A problem creating a new sprite.

U

Uhfgood

So basically I just wanted to set the size of a new sprite. In the docs you just create a new sprite and then set it's width and height. I'm going through a built in tutorial (beginner tut, gm basics), and it says to load or create a new sprite. I wanted to do this in GM:S however, whenever I create a new sprite it always makes it 32x32 and I can't seem to find some place to change the resolution. I'm sure this is something very simple, but either the tutorial project stops you, or maybe the fact that GM does it a bit differently? (Maybe I have to technically scale the sprite and then edit it from there or something)

So what do I do to set the width and height of a new sprite?

S

SpilledMilk

I think it's the tutorial part,
Once you click to make a new sprite you'll be presented with the dimension settings

Jakylgamer

yes you have to do
file > new > then it will ask for dimensions
or
click the second icon next to the green check mark

U

Uhfgood

Basically I thought I had hit the icon next to the green check mark and didn't get the pop up for dimensions -- I'm not sure why, either I clicked on something else, or it was there and I didn't see it (sometimes the dialogs are small enough that it looks similar to the background) -- But that works (both work) thanks for the help!

D

DariusWolfe

Additionally, there's an option under the Transform drop-down to resize the image, or to resize the canvas. I strongly recommend against ever up-sizing a sprite, but if you resize, it's best to do it in square numbers (1/4x,1/2x,2x,4x,etc) if possible.

Also, if you resize it and it's not quite right, revert it to the original size before attempting to resize again, as you'll lose more and more of the sprite details with each resize; If it turns out that cutting by half, then another half is just right, it's better to go back to the original and cut it to a quarter of the size, just once. Especially with transparency, it's definitely best to manually edit edges after you've re-sized, as well, so that it looks like it's supposed to.