• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Question - General How to deal with a negative review?

csanyk

I received a new review on one of my assets recently. Unfortunately, it's a 1-star review.

It seems that rather than contact me with a bug report, or post on the official thread I'd set up for my asset, the buyer opted to leave a 1-star review complaining about the asset package having a missing file when they downloaded it.

I'm fairly certain that the file was not missing in the package when I uploaded it, because I've had other users report success with the asset. I looked at the .gmez on my system, and the file they said was missing is there on my download. The file also appears in the Preview of the asset. So I'm not sure what went wrong with them; maybe it's something as simple as they missed the file when they imported the .gmez into their project. Or maybe they need to download the file again. I have no idea.

I'm not upset with the user, although I think they picked the least productive, most harmful way of reporting the problem. (As an aside, it'd be nice if the Marketplace made reporting bugs, seeking support, etc, more visible to cusotmers so that they would not think the only way to provide feedback is by leaving a negative review.) I would like to help them and to investigate so I can fix the issue. I'm hampered by this, because YYG masks purchasers' email addresses, so I can't directly contact them to ask them for additional information, or to offer suggestions on things to try. I replied to their review, asking them to reach out to me so I can help them, and that's about all I can think of.

What else can I do?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I don't think there is much you can do. I'd say after a week or so, maybe you can modify your response to the review, state what you did to try to troubleshoot, and that the individual did not post either a response to the response you placed in the review, or contact you outside(via the topic, etc...), and that you have no way to contact them. You can also mention that as far as you know, your asset doesn't appear to have the issue that was described(for example, that you downloaded it and it had said file).

Besides that, there isn't much you can do. My single asset I've published(kbinput) has an amount of purchases, but ZERO reviews. I found by chance 1 person who had purchased it and asked for feedback(which was quite positive actually), but to this day there are ZERO reviews...

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
I believe you did the right thing. You replied politely. If he contacts you, fix his problem and maybe he would change its review.

csanyk

I believe you did the right thing. You replied politely. If he contacts you, fix his problem and maybe he would change its review.
That's what I'm hoping for. I am not aware whether users receive notifications when they get a reply to their comment. So far, I have not been contacted by the user -- it's been a few days, so maybe he will, maybe not. I'd at least like to ensure that he gets what he paid for.