• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM GMS (Beta) Version 1.4.1760

It's beyond ridiculous that the critical libpng issue has not been solved yet. This platform is being presented(and priced) as a professional tool, and now anyone who relies on it for Android development has been left out to dry. The fix should have been rushed out as quickly as humanly possible, not rolled into a full regular update.

This is costing people money. Very unprofessional.

gnysek

It's beyond ridiculous that the critical libpng issue has not been solved yet. This platform is being presented(and priced) as a professional tool, and now anyone who relies on it for Android development has been left out to dry. The fix should have been rushed out as quickly as humanly possible, not rolled into a full regular update.

This is costing people money. Very unprofessional.
http://store.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio/release-notes-studio.html

• Fixed Google submission/security issue by upgrading libPNG to v1.4.19
I don't understand why you say it's not fixed, when it is. Maybe it's not on stable channel yet, but I assure you, that if there's no new bugs fixed in 1.4.1760, exactly same binary version as beta will be on stable channel.

SnoutUp

I don't understand why you say it's not fixed, when it is. Maybe it's not on stable channel yet, but I assure you, that if there's no new bugs fixed in 1.4.1760, exactly same binary version as beta will be on stable channel.
Community Tech Support looks like a warzone after 1.4.1760 and it has severe performance issues related to Android. Say what you want, libpng fix had to be a small fix build following 1.4.1757 released month(s) before deadline. That being said, I was still able to upload APK to beta (Google Play beta channel, not using GM beta) and looking forward for someone to confirm if the deadline actually blocks vulnerable APKs from going to the public releases.

Last edited:
F

Francis Thong

I also agree that libpng fix had to be a small fix build following 1.4.1757.
I don't think much people will risk using 1.4.1760 until it is stable.

I had to use BETA for updating my apps on the store, and 2 of them I could not update since there is a bug with virtual keys in this version.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
What is the bug with Virtual Keys? Have you filed a bug and if so what is the help ticket number or the bug number (if it has been promoted)

Russell

C

CHANG UP HAN

1.4.1760 is not stable version!!!

not working skeleton_attachment_create function

rwkay, do you know bug that skeleton_attachment_create use it to broken textures?

-Sorry i'm studying English

Last edited by a moderator:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@obsidiannovels - replied on the zendesk ticket (issue is not with virtual_key_show but with the value being passed in, it is not a number but is set to undefined, without your project to look at it is difficult to say how that has happened, check to see what is happening to that variable)

@CHANG UP HAN - All versions have issues in some areas - without an issue being filed I cannot comment on a specific function, we are currently updating the Spine runtime to a very recent version and I know we have big changes coming up over the next month for Spine users - please report a bug (Help -> Report a bug) with a sample project that illustrates the issue and we will take a look

Russell

Here's code that messes things up:

Code:
else if (argument0 == 3) {
//room start:
for (i=1;i<=4;i+=1;) {
exe=(i+1)*110;
global.knapptard[i]=virtual_key_add(exe,y,exe+100,y+100,key[i]);
}
}
else if (argument0 == 4) {
//ROOM END
for (ibm=1;ibm<=4;ibm+=1;) {
virtual_key_delete(global.knapptard[ibm]);
}
}
The error is thrown in the room-end code.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@obsidiannovels - please reply to the hep ticket and not here (not everyone wants to see this discussion) - but your error referred to the virtual_key_show function not the add or delete function

Andrey

Do not run Runner through wi-fi.
A usb cable Runner started. However, in subsequent cases, through wi-fi Runner does not start.

android-ndk-r12b
jdk1.8.0_102
Build tools: 24.0.2
Support Lib: 23.2.1

Tim

@CHANG UP HAN - [snip] we are currently updating the Spine runtime to a very recent version and I know we have big changes coming up over the next month for Spine users [snip]

Russell

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Looking forward to this particular update just for the Spine stuff!

