• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

The Sprite Size

F

Freedom2Fight

I've been wondering about something since I started making my game a while back.
Its about the my game's characters' sprites. I was wondering if they have the sprite(right) size. Hehehe.

Anyways here is an image of something I will rename "spr_are_you_still_there", its a work in progress...

Originally I had a sprite that was a whopping 180 pixels high but I thought it was too small.
So I made a 800+ pixels height and width sprite. I asked myself, is it too big?
And after much deliberation with myself like a crazy person, I finally came to the conclusion that it is too big.

Now...

Idle, she stands at 300+ pixels and her width is around 130 pixels.

Running, she stands at 360+ pixels and about the same width.

Punching stuff, she... well the sprite gets wider. Arms outstretched.

Is this alright?

R

Rukola

Hi Freedomguy.

What you're dealing with are texture pages and resolution. In global game settings->windows->graphics you can see the current set up for those. If you have a lot of texture pages running at the same time, things tend to slow down quick. Usually we work with a 2048x2048 sized texture sheet.

imo. You can go back easily to 96 or even 64 pixel size width. I would recommend.
And for cutscenes, depending on the animation style,go big again (=360) :)