• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Zero G Fighter

H

Hrcnfloyd

DOWNLOAD AND PLAY IT TODAY FOR FREE! (Version 0.2.1 | PC | 69Mb Install)

Key Board and Mouse Controls

Mouse to Aim
Left Mouse Button - Primary Weapon
Right Mouse Button - Secondary Weapon
W,A,S,D - Move ship
Q,E, and R - Activate Abilities when Charged

Gamepad Controls

(Menu option have not been added so the game detects and uses connected controllers)

Left Stick to Move, Right Stick to Aim
Right Trigger - Primary Weapon
Left Trigger - Secondary Weapon
X, A, and B - Activate Abilities when Charged
Start / Select to pause
Up and Down on the D-Pad will navigate the main menu

Zero G Fighter

ZGF is an Arcade style, 2D, top down, physics based, space combat game!
Pilot your ship through hazardous environments using thrusters to maneuver
safely around debris and space objects while fighting off an alien horde.
  • Zero G Friction-less Space Combat!
  • Single player campaign spanning four environments
  • Launch into instant action with randomized skirmish mode
  • Plenty of aliens to blast to pieces
Follow @2ndSatGamer on Twitter or visit http://www.spacecampgames.com/

GAME PLAY VIDEO

https://www.youtube....h?v=rruowhNCkTI

SCREENSHOTS

GIFS

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
This is a very ambitious project. I've played a couple of times, and I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. But I feel like I just scratched the surface.

After installing the game, it opened with a nice looking menu. And the background image was there, along with some music. So even before the game starts, the theme and mood are established. That adds a professional touch.

I cycled through the menu options to see what was available. Everything seemed to work fine. The CONTROLS screen was very informative and clear to understand. An option to use the arrow keys would be good -- although that would make the other two keys (E and Q) difficult to replicate. So I understand the decision to use WASD.

I settled on the windowed mode, and started the main game. The controls and ship movement felt good. Nice gravity and inertia effects. And the sounds were good too. And those graphics are VERY nice. Did you do all this artwork yourself?

My problems was with the difficulty of staying alive. I was getting the hang of it, when I accidentally piloted the ship too far off screen and couldn't recover. Not sure what's going on there. It seemed like the speed just accelerated too rapidly. Maybe a glitch?

I played again in the skirmish mode to practice a bit. It was still pretty hard, with all the various enemies attacking, and the obstacles to avoid. But it's manageable. So I'll probably go back to this a few more times to see what's there. It nothing else, it's a visual feast to look at.

Overall, this seems quite professional. I think it should do well, so good luck with it.

H

Hrcnfloyd

Thanks for the Feedback! To answer chance's question, yes I did all of the art coding and sound effects. The music was composed by Albert James, a musician I met on the this Forum, (Well, the old GMC forum.)

Y

yakmoon

Cool mhaan, i played it for 10 min, the art is so satisfying .

M

mariospants

Bullsh*t. Seriously? No sales at all? You have to write a post-mortem for Gamasutra, man. You must. What kind of marketing/promotion did you do?

BTW, did you do an Android version? I can't remember. If you did, can you please put a nice, phat link somewhere on here?

H

Hrcnfloyd

You have to write a post-mortem for Gamasutra, man. You must.
Ha ha!

"How I made a video game, did not market it, and got a fully predictable result."

So here's the rub. I work full time as a web developer at a local community college. I got the crazy idea to make video games when I did some freelance web work for a local indie. I wanted to do contract art for them, but they didn't like my portfolio. Which is fair. Even though I went to art school I've been working as a web developer for a long time, so my illustration portfolio is not great.

I made enough money doing freelance web work that my equipment is pretty much paid for. My full time job pays the bills, keeps the family fed, and my Xbox flush in fresh games. I grabbed a pro license for Game Maker Studio to help a buddy out with his top down shooter which never released. No biggie. I'll just do this myself.

I started exploring tutorials to learn how to code in Game Maker which led me to Tom Francis' How to Make a Game with No Experience YouTube playlist. Thanks Tom!

Following Tom's tutorials led to my first prototype. I began to use Game Makers' physics engine and that's where my prototype diverged from Tom's tutorials. I coded, made art, read documentation, haunted forums, Googled solutions for a year and made Zero G Fighter.

I learned along the way that:

If you don't destroy your particle systems properly you create a massive memory leak for several months and your game doesn't work right for many people you may share it with. I learned how to use global variables incorrectly. (Don't worry I've learned from that mistake). I learned that enumerators and arrays aren't that scary once you figure them out.