-Tim

T

Toppu

I also agree that libpng fix had to be a small fix build following 1.4.1757.
Everybody has agreed to that long ago, and there wasn't a single GMS user insisting that it shouldn't be released ahead of all other updates from the EA/beta. The only problem we have is that GMS staff doesn't give a damn about what customers who paid for their software want.

zbox

GMC Elder
Thank god to whoever updated the facebook sdk from the monolithic pile of garbage that was facebook sdk3

clee2005

@zbox does the new Facebook extension work with 1757? I tried it, but found I was forced to put Android Min SDK up to 15 (which is a bit of jump from our supported 11), and even when I did I wasn't able to build. I got the latest Google Play Extension update as well. Ended up with :

MissingRegistered: Missing registered class

../../src/main/AndroidManifest.xml:127: Class referenced in the manifest, com.yoyogames.FacebookActivity, was not found in the project or the libraries
124 <activity android:name="com.google.android.gms.ads.AdActivity" android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenLayout|uiMode|screenSize|smallestScreenSize" />
126 <!-- activities here -->
127 <activity android:name="com.yoyogames.FacebookActivity"/>
128 <activity android:name="com.facebook.LoginActivity"/>

../../src/main/AndroidManifest.xml:128: Class referenced in the manifest, com.facebook.LoginActivity, was not found in the project or the libraries
126 <!-- activities here -->
127 <activity android:name="com.yoyogames.FacebookActivity"/>
128 <activity android:name="com.facebook.LoginActivity"/>

Couldn't find anything useful about this.

As I said in my post, GMS is presented as a professional product.

Therefore if the fix isn't in stable, it isn't fixed.

zbox

GMC Elder
@zbox does the new Facebook extension work with 1757? I tried it, but found I was forced to put Android Min SDK up to 15 (which is a bit of jump from our supported 11), and even when I did I wasn't able to build. I got the latest Google Play Extension update as well. Ended up with :

MissingRegistered: Missing registered class

Couldn't find anything useful about this.
Hmm sorry mate no clue the android one worked for me brilliantly as a drag and drop in upgrade.

The iOS version however is virtually unuseable due to an oversight/bug on YYGs behalf. Ive filed a bug but I have a workaround if anyone needs it. Other than that works great.

A

Arturo

I've been testing new Facebook (1.2.1) extension with Android Module. Apart from changing Min SDK to 15 as requested in the log, everything related with FB runs fine with or without FB app installed in the device.

It crashes on Bluestacks but I think is a problem related with BS, because everything runs ok on Koplayer which is more stable.

I still have to make some tests on some other real devices though.

A

Arturo

I've noticed that some of the graphic assets are now in a wrong texture group.

I've exported the project from 1757 and imported into 1760.

T

Toppu

All submissions of apps compiled with the iOS module are now rejected by App Store with this message:

Your app uses or references the following non-public APIs:

- setup

The use of non-public APIs is not permitted on the App Store because it can lead to a poor user experience should these APIs change.
So the iOS export module is completely unusable now.

What about your current apps on the app store? Do they work on devices with the latest iOS?
I still recall the time where all my apps stopped working altogether after Apple updated their iOS, and it took forever before YoYo released a fix for it.

T

Toppu

What about your current apps on the app store? Do they work on devices with the latest iOS?
I still recall the time where all my apps stopped working altogether after Apple updated their iOS, and it took forever before YoYo released a fix for it.
Why, thank you for giving me one more reason to worry about. Didn't test that as yet.

S

sparwen

so... whats the solution? Just wait for the next stable update?
But do you really need to put min 15 sdk for the new facebook extension to work?
It´s quite a step from the previous min 9 sdk?

rIKmAN

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Looking forward to this particular update just for the Spine stuff!

-Tim
Me too - I was really disappointed at the Spine support given how it is presented front and centre on the website as a big supported feature.

Looking forward to the update, hope I'm not disappointed again.

Thank god to whoever updated the facebook sdk from the monolithic pile of garbage that was facebook sdk3
I've been testing new Facebook (1.2.1) extension with Android Module. Apart from changing Min SDK to 15 as requested in the log, everything related with FB runs fine with or without FB app installed in the device.
Could either of you point me to the best tutorial for Facebook integration / general feature testing?

I know there is an "official" one but from what I have read on the forum it is really outdated and no longer works the way it is presented in the tutorial.

Reactions: Tim
B

Bladevampirek

Richard from Yoyogames messaged me through the help ticket that I've opened, they have now upgraded the google play extension & .apk expansion pack.
1. when I downgraded my build tools to 24 (since Yoyogames doesn't support over 24 build tools.)
2. deleted the old extension and expansion packs from my project.
3. upgraded my Game Maker Studio's Google Play Extension and .Apk Expansion packs.
4. cleared my compiler cache by the run button, temp directory, asset cache, backup directory cache through the file - preferences.
5. it's now building successfully.
I've been waiting on Google play to approve it, they did. Now the libpng update is installed on my larger game. I am now back in business, thanks again for all of your help good job patching the glitch.
Game Maker (beta) 1.4.1760
Jdk 1.8
nkd 12b
for my Sdk Manager I have
build tools 24
Android Support Library 23.2.1
Android Support Repository 36
----
Also do not forget to set your global settings as well.

