• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

#Time2MeetYourMaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lemth

I think the smooth line that connects the Create code box with the box on the left side of the screen means something. New way of linking scripts to objects / events?

R

rui.rosario

Do I see a Node-based editor? As in, an instance node is connected to a Code node that has two pieces of Code: a Create event and a Script?
If so, that's neat :D

PS: I would love it if it was out in time for GMC Jam #2

Nallebeorn

tilemap_get_at_pixel? Wonder what that does...

I wish there were some collapsible code lines in that picture.
Kinda looks like the new version has a built-in system for tilemap collisions, eh? There also appears to be a function called camera_create() which you can somehow configure to follow the player.

And that line connecting the windows is... very intriguing, indeed.

D

Deleted member 467

Hey, guys, so apparently there's this tweet.

Aaaand unlike the other tweets "screenshot" here, it's actually the genuine stuff.

Dunno if it already counts as meeting the maker, though...?
Gotta be honest, I thought this was a joke tweet like I did. Now that it's real: :O

TehPilot

I can only surmise from that screenshot that dynamic and/or weak variable types are possibly staying.

I enjoy silly snippets using booleans in math functions, but it makes me feel dirty coming from a language like C# or Java.

B

Braffolk

Some really interesting things.

c1,c2 and c3 are yellow and they are being set. What could they be? Globalvars, localvars? More likely localvars, they sound like something you'd name a temp variable. Very likely not macros because there's no point placing variables in macros for syntax highlighting anymore, because they have added more syntax highlighting as seen from the image. And considering the context they don't seem like variables put in macros either. They look very much like local variables.

Regular variables are purple, different from white equal signs. I'm assuming they added intellisense now.

Also notice how the scrProcessPlayer is not in another window. the window is divided into two.

Another thing to notice is the ".g" after scrProcessPlayer. Is it .gml? Could this imply that we can edit different files inside GM? Such as javascript code.

And the most obvious one, Create event is separate. So we can finally have events as only code.

The arrows next to the selected line are interesting too. are they just to make things prettier or would something happen if you clicked on them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nallebeorn

c1,c2 and c3 are yellow and they are being set (therefore they can't be macros). What could they be? Globalvars or something else?.
Maybe local and instance variables are color-coded differently? c1, c2 and c3 definitely sound like the kind of names you give to temporary variables.

B

Braffolk

Maybe local and instance variables are color-coded differently? c1, c2 and c3 definitely sound like the kind of names you give to temporary variables.
Very possible.The code starts at line 9 afterall.

R

R34LD34L

Ive been studying this pic for the longest amount of time...me and braff and all my friends, can you guys just let a corner more and the answers to my questions will be revealed.

B

Braffolk

Why couldn't they be macros? You could set a macro to "global.thing" and every instance of that macro will be replaced with "global.thing" at compile time.
That's usually not the way that yoyogames advertises macros. That's extremely unlikely. People don't usually use them that way.

B

Braffolk

I thought that's why they renamed them from "Constants" to "Macros"? That's what macro means, and I use macros in that way almost exclusively.
That's not what macros are for, and it would make absolutely no sense for that to be the case. What's done pre-compile is that all macros in the code are replaced with whatever is inside the macro. And THEN the code is compiled. if you want your globalvars shorter, you use globalvar myvar;

Hence you could have a macro that is "{" and just replace all { with that and it will compile perfectly fine despite the intellisense errors.

It would make absolutely no sense for yoyogames to advertise using them in such an useless manner.

Edit: This was used before for the syntax highlighting, so you are right about GMS current version, but they have clearly added more highlighting in this version which would mean that you don't need to do that anymore.

N

NPT

c1,c2 and c3 are yellow and they are being set (therefore they can't be macros). What could they be? Globalvars, localvars? More likely localvars, they sound like something you'd name a temp variable.
I don't think the colour of c1, c2, c3 are reflective of anything with GM, but rather the special effects editor used on the picture. This is obvious when you compare the colour of the if statement (line 28) j and the if statement on line 12.

B

Braffolk

I don't think the colour of c1, c2, c3 are reflective of anything with GM, but rather the special effects editor used on the picture. This is obvious when you compare the colour of the if statement (line 28) j and the if statement on line 12.
Yellow is consistent in all three of those though. And the three equal signs next to them are white and have no yellowish tint. The only major special effect right there seems to be the blueish light coming from the bottom right.

