• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Uninstalled GameMaker

G

GalacticZombie

The update occurred today. I hadn't noticed anything different until I went to work on a GameMaker project and noticed it was gone. Like completely uninstalled. At least my project files are still saved to a folder. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm going to download and install again, so everything should be fine, but this is weird.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We've noticed this windows 10 update has uninstalled a few apps without asking, although none of us have had GM:S removed....

G

Galladhan

I can't launch GM from the applications menu, cause it's disappeared from there (if i remember correctly, though, it already happened with a previous update), but i can run it normally with the shortcut i pinned on the taskbar.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

It unpinned the icon from my Start menu, but if I, say, right-click the manual, get More options, say to Open file location, (then right-click the shortcut in the window that appears and again select Open file location,) I can once again access GameMaker-Studio.exe (which is really the Updater) from the Roaming folder. Pin to Start menu again, and hey, it's all fixed. The bug in the first place was annoying (and a tad scary), though, that's for sure.

EDIT: Well, fixed enough. It still doesn't show in the Applications list. There's likely a way to correct that, too, but I haven't been bothered.

I hope you can follow these steps and find it's still actually installed, Galactic Zombie.

Regards,
Bob

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I've blocked my Windows' ability to update for ages after several consecutive updates broke stuff and I had to manually roll back every time... and a month ago-ish there were an update that made several Windows10 devices unbootable which I luckily missed because of this... I strongly recommend everyone else to do the same (and take your own protective measures). I've completely lost trust in Microsoft's abilities now, and let's just say I'm not surprised my school still runs Windows 7. (The only reason I updated my laptop to Win10 is because it had Win8.1 pre-installed, which... well, there's a reason nobody uses that anymore :p)

Roderick

When I got the Anniversary Update, GM:S was removed from my Start Menu and All Apps list, but it was still installed. I just had to find the executable and repin it to Start.

JacPete

i stay at 8.1 till its outdated. i would get an heart attack if windows would start removing files from my disk.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Multiple desktops was the game changer for me. It's one I needed badly and now it's a feature I couldn't live without :)

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Multiple desktops was the game changer for me. It's one I needed badly and now it's a feature I couldn't live without :)
I've updated to Win10 for multiple desktops, but neither do these allow having the same window on multiple desktops at once, nor they do allow to switch desktops only on one monitor... a first-party implementation that is less feature-rich than third-party tools. Very good.
At least it doesn't make GMS IDE windows flip out when switching desktops like third-party ones did, I guess.

Combined with every major update so far completely trashing third-party theme compatibility, I'm growing really uncertain as to whether I should go back to 8.1 or not.

Llama_Code

Same here, it removed it from the start menu for me. But it did that when I updated from 7 to 10 on my desktop to. Also did it to all my Adobe products.

The multiple desktops was a game changer for me on my Surface I can't live without

R

renex

I've reached a point where I can supplement all of W7's faults with batch files and registry hacks, to the point I can get a new machine going under my specifications in about an hour if I have to. My current machine cold boots in 45 seconds.

Everywhere I look, all I see is people complaining about Windows, ever since """8.0""" rolled out. I firmly believe 7 is the current stable build and will use it until something legitimately better shows up - even if that happens to be linux. I could go on for hours about things I dislike in the recent iterations, but I would just be repeating what you already know.

Game Maker works just fine and that is my only professional activity. I don't need the new features. I'm happy with what I have.

console.gif

G

GalacticZombie

It unpinned the icon from my Start menu, but if I, say, right-click the manual, get More options, say to Open file location, (then right-click the shortcut in the window that appears and again select Open file location,) I can once again access GameMaker-Studio.exe (which is really the Updater) from the Roaming folder. Pin to Start menu again, and hey, it's all fixed. The bug in the first place was annoying (and a tad scary), though, that's for sure.

EDIT: Well, fixed enough. It still doesn't show in the Applications list. There's likely a way to correct that, too, but I haven't been bothered.

I hope you can follow these steps and find it's still actually installed, Galactic Zombie.

Regards,
Bob

I just reinstalled it. It might have been hidden I guess. I don't know. All I know is that all is well again with my computer, Windows10, and GameMaker Studio. I don't hate Windows 10. I normally don't have any issues with it. This was a weird one though. Hopefully it behaves itself from now on. lol

I just reinstalled it. It might have been hidden I guess. I don't know. All I know is that all is well again with my computer, Windows10, and GameMaker Studio. I don't hate Windows 10. I normally don't have any issues with it. This was a weird one though. Hopefully it behaves itself from now on. lol
Make sure you add GM studio to exceptions everywhere!