A

Arturo

But do you really need to put min 15 sdk for the new facebook extension to work?
It´s quite a step from the previous min 9 sdk?
Yes, it's needed. I haven't found important differences

A

Arturo

Could either of you point me to the best tutorial for Facebook integration / general feature testing?
I don't know any except the official. You should try the demo included and adapt to your needs

S

sparwen

Richard from Yoyogames messaged me through the help ticket that I've opened, they have now upgraded the google play extension & .apk expansion pack.
1. when I downgraded my build tools to 24 (since Yoyogames doesn't support over 24 build tools.)
2. deleted the old extension and expansion packs from my project.
3. upgraded my Game Maker Studio's Google Play Extension and .Apk Expansion packs.
4. cleared my compiler cache by the run button, temp directory, asset cache, backup directory cache through the file - preferences.
5. it's now building successfully.
I've been waiting on Google play to approve it, they did. Now the libpng update is installed on my larger game. I am now back in business, thanks again for all of your help good job patching the glitch.
Game Maker (beta) 1.4.1760
Jdk 1.8
nkd 12b
for my Sdk Manager I have
build tools 24
Android Support Library 23.2.1
Android Support Repository 36
----
Also do not forget to set your global settings as well.
Okey sweet! Good to hear!
But if you not running BETA 1.4.1760 (Im running stable 1.4.1757)
This would probably not work right?

Regards

rIKmAN

I don't know any except the official. You should try the demo included and adapt to your needs
I'll be giving it a go this weekend, but from reading other forum posts it does not work anymore as the way the Facebook integration works has completely changed.

Thanks for the reply.

A

Arturo

Well, maybe I'm not making and extensive use of Facebook functions in my game, but at least functions:

facebook_init()
facebook_login()
facebook_logout()
facebook_dialog()
facebook_status()
facebook_graph_request()

Worked the same way for my particular circumstances. I haven't had to change a single line of code for them to work.

The only different thing was that now I always have to confirm again (just click OK on the dialog) each time the player logs in independently of whoever player was logged in before.

For example: if Player 1 is Logged In, close the game, open the game again and log in with the same player, a dialog opens asking to confirm login authorization (not asking for credentials), when with prevous version of FB implementation the player logged in without dialogs. Of course if you try to log in with a different player, then user and password dialog will show up as ever.

H

Homunculus

Looks like ds_list_sort is broken in this version on HTML5, calling ds_list_sort(some_list,true) doesn't seem affect the list in any way.

F

FluencyGames

The function ds_map_write() under HTML does not output embedded maps correctly. The first-level key->data pairs are written correctly, but the embedded map is written as { "_te": 1, "Object": 1 }. Works correctly under windows.

Example project here

Logging bug report now.

S

sparwen

Is there anyway to get an old version of facebook extension? (1.2.0)

When the sprites are still being loaded after startup (which was changed in this version) I'm unable to access subfolders in the sprite selection dropdown menu of the object properties. The dropdown menu keeps flashing, probably because it's refreshing, and in that time the subfolders do not expand to show their contents.

For example, when the cursor is on 'Powerups' it doesn't show its content when sprites are still being loaded. Also the dropdown menu keeps flashing.

Everything works fine when all sprites are loaded.

I will submit a request. Anyone else having this problem?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Did someone silently bump the minimum iOS build target to 8.0 on 1.4.1763?

If it isn't intentional, please change it back to the minimum that you support. Last week I finally brought myself to learning iOS development for real and bought a discounted iPod Touch 4G to play with (seeing that it was supported on the helpdesk articles and the Manual), tried for hours getting compiles to work. It turns out 1.99.505 is the last version that will work with it.

If it is intentional, the list of supported devices on the helpdesk article and the Manual need to be updated. The following can't have 8.0+ installed on it and XCode will refuse to compile for them:
  • iPhone 4 (max 7.1.2)
  • iPod Touch 3G (max 5.1.1), 4G (max 6.1.6)
  • iPad 1 (max 5.1.1)
Also note that you have to get XCode 7.3.1 or lower to compile for these, the default version as of the time of writing (8.1) won't support them.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This is an XCode 8 issue and not something we introduced, Apple have a habit of disallowing older devices with the newer software, we need to keep up to date with any changes that they introduce.

We will update the documentation accordingly - but we cannot do anything about it ourselves.

Russell

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
This is an XCode 8 issue and not something we introduced, Apple have a habit of disallowing older devices with the newer software, we need to keep up to date with any changes that they introduce.

We will update the documentation accordingly - but we cannot do anything about it ourselves.

Russell
Then can you please be more proactive in announcing these changes while releasing future updates?

When the new Facebook, advertising and Google extensions came out for Android, I didn't see any announcements. The result was pages upon pages of near-identical complaints about extension-triggered failed compiles on Community Tech Support. Hardly anyone knew what to do or what you did to it.

Here the iOS support versions have changed, and I haven't seen any announcements about it. App authors using GMS now need to inform clients and possibly update their equipment, and the only way for them to find out is the way I did. Again hardly anyone knew what to do or what you did to it.

I'd like to see the Announcements forum and the equivalent helpdesk categories be put to better use for this purpose. It shouldn't be just about the glitz and glam.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We try to be proactive - in this occasion we had not noticed the change until you asked.

I will talk to QA about getting the announcements more front and centre in the future, the extensions themselves should be prompting that updates are ready on each of them, we cannot announce everything that has changed on our Social Media or here on the GMC (that just becomes too laborious and time consuming, we are only a small company)

It looks like Apple are deliberately killing off these older devices from any new apps on the App Store - so they cannot be used for development.

Russell

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Then can you please be more proactive in announcing these changes while releasing future updates?
Russell's not correct there, btw: the Required SDKs FAQ we link to at the top of every release has had this info for a while. The iPad 1 had Xcode support for quite a while after the other two devices you mention and we stopped calling those two out a long time ago.

Yes, we do need to update the Helpdesk article you refer to - this has been missed.

Also, we didn't make any change - Xcode/Apple did, and we simply made sure we were compliant with the new way - so it would be a bit odd for us to announce that we've made a change to stop supporting devices. If you're an Apple developer, then you will get their e-mails and newsletters (we all do this, right?), which informs you of the change in advance. Btw, just to dispel any notion we get more advance warning from Apple than you and so we should be able to provide announcements in advance: we don't, so at best we could do a "We've had reports/we've noticed Apple have now changed something and we'll make sure the next release supports this change" thread.

I'd love it if we could do proper announcement threads well in advance, but unfortunately that's not possible in the vast majority of cases. And if we did one every time Apple or Google changed something at the moment we'd never get any work done...

J

jackhigh24

@Dan im an apple dev and they have not told me about this change in anyway, bit gutted now as iv got the same ipod as frostycat so now wont be able to test, although i can still compile to mine with EA506, but anyway il have to get a 5 gen now then or any other ios touch device that i can get cheap for future stuff.

gnysek

For me, creating sprites thumbnails in resource tree takes around 10 minutes, and I cannot add any objects to room during this time, as menustrip is blinking...

JacPete

using latest beta build with android export with super mage world, works flawless. the performance was better on 757 but not much. s4 mini has like spikes now. i think with stable it will go back to full performance, otherwise i need to do some tweaking. however its an great update :) good job.

P

psyke

'room_goto' function causes a memory leak!
I can confirm this. If I change or restart a room, the memory increases and doesn't goes down anymore.

How to reproduce: create an object with Key Press Event ("R") with the code: room_restart();
Add this object to an empty room, run the game and spam the "R" key, the memory will keep increasing (you can see that in the Task Manager). I hope you guys can fix this in the next version.

Thanks!

S

springapps

in app billing permission never appear, i try use extension and go to google play service extension and add billing permission but not work i try a lot of thinks i import all google extension i try different android sdk but nothing work i can't add billing permission to my game, i try to edit the manifest manually to add the permission also not work , please help me I'm stuck since a long time with this problem

A

Ax31

The problem i have is that my character's bounding boxes are huge (even worse on other levels) and it makes my character spawn rotated and out of place, i'vebeen battling with this error since i first got the sooftware, around 2015, and it's annoying to see it's still there, preventing me to finish the idea that got me pay for this software, i'm using physics and the problem occurs when i try to implement different spawn locations, regardless of the method i use.