Weird keybord thing, bug? [FIXED]

Z

zendraw

For some time now whenever i type theese -> ' ' or theese -> " " the second one doesnt appear until i press another key, i dont know what ive done but thats not just in game maker but anywhere so its somthing with the system. Any idea what did i do?

Also im not sure if this is the right place to ask but this seemed the most reasonable one.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I agree. Sounds like a "dead key" setting got enabled. Maybe though an accidental Windows shortcut. These are designed so you can add diacritical marks with certain key sequences. Like tilde or accent mark.

Make sure you have the English UK - US keyboard selected. Not International. That should disable any of these settings.

Z

zendraw

well i have only my native language Bulgarian with a couple of options and EN (usa) but only international. i tryed reset to defaults but its still happening.

K12gamer

Did you try using a different keyboard?

One time a friend's PC wouldn't start up properly...

She didn't realize that she had a keyboard key that was stuck in the pressed position which caused the problem.

Z

zendraw

its not thekeybord, cus i didnt have this aways, but once i was seting up my languages to tipe with and i dont know but it started doing this, and i have no idea what culd it be.

C

CedSharp

I'm french, and I use the Canadian french keyboard from time to time ( I still rather code with usa english keyboard. )
One of the keys on the french keyboard, the single quote key ( ' ) is used to make grave accents ( è or à ).
The way it works is you press the on key to enter "grave" mode, then press any valid characters ( e, a, i, u, o ) to place that character with the accent.
Most accents on a french keyboard work like this.

If you press an invalid character, then the last key you pressed is printed and the grav key is ignored.
Your problem sounds just like this feature, so I think that simply changing your keyboard layout should solve it.
If you select a layout that doesn't use those special "mode" keys then you won't have this problem anymore.

- I know you already solved it just wanted to explain why it acted like it :p -

Regards,
CedSharp