Opinion Do we really need 1000 Match 3 games on the PC?

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
As long as they make money, these things will continue to exist. I admittedly really do enjoy them, but I think Candy Crush and Bejeweled are enough.

this actually has been a topic i have spent years studying.

one day soon innovation will come to this genre and everything will change, i promise you.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
They're all just the same game using different Match 3 objects.
That's also true of many platformers. The only difference are the hazards: lava, spikes, water, holes, saws, etc.

Other than that, the mechanics are identical: "run, jump, HAZARD... run, jump, HAZARD..."

Last edited:

K12gamer

That's also true of many platformers. The only difference are the hazards: lava, spikes, water, holes, saws, etc.

Other than that, the mechanics are identical: "run, jump, HAZARD... run, jump, HAZARD..."
I'm okay with owning dozens of platformers (Sonic, Kloana, Mario, Strider, Castlevania) Similar...but many have
unique elements that make them seem different.

On the other hand...it seems a lot of HIDDEN OBJECT games are basically the same.
The PC has a thousand of those games too.

Reactions: Roa
That's a terrible analogy. Mario is a completely different game than Sonic, as are almost every other platformer I could mention. 90% of match-three games are almost literal resource swaps.

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
That's a terrible analogy. Mario is a completely different game than Sonic, as are almost every other platformer I could mention.
There are certainly platform games with unique gameplay elements. Mario and Sonic may be two examples. But at the same time, Mario and Sonic have also spawned thousands of clones. That's why I was careful to say "many" platformers.

Successful games tend to encourage copy-cats with similar features. That's what the OP was complaining about, and he's right. My point is that this happens with every genre. I just chose platformers as an example.

I also think that many of us who enjoy a particular genre, may be more forgiving toward copy-cats in that genre.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Yeah, I guess if we dig hard enough, we will find a few Match-3 gems that shine with originality as well. Platformers give some opportunity to make games more than just resource swaps, e.g. by adding different abilities or changing the movement mechanics, but, to an extent, so do Match-3 games (Puzzle Quest comes to my mind, using RPG battle system over match-3 mechanic). At the same time, I've seen numerous platformers that tested the exact same skills I've used in dozens before them, and thus I grew kinda tired of basic platforming challenges (i.e. "jump your way from point A to point B without killing yourself in process") in general. Mind, it usually doesn't apply to metroidvania games, as they often involve some nice exploration aspect (aside from raw platforming) and often come with interesting unlockable abilities, too.

From other genres prone to repetition - jRPGs, with their turn-based battle system; when done not-so-well, the gameplay will be basically so straightforward that one could easily write AI to play in their stead, if the game generously offered some API.

That whole repetition might also be the reason why I generally prefer story-driven games; with gameplay mechanics often not being particularly innovative, it's the story (not only the written part, but overall atmosphere and presentation and what's implied and whatnot) that sets the game apart from others. Well, that, and the fact that I like stories. It's kinda nice to know that my actions in the game are remotely meaningful, or something.

There are certainly platform games with unique gameplay elements. Mario and Sonic may be two examples. But at the same time, Mario and Sonic have also spawned thousands of clones. That's why I was careful to say "many" platformers.

Successful games tend to encourage copy-cats with similar features. That's what the OP was complaining about, and he's right. My point is that this happens with every genre. I just chose platformers as an example.

I also think that many of us who enjoy a particular genre, may be more forgiving toward copy-cats in that genre.
I couldn't name two professional platformers that are even close to being as similar as any random two match three games we could pick out of a hat. I don't think you could either, so I'm still calling bs on your analogy. :p

It's in the names of the genres. "There are platforms in this game" is much more vague than "you're matching three jewels/candies/trinkets together," haha.

Again, yes, games in the same genre will share similarities, duh. That's why they're in the same genre. The problem OP has with the match-three genre is that those games are 90% functionally exactly the same as one another, which can not be said about platformers or most other genres.

