• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Optimal viewing with HUD on bottom of the screen

R

Royms

I'm using professional addition v. 1.4 of GM studio, and I am having a problem with optimal viewing without stretching. I am making a game where the rooms are 736x544, and the HUD, with a size of 736x32, is located on the bottom of the screen.
I don't want the HUD to be seen all the way on the bottom of the screen, because it might be get obscured by the icons on the Window's display. This is easily solved by making the view in the slightly larger than the room itself. If I make the view in room 736x576, I get the view I want, but my sprites looked stretched vertically (the same result I get if I don't use views at all). Changing the size of the port on screen does absolutely nothing, not matter what I change it to. What do I need to do to get a proper view?

Mick

I think your mistake is that you didn't take the height of the hud into account when deciding on screen size. The only way to have the same aspect ratio and a visible hud that don't obscure stuff is to make height the game field 32 pixels smaller, so there is room for the hud.

R

Royms

is your game in fullscreen?
Under the 'windows' tab in 'global game settings' I have "keep aspect ratio" clicked. I'm running Windows 10 on my computer, which doesn't have a tab in my version of Studio. Could this be the problem? Is this why changing the port on screen doesn't seem to do anything?

do you mean the taskbar is in front of your game window?
This is the problem I'm trying to avoid, yes. Like I said, adding 32 pixels to the height of the view fixes this problem, but there is still stretching.

what is the height of your display?
You mean for my computer? 1366 x 768.

it seems like your screen is not large enough to fit both the taskbar and your game window.

you could run your game in fullscreen mode so that the taskbar is not seen. Or make your view and port smaller so that it will fit on your screen. The view and port must have the same aspect ratio or else the view will appear to be streched.

R

Royms

it seems like your screen is not large enough to fit both the taskbar and your game window.

you could run your game in fullscreen mode so that the taskbar is not seen. Or make your view and port smaller so that it will fit on your screen. The view and port must have the same aspect ratio or else the view will appear to be streched.
But how is that possible if my room size smaller than my screen resolution? And I still get stretching even if I make both the view and the port the same size as my room or half as much.

you've got the top part of your window plus the taskbar taking up space as well.

It'd be easier for me to tell what's going wrong if I saw your project.

R

Royms

You mean like send you the project by email? It's rather large and cumbersome (5.4 mb).