I've learned that making a game by yourself isn't that hard. Connecting with people, play testing, taking feedback, and making your game better and better through relentless polish is really damned hard. Making your game stand out from the thousands of other indie games and devs just like you is really hard unless you devote as much energy to communicating about your game as you do to making it.

And I knew this. I read Gamasutra, I follow video game news, I watch GDC presentations when they are made available. I failed to communicate and I failed to follow through on polishing my game to the best it could be.

In January 2016, I self published Zero G Fighter on itch.io and allowed folks to pay what they wish for it. To this date and without marketing (other than some occasional posts to Twitter) Zero G Fighter has received 1092 views on itch.io and a total of 80 downloads. Two downloads converted into sales totaling $6.99.

This past September I picked up the UWP module for Game Maker Studio for a significantly reduced price via a Humble Bundle. I created a UWP app, submitted to Microsoft, passed cert, and quietly launched the game on the Windows store for Windows 10 PC's. The game has received one sale totaling $1.99.

I'm not devastated by lack of sales. I have a full time job. I'm gonna be alright. What I did was make a game, not very well, did not have patience with the development of the game, and then bumbled my way through the publishing process with little to no forethought. I'm not special in this regard.

Ultimately I made a game and I published it. Zero G Fighter is out there. I am glad it's out there, and I am proud of it.

Aviox

Downloaded and played the first mission. This game has a lot of potential, but I have some suggestions for you:
  • Controls feel very clunky. Controlling my ship is the hardest part of the game. I'd suggest changing the control scheme:
    • W - thrust forward (in facing direction)
    • A - thrust left (strafe left)
    • D - thrust right (strafe right)
    • S - thrust backward (away from facing direction)
    • Space - smart stop (systems thrust in the correct directions to quickly remove inertia. i.e. speed -> 0)
  • Using powerups was also fairly confusing. It didn't feel intuitive at all. I'd suggest changing that system to toggling through each ability, and being able to "activate" it once it's ready. for example:
    • Q - switch ability (-)
    • E - switch ability (+)
    • R - activate current ability
  • Swarm missiles about broke the game. I'm not on a powerhouse, but my system can manage most current games, and when I used the swarm missiles, framerate dropped significantly. I'm not sure what it was about them, but you should be able to code swarm missiles in a way that doesn't slow the game down so much.
  • Lastly, using a gamepad should be an option you can toggle off and on. The game forced me to use a gamepad if I had it plugged in, but I wanted to play with keyboard and mouse. Unplugging the gamepad is a frustrating requirement to do so.
The game seems fairly fun! If the controls weren't so difficult for me, I would have played longer. It reminds me a bit of SPAZ, which is one of my favorites. I plan to watch your progress if you keep posting about it here.

Good luck!

M

mariospants

Ha ha!

"How I made a video game, did not market it, and got a fully predictable result."
Flesh that story out a little more, and post it to Gamasutra. There are thousands of people out there, like you, with stars in their eyes. In my eyes, having watched you dev - then sell - the game, I have to agree that you did not do any marketing or promotion at all. When you released the game, I literally did a double-take. "Like, did he just release the game? Does he have some marketing budget I don't know about?"

While it's probably a good idea to listen to the feedback on controls, etc., those are not the reasons your game hasn't sold (potential buyers aren't typically aware of any short-comings of a game unless it's widely-reviewed, there are negative comments on the sales site, or your screenshots look like 💩💩💩💩 - none of which applied to you).

So, maybe there's a "Stegasaurs tail" sales effect in the future of zero-G fighter. Maybe it's a good idea to keep pushing the game, because for a huuuuge vaaaast majority of people, if you launched it again in 6 months, they're not going to know that the game isn't a brand new one.

At the end of the day, I really admire your ability to complete the whole damn thing (on two platforms, no less) and put it out to market. Your next big blockbuster will be a smarter thing as a result of it.

M

Misty

Look, I'm gonna be real with you. If you made SabreWing 3, people would have bought it right up.

What people secretly want in a space game.

I can tell this had a lot of high quality sprites put into it. But something about this just has a lot of design flaws. You seem like a talented artist, maybe you can reuse the sprites and combine them in a new game. Hopefully your next game will get more sales, best wishes and good luck.

This is what you're up against.

Last edited: