Legacy GM MMO capable?

D

DyingSilence

Imagine this:

Four random guys hit "Play", one of them becomes a host and they are found and connected to each other automatically.

I've seen TCP/IP connections in GM, but they don't seem to be capable of this. What's the best way to make a this in GM? Do i need to put up a special dedicated server with software that supports this game?

I mean, ideally i'd like it to just read player's skill rating from a file and match him with similar players. Can i do it using game code only?

jo-thijs

You'll need a dedicated server (this or allowing people to set up a server at their device).
The problem is, how are the players automatically going to find each other?
This dedicated server can be made in GameMaker, can be a PHP website, can even be C++.
Once the players have found each other, it is technically seen possible to connect them to each other without further communication through the server.
You'll need techniques like UDP holepunching for that though.

Mornedil

I don't have personal experience with this, but I remember that someone made an online game where players connected automatically through a method called udp hole punching.
... this was a while ago, but if I remember correctly the game was called "Duck vs Potato", and I recall the creator writing about his development process as well. might be worth googling.

H

Homunculus

I don't have much experience with online games, but why shouldn't it be possible once you have TCP/IP and UDP connections? If one of the players acts as host, you don't even need any special software on a server, but you'll probably need some kind of website setup that allows you to send matchmaking requests through http and get back a list of available players (along with their extra data).

This is not even close to an MMO though, MMOs generally speaking have all players connected to a main server (or a distributed server setup) running a server software for the game

jo-thijs

I don't have personal experience with this, but I remember that someone made an online game where players connected automatically through a method called udp hole punching.
... this was a while ago, but if I remember correctly the game was called "Duck vs Potato", and I recall the creator writing about his development process as well. might be worth googling.
Sure, but UDP holepunching still requires a dedicated server for creating the connection.

I don't have much experience with online games, but why shouldn't it be possible once you have TCP/IP and UDP connections? If one of the players acts as host, you don't even need any special software on a server, but you'll probably need some kind of website setup that allows you to send matchmaking requests through http and get back a list of available players (along with their extra data).

This is not even close to an MMO though, MMOs generally speaking have all players connected to a main server (or a distributed server setup) running a server software for the game
Sure, but the OP doesn't have a TCP or UDP connection between the players yet.

H

Homunculus

Sure, but the OP doesn't have a TCP or UDP connection between the players yet.
That's why I suggested having a website for the matchmaking, where players looking for a game post their availability (along with IP address) in order to later create the connection