• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Spawning off Screen move towards the center[SOLVED]

K

Karrlem

Hello all, I would like to know how to go about having enemies spawn outside of my room and move towards the center of the room.

Bingdom

Googledom
CREATE EVENT:
Code:
x = choose(-random(100), room_width + random(100)); //Outside the left and right side of the room up to 100 pixels
y = choose(-random(100), room_height + random(100));

direction = point_direction(x,y,room_width/2,room_height/2);
speed = 2;
So basically what happens the choose() chooses either of the two values.

point_direction() starts from where enemy is, then points towards the center of the room

speed is used to set the speed of the enemy

K

Karrlem

CREATE EVENT:
Code:
x = choose(-random(100), room_width + random(100)); //Outside the left and right side of the room up to 100 pixels

speed = 2;

point_direction() starts from where enemy is, then points towards the center of the room

That works perfect! Thank you soo much for the help!

K

Karrlem

CREATE EVENT:
Code:

speed = 2;

I only got one question, I realized that it works properly but everything only spawns from the four corners of the screen. Do you know of a fix?

Bingdom

Googledom
Sure, here is something that I tested and should work. ;)
Code:
if irandom(1) == 0 {
    y = choose(-random(100), room_height + random(100)); //Come from either top or bottom
    x = random(room_width);
} else {
    x = choose(-random(100), room_width + random(100)); //Come from either left or right
    y = random(room_height);
}

K

Karrlem

Sure, here is something that I tested and should work. ;)
Code:
if irandom(1) == 0 {
    y = choose(-random(100), room_height + random(100)); //Come from either top or bottom
    x = random(room_width);
} else {
    x = choose(-random(100), room_width + random(100)); //Come from either left or right
    y = random(room_height);
}
Works! Thanks again!!