• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[ SOLVED ] GM:S IDE window too small - cannot resize?

rIKmAN

I just started going through my first GM:S tutorial, and have an issue with the IDE.

I added a sprite which worked fine, and then tried to add a sound.
The IDE window that opens up for this is too small, meaning half of the buttons and widgets are cutoff like the screenshot below:

There seems to be no way to resize this window other than making it full screen - which then puts the dialog/widgets/buttons etc in the top left of the screen with about 80% of empty space being just an empty background window (I run 1920x1080) - also covering the tutorial pane which is not ideal.

I'm running Windows 7, no special themes or anything, just standard Windows 7 64-bit.

Is there any way to fix this?

T

TheRaven81

i run into that also - and that is also not the only place where that occurs. Like, for example, several of the tabs in the "Global Game Settings" are cut off - and THOSE are worse than the one the OP describes for the sound - because you can't maximize the Global Game Settings window. So anything that's entirely cut off is inaccessible by anyone. It's REALLY annoying and I'm hoping there's a fix for it.

I also run Windows 7 64-bit.

Gamerev147

I just started going through my first GM:S tutorial, and have an issue with the IDE.

I added a sprite which worked fine, and then tried to add a sound.
The IDE window that opens up for this is too small, meaning half of the buttons and widgets are cutoff like the screenshot below:

There seems to be no way to resize this window other than making it full screen - which then puts the dialog/widgets/buttons etc in the top left of the screen with about 80% of empty space being just an empty background window (I run 1920x1080) - also covering the tutorial pane which is not ideal.

I'm running Windows 7, no special themes or anything, just standard Windows 7 64-bit.

Is there any way to fix this?
What size screen resolution do you have?

T

Tyllar

Hey dude I had the exact same issue and wrote a bug report for it, tried googling the problem and your post was the first one that seemed to match my issue. Sound editor and a bunch of other windows were cut off. What fixed it for me was changing the display settings from 125% back to 100%. I guess the program doesn't know how to resize things if you have it set to larger text. Not sure if it'll help but I no longer have the cut off windows... though I can barely read my desktop icons now haha I have same display settings otherwise, windows 7 64 bit 1920 x 1080 p.

I have the exact same problem. I have windows 10 64b 1920x1080p with a text and object scaling of 175% (My monitor is very small ;) ). I guess the problem is caused by the scaling, everyone experiencing this should report a bug.

rIKmAN

Hey dude I had the exact same issue and wrote a bug report for it, tried googling the problem and your post was the first one that seemed to match my issue. Sound editor and a bunch of other windows were cut off. What fixed it for me was changing the display settings from 125% back to 100%. I guess the program doesn't know how to resize things if you have it set to larger text. Not sure if it'll help but I no longer have the cut off windows... though I can barely read my desktop icons now haha I have same display settings otherwise, windows 7 64 bit 1920 x 1080 p.
I have the exact same problem. I have windows 10 64b 1920x1080p with a text and object scaling of 175% (My monitor is very small ;) ). I guess the problem is caused by the scaling, everyone experiencing this should report a bug.
My text is set to "100% - Smaller" in my display settings.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
As you've mostly guessed, this is due to the DPI being set higher, this is not something we can fix as Delphi does not support the higher DPIs. It should be said, Windows10 seems to deal with this better ,and I was able to have a higher DPI on my laptop using windows 10. If you get this issue though, there is no other solution than to set DPI (or scaling) to 100%

rIKmAN

As you've mostly guessed, this is due to the DPI being set higher, this is not something we can fix as Delphi does not support the higher DPIs. It should be said, Windows10 seems to deal with this better ,and I was able to have a higher DPI on my laptop using windows 10. If you get this issue though, there is no other solution than to set DPI (or scaling) to 100%
Hey Mike, thanks for the reply.

As I said in my previous post, I checked my setting and my text scaling is set to 100% already.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
There are actually 2 places to scale things. One is the size of fonts etc, the other is in the display settings where you can adjust the DPI size, which in turn then effects the size of fonts. One of them will not be set to 100%

rIKmAN

There are actually 2 places to scale things. One is the size of fonts etc, the other is in the display settings where you can adjust the DPI size, which in turn then effects the size of fonts. One of them will not be set to 100%
Thanks again for the reply Mike, it's appreciated.

This is what my settings are when I open "Display Settings", but I also tried looking in "Fonts" from Control Panel and there is an option in there to "Change Font Size", which when clicked takes you to the same dialog box as shown in the picture below.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Are you on windows 7? Make sure you log out and log back in again before testing again BTW, some settings aren't changed until you log out.

rIKmAN

Are you on windows 7? Make sure you log out and log back in again before testing again BTW, some settings aren't changed until you log out.
Yeah I'm on Windows 7.

Those settings have not been changed, it's what they have been on since I installed Win7 forever ago, and I log in and out every day.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
So I've been told that windows accessibility settings can also affect DPI. So even if everything else says its unchanged, it could be that accessibility has over ridden it.

rIKmAN

So I've been told that windows accessibility settings can also affect DPI. So even if everything else says its unchanged, it could be that accessibility has over ridden it.
I don't have anything set in my accessibility settings that is other than default.

I also don't / have never had any problems with any other software I use that has a GUI - just GameMaker, and only certain dialogs.

L

Ludorverr

I don't know why you can't set to 100%, but that's what 125% DPI looks like. My sound window is cut off exactly like yours.

TheRaven81 says Global Game Settings are cut off, but it's really only in one or two tabs. I checked every single tab and here's the absolute worst offender: http://i.imgur.com/ljZdZz4.png - still usable.

It's not such a big deal. I've been using GM at 125% DPI for years, it's fine really. (Setting the DPI back and forth is too bothersome since closing everything and logging off or restarting the PC is required each time). Although it would be nice to be able to resize the Sound window and Global Game Settings window, that's something Yoyogames could implement fairly easily I think?

But for anyone else bothered by the sound window - one option is abandoning that Sound category altogether, and instead using the Included Files category to add audio files and using the function audio_create_stream(filename). Also reduces compiling time I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
bleh..... I have no idea. There is certainly something scaling it as you can see from the image the text inside the dialog is larger than the tile bar. What that is....I have NO idea. "something" has set the scale to run this program at a higher DPI.... There's not something on the program compatibility properties is there?

If you right click "5piceIDE.exe", inside "compatibility, there is a "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" option. Try that?

rIKmAN

Solution for OP: https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/26273622/Win-7-DPI-Default-125.html (links here)

I beat Mike at helping. :)

The clue was in the image he posted of his DPI settings. It says "Medium - 125% (default)". The (default) text is normally supposed to be across from 100%.
You sir, can have a bag full of awesome - thank you! :)

I downloaded the regedit fix (zip from the link you posted), added them to the registry, rebooted and voila!
The GUI is now spot on and just as it should be.

Thanks again for finding the fix - here is the new and properly functioning Sound Properties window that I posted in my OP:

@Mike Thank you for your efforts to help me resolve this, even though they weren't successful I do appreciate the time you took to reply and try and help me out.

I will summon the others who posted in this thread in case they don't get an alert @TheRaven81 @Tyllar @Pineapple Lake

I have also marked this thread as [ SOLVED ] for anyone who has this issue in future.

Last edited: