• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Dragonspire - Platformer *Updated*

E

Ever_Valiant

Dragonspire is an open world platformer designed by me aimed to bring the player back to the classic gaming age of the early 90s. Set within the land of Nionir, you play as a young warrior trying to reclaim the stolen kingdom of Telnias. Collect new abilities and armor as you traverse the 7 unique environments each with their own perils and challenges, and then attempt the dreaded Dragonspire to test your skills as a hero of legend.

Gameplay Trailer: http://www.indiedb.com/games/dragonspire/videos/dragonspire-trailer

Several years ago I began working with gamemaker studio and attempted to create a open world platformer that was enjoyable and unique. After several attempts that were not successful I one day said heck with the side scroller, I'm making a single screen grid type platformer, hence Dragonspire was born. The game world uses a grid style coordinate system that all levels/rooms abide by. So when playing and heading right or left off the screen gamemaker automatically loads the next level to the east or north depending on your characters orientation. The width of one level is considered one cell size in the overall map which at this moment (since I'm not done yet) consists of over 250 rooms/levels. Designing over 250 rooms that are fun and unique has posed to be quite a challenge, but patience is key.

There are 7 zones ranging from mountainous, tundra, marsh, oceanic, and volcanic each with their own unique mechanic such as wind gusts, poison swamp, and fire nettle.

I will be posting a trailer/gameplay video in the near future. If your are interested in hearing more or would like to show support for the project you can follow on Indiedb.com at http://www.indiedb.com/games/dragonspire . I will also keep you up to date here in the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerX

You have some VERY nice pixel art going on here. Will this be sorta Metroidvania styled? Sure looks similar

Wow, I'm in love with the graphics! You have an amazing art style that I can see working wonderfully with the game. I can imagine exploring this world with an overarching story, hidden treasures, and many interesting battles along the way. Good luck and keep it up!

E

Ever_Valiant

It is Metroidvania style, but with a little twist. The map is not a flat plane with your character going east/west or up/down, instead there are roads that change your orientation to north/south. The map on the menu screen is a top down view and the arrows are the levels direction.

F

FROGANUS

Yeah, style is really nice>
I like the idea of top down over map, with side-scroller stages.
Would like to try.

E

Ever_Valiant

There won't be a demo release for Dragonspire as I am a 1 man developer I have my hand full with just making the game and promoting it. But I will be posting video's and more previews soon full with story and possibly a commentary.

E

Ever_Valiant

I didn't think a demo would really be that important but If it helps a lot to promote it, I will change my mind.

E

Ever_Valiant

Well guys I have a treat for you today, I have a gameplay trailer showing some of the features and story of Dragonspire.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dragonspire/videos/dragonspire-trailer

Dragonspire Story
Within the breadth of time came an era unlike any before and any there after. It was the age of kings and men, mer and kin, and lesser creatures. Amongst the wise a prophecy arose speaking of a legend upon the wind. Within the land of Nionir, the kingdom of Telnias was grand and prosperous. There were no poor, there were no hungry, and it's streets flowed with the wealth of it's greatness.

Erthanon was the King's first guard and most trusted of his council. Though strong and skilled was he, his blood was not of the line of Thane and thus, could not rule as the King's heir. This angered him as he desired the King's throne. Delving into dark magic's Erthanon devised a plan to overthrow the king, bestowing the throne upon himself. Prince Auric, son of the King caught wind of this treachery and confronted him. They battled fiercely but because of Earthanon's dark magic he used his new power to defeat the prince by turning him into unbreakable stone. And the prince was placed upon a pedestal, a spectacle, to any other that would appose the King of Wroth.

For 40 years the Betrayer ruled Telnias and slowly, over time, his form twisted and misshapen, until he resembled a creature unlike any other. The tower in which the twisted beast remained became known as the Dragonspire, castle of the betrayer.

There is alot more to come in future updates so feel free to follow Dragonspire as there will be more to show, thank you.

NicoDT

This looks great!! The art looks really nice, and the game seems really fun (I like that you can put your shield up).
Good luck, can't wait to hear more about it.

J

JealousOfCrows

This game does look great but without a small demo, we can't comment on gameplay. Unless you have a diverse crowd of friends playing your game and providing you with detailed feedback I think a demo would seriously help people get a feel for your game, and as others said it could act as more promo material. That being said it is completely up to you and maybe the mystery is a selling feature in itself. I would suggest in your video you remove the "over 250 rooms" statement, as this is only informative for GM:S developers, the average person might be thinking "what is a room"? Perhaps change it to levels? Anyways, looks great otherwise!

G

Grimlock

As a graphics artist myself I just wanted to echo everyone else's previous comments. The pixel art style in your screenshots looks pretty fantastic. Although I think you could bring your level design a couple notches higher by reducing repetition in your tile work. It would require creating some additional tiles but I think it would add an increased level of polish and professionalism to the over all look of your game.