Cpaz

This is... Going to be something... (I have no response. Considering I have no idea what I'm looking at :p)

B

Braffolk

could camera_create and tilemap_get_at_pixel be new functions?

I'm assuming they are, because of the naming convention that is being used. We can see one script that is named scrProcessPlayer, which is very different from camera_create for example. It would make sense for it to be named cameraCreate or scrCameraCreate. Did the writer of this code just leave an inconsistency in, or are those really new functions?

R

R34LD34L

could camera_create and tilemap_get_at_pixel be new functions?

I'm assuming they are, because of the naming convention that is being used. We can see one script that is named scrProcessPlayer, which is very different from camera_create for example. It would make sense for it to be named cameraCreate or scrCameraCreate. Did the writer of this code just leave an inconsistency in, or are those really new functions?
Nah that would be embarassing and make everyone mad, i feel like all this was on purpose o_O we are meant to decipher and analyze the md5 of perlin noise.

zargy

The background suggests an interface similar to Unreal blueprints, which will probably be replacing DnD. I don't think the green line is actually connected to the code window, because there isn't any kind of connector.

zargy

The one thing I'm worried about is resource management. It wasn't good in GMS, and I'm hoping they actually revamped the resource system so we can actually work on large projects effectively.

A

AnonyMouse

No way to release info before Monday, nobody will do that. Releasing info or a product in Friday or Saturday is usually a mistake so I believe tomorrow will happen nothing.

U

Untouch

Perhaps c1, c2 and c3 are local variables?
The green tabs are breakpoints, you can do that in GM already.

What does stand out to me is the function being obscured, (something)era_create and something about allowing the player.

era = camera? If there's more of a focus on 3D that would explain it.

Another thing, the second code box ends in .g (which I'm going to assume is .gml).
.gml is only used in extensions, and the script suggests that it won't be an extension (scr).

Perhaps we're getting more than just gml this time?

Last edited by a moderator:

DesArts

The connecting wavy line is added in to this image in post, it's not part of an original screen shot since you can look at the pixelation of the windows - it's not shown on that line, and a few other things shown don't line up either. I definitely think this is more of a mockup image than an actual screen shot.

I should of course clarify that this doesn't really matter. Just an interesting note! :)

Last edited:

DesArts

They aren't bluffing it's just touched up to fit the image's design I'm guessing. I don't think anything was removed/added, just nice effects for this promotional image.

m0zzy

In all this, the bit i cant work out, is .. the second window called scrProcessPlayer.g .. where 'scr' usually means 'Script' but it isnt a script, it looks like more of a 'Obj' .. Object .. ?!!

XanthorXIII

They aren't bluffing it's just touched up to fit the image's design I'm guessing. I don't think anything was removed/added, just nice effects for this promotional image.
I'm talking about the teasing their doing. The video was fine but after that enough of that

DesArts

I'm really interested in this code editor it's definitely shown a lot of differences, I'd LOVE to see it do away with DnD however I'm not sure how much GMS2 will cater towards beginners. Perhaps it still will in entirely new ways.

Posho

I'm really interested in this code editor it's definitely shown a lot of differences, I'd LOVE to see it do away with DnD however I'm not sure how much GMS2 will cater towards beginners. Perhaps it still will in entirely new ways.
Have you seen the new logo? The new logo isn't joking around.
We left the Smiley Cog era a long time ago, sir.
We're not joking around anymore -I repeat- WE'RE NOT JOKING AROUND ANYMORE.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAlol
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Posho

If I could ask for new features on the U.I. is a way to hide the Drag-N-Drop icons so :cool::cool::cool:reeeeal pros (like me, obvz.):cool::(:cool: can look even :cool::cool::cool:moooore pro:cool::cool::cool: when doing games for children and stuff.
Also, a way to see all declared variables per Object, and where they are declared. That's be nice.

A

Andy

I am happy to see the code looks similar to current GML. I wounder how compatible GMS1 and GMS2 will be.

G

GhostlyFeline

No! Not yet! I'm too young!

Never mind, false alarm. The end times are not yet upon us. It's just GMS 2. I really hope there's a good discount for current users, otherwise I'm probably gonna wait a little while before switching.

Status
Not open for further replies.