small projectiles. My bad. I should have made them larger. A 3/10 is harsh but understandable. Nintendo hard platformers are rare on mobile. Not many people have the patience to play them let alone master them.

Next time I will make the game more accessible, but still keep the challenge!:D
Well, you're dead wrong about the genre, as I love platformers :D
There were times when i could do the last chapter of Super Meat Boy without dying. This is also a velocity based platformer, the difference is it felt so right. When you die, you restart immediately as a fast character, which means you can quickly go and try again in the place you've lastly failed in.
Well, as I like concept of a platformer requiring mastering, expecting the player to do this on mobile emulated buttons seems to be a little too much.

There are of course mobile platformers that are good. They may seem rare in the flood of what the industry thinks sales the most, but still, they are there.
There was once a game "Shift", but it's no longer on a market, which is a shame, because it was the greatest platformer I've ever seen on mobile devices.
Here's it's flash version:
http://armorgames.com/play/751/shift

You can delve into the internets to see how great it was on mobiles. I heartly recommend you doing so, for learning purposes.

M

mazimadu

Well, you're dead wrong about the genre, as I love platformers :D
There were times when i could do the last chapter of Super Meat Boy without dying. This is also a velocity based platformer, the difference is it felt so right. When you die, you restart immediately as a fast character, which means you can quickly go and try again in the place you've lastly failed in.
Well, as I like concept of a platformer requiring mastering, expecting the player to do this on mobile emulated buttons seems to be a little too much.

There are of course mobile platformers that are good. They may seem rare in the flood of what the industry thinks sales the most, but still, they are there.
There was once a game "Shift", but it's no longer on a market, which is a shame, because it was the greatest platformer I've ever seen on mobile devices.
Here's it's flash version:
http://armorgames.com/play/751/shift

You can delve into the internets to see how great it was on mobiles. I heartly recommend you doing so, for learning purposes.
I played shift in its original form back on Newgrounds along with the sequels. While I loved them, I was not really good st coming up with puzzles and instead choose to focus on Skill based platforming. I was aiming to make the design closer to Ripple Dot Zero and Level Up! Both these games have an emphasis on collecting and exploration, two things I wanted to have in this game. As for using mobile buttons, have you tried using a controller? I made a post on how to do so on my blog.

Maybe in my next game I can focus more on Puzzle solving over precision gameplay, even though it isn't going away.

D

DyingSilence

I played shift in its original form back on Newgrounds along with the sequels. While I loved them, I was not really good st coming up with puzzles and instead choose to focus on Skill based platforming. I was aiming to make the design closer to Ripple Dot Zero and Level Up! Both these games have an emphasis on collecting and exploration, two things I wanted to have in this game. As for using mobile buttons, have you tried using a controller? I made a post on how to do so on my blog.

Maybe in my next game I can focus more on Puzzle solving over precision gameplay, even though it isn't going away.
My point isn't about emphasising puzzle in the game. It's about it's mobile control scheme. It's genius:
If you touch the side of the screen, you'll go that way. If you touch the other side while going, you'll jump.

You still have platforming in your game, it's just adapted far better.

M

mazimadu

My point isn't about emphasising puzzle in the game. It's about it's mobile control scheme. It's genius:
If you touch the side of the screen, you'll go that way. If you touch the other side while going, you'll jump.

You still have platforming in your game, it's just adapted far better.
I just played a game called Shift Perspective and it doesn't play like what you described. However I did play this game and it looks close.
Again, this control scheme lends itself to puzzle platforming, but not "Precision" Platforming. Maybe I can add an option for it in the next game, but I have to test it thoroughly to be sure.

B

Blakkid489

Upgraded to apple so sadly I can't play this anymore.. . . . .

J

jvillapa

Friend hey, the game is very good,i love the animations, it really looks like a finished project, although I'd like you to look at the possibility of adding a background or something to the pause screen, I dont like that black screen, the game it self loses life whit that balck screen. Try to export it to new platforms to expand your collection and popularity. Good luck man :)

M

mazimadu

Friend hey, the game is very good,i love the animations, it really looks like a finished project, although I'd like you to look at the possibility of adding a background or something to the pause screen, I dont like that black screen, the game it self loses life whit that balck screen. Try to export it to new platforms to expand your collection and popularity. Good luck man :)
I have just made an update to the game. This version adds the background image. It looks good on every level.

I will now be making a trailer for it. It will be out in a few days.