Last edited:
G

Galladhan

Yeah, I guess if we dig hard enough, we will find a few Match-3 gems that shine with originality as well. Platformers give some opportunity to make games more than just resource swaps, e.g. by adding different abilities or changing the movement mechanics, but, to an extent, so do Match-3 games (Puzzle Quest comes to my mind, using RPG battle system over match-3 mechanic).
I totally agree with you, @Alice. You anticipated me on Puzzle Quest, but there are several other "match-3" games which are far from being "resource swaps" in my opinion. For example Panel de Pon. Or Pokémon Puzzle League. Or Super Puzzle Fighter. Or Puzzle Bobble. Or Puyo Puyo (even if it's technically a "match-4"). I could probably go on :p

I totally agree with you, @Alice. You anticipated me on Puzzle Quest, but there are several other "match-3" games which are far from being "resource swaps" in my opinion. For example Panel de Pon. Or Pokémon Puzzle League. Or Super Puzzle Fighter. Or Puzzle Bobble. Or Puyo Puyo (even if it's technically a "match-4"). I could probably go on :p
I think OP was talking about the American type of match three games in his original post, which is all I've ever considered in the genre. All the bejeweled likes. If we're going to include those Japanese gems you just listed in the genre (and maybe we should!), then I have to admit the genre is a good and diverse one. The games you listed are all great!

Super Mario Bros. and The Great Giana Sisters (which i personally loved) :D
Ha, cheeky bastard! I was going to mention that one as well, but figured I'd omit it since those developers were sued for their clone if I recall correctly. Besides that, they really are very different feeling games, right? The physics in giana sisters is nothing like the physics in mario, haha.

G

Galladhan

Ha, cheeky bastard! I was going to mention that one as well, but figured I'd omit it since those developers were sued for their clone if I recall correctly. Besides that, they really are very different feeling games, right? The physics in giana sisters is nothing like the physics in mario, haha.
LOL! Ok i admit it, it was a bit of a borderline example. :p But there are many Super Mario clones around, you can't deny it. And, if i remember correctly, the lawsuit was an urban legend. I might be wrong, though (my memory is starting to lose it...).

LOL! Ok i admit it, it was a bit of a borderline example. :p But there are many Super Mario clones around, you can't deny it. And, if i remember correctly, the lawsuit was an urban legend. I might be wrong, though (my memory is starting to lose it...).
There are lots of Mario fan clones, but I've never seen a professional game that played like Mario. O:
They did get sued, I'm pretty sure. I remember thinking it was funny the remake of tggs was releasing on Nintendo consoles, when they were originally shut down by them, haha. Who knows, though. X'D

A

Alessio

I hated the only match three puzzles i've played: Candy Crush and Farm Heroes. A microtransactionfest.

That's a kind of popular genre that is continuously emulated. But i'm a kind of different guy so i would opt for something more original. A full lenght action-platformer is probably going to get more visibility than a blatant match three games.

H

heyimdandan

I'd say the match-3 games are more like chocolate bars than platformers. Lots of varieties to choose from... some with caramel, some with nougat, some with biscuit, some with nuts. Platformers are more like alcoholic beverages... some sparkle, some will knock your socks off, some will leave you with a bitter taste, others will give you a headache.

The thing that I've always pondered but never looked into... what was the original match-3 game? I'm pretty sure Bejewelled came before Crappy Crush. Don't even get me started on the free Disney Frozen match-3 game on Playstation. The AI basically plays the game for you. You have 200 points, and then suddenly... kablam! Kapow! Whoopow! 87 million points for a wild combo...

G

Galladhan

what was the original match-3 game? I'm pretty sure Bejewelled came before Crappy Crush.
Maybe Columns (Sega, 1990)? It's the first match-3 game which comes to my mind.
The year before, though, Taito made Puzznic, which is a bit different (it's a match-2, if i remember correctly), but i would put it in the same genre. Maybe i'm forgetting something, by the way.

There are lots of Mario fan clones, but I've never seen a professional game that played like Mario. O:
True, but only cause it's hard to make a game that plays like Mario.
I remember a very old Shigeru Miyamoto interview (i tried to google it, but couldn't find it) in which he was saying he wasn't very concerned about all these game developers trying to copy Mario, cause "they can copy only what they can see".
Some examples? Mr. Nutz, Aero the Acro-Bat or Super Frog. But there were many more.
Edit: The same holds true for Sonic clones, by the way.

Last edited:

K12gamer

@chance

When I really think about it...there really is only a small group of unique platformers...(Mainly the really old ones)
Most new 2D platformers today are crappy copies of older games. They still have us bouncing on enemy heads (like Mario) to kill them.

Played this Platformer (Croc's World) recently from the Windows app store...and it was like playing a really inferior version of an old Mario game.
Even the old NES stuff was more fun than this...