• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM [SOLVED] GM turns off after using a few minutes without any error message

V

vicklik

Hello together,

I'm going crazy. I'm using GM v1.4.1757 (bought in HB with all offered extensions). Mostly when I'm trying to create a sprit by using the image editor (also one time when i click on start game button) the GM Studio turns off without any error message or another hint why this is happening. I've checked my (windows) event viewer but also nothing.
I hope someone know this issue and also how to stop this?

Some more information:
I'm using Win10 Home. After installing I used my e-mail and password to "login" into GM. I tried also to run GM as administrator (also turns of).
Something new, I only start GM open my test-project and now while writing this text and the windows closes after a few minutes without any interaction.
I don't know if this is important but I tooks me some days to download all GM extensions/updates successfuly. I have a 50 mbit connection but the download of GM was very, very slow and stucks several times or brokes.

If someone know what to do, please give me a hint. Thanks in Advance.

EDIT: It doesen't matter what I do in GM. After ~5 minutes GM closes without any message (also in "Welcome" Screen).

Last edited by a moderator:
P

ParodyKnaveBob

Howdy, vicklik, and welcome to GM and the GMC. $:^ J

Off the top of my head, I've seen Win10 unceremoniously close an app on me at this-or-that time, apparently when resources are getting too low. (Almost like a mobile OS.. ~shudder~) Therefore, I wonder if this is what you face. Have you tried running GM without anything else going, too? What are your system specs? (Mine are super low -- 1GHz, 1.5GB -- but I also keep a watch on everything with Task Manager, balancing programs as I go.)

I hope this helps,
Bob

H

Homunculus

I'd try to run the game in debug mode, and look at the resources used by it at the bottom of the debug window. If they keep increasing, you have some kind of memory leak and the program is closing due to that most likely.

V

vicklik

Hi Bob,

thanks for fast answer. But I don't think that's an system/hardware issue. I have 16 GB RAM, I5-4690 (3.5 GHz), SSD...and while using GM today only Firefox is running too. My system is not realy busy.

I've used now a timer and after 5 minutes GM closes (also when I'm still in the "Welcome" screen; so no project is loaded). Could it be something like unsuccessful license checking? Before I post this here I search a little bit and find something about problems with an GM update and Kaspersky (http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753198-GameMaker-Updater-Problems). I am using Kaspersky.

EDIT: To make sure it is not an issue with Kaspersky, I've turned Kaspersky off. But GM still closes after ~5 minutes. :-(

H

Homunculus

If it's an out of memory error, you won't see your system as "busy" in terms of CPU used.

V

vicklik

If it's an out of memory error, you won't see your system as "busy" in terms of CPU used.
I've checked it now by using task manager. My system was using only 2.7 GB of 16 GB when GM closes after 5 minutes. GM itself was using only ~ 100 MB RAM (still in "Welcome" window).

EDIT: As far as I know, you can find "out of memory" messages in Windows Event Viewer. But there is nothing about GM or any other "out of memory" message.

H

Homunculus

I don't really know how windows handles program specific memory and out of memory errors, but it is possible I presume that the system allocates only a smaller maximum amount of memory to single processes, therefore it can go out of memory even when you still have lots available system wide.

But why make things more complicated than they really are? Use the debugger, and check if program memory keeps increasing indefinitely. That's it... Either that shows a strange behaviour or it's a different problem entirely.

V

vicklik

I don't really know how windows handles program specific memory and out of memory errors, but it is possible I presume that the system allocates only a smaller maximum amount of memory to single processes, therefore it can go out of memory even when you still have lots available system wide.

But why make things more complicated than they really are? Use the debugger, and check if program memory keeps increasing indefinitely. That's it... Either that shows a strange behaviour or it's a different problem entirely.
I've downloaded WinDgb (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26798 ), but couldn't see any problem (may be I don't use the debugger right; only attached to process). I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it's an memory issue. Couldn't find any hint for this. It's also strange that it doesen't matter what I do in GM - after 5-6 minutes it closes itself.

H

Homunculus

By debugger I mean the debugger that comes with game maker, you run it by clicking the red play arrow instead of the green one from the game maker: studio interface. It keeps track of a lot of data, as well as system resources usage related directly to the game process.

I get that at this point it may not be a memory related issue, but I think you have to be sure about that before investigating further.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Catan, I for one appreciate your persistence in trying to help, but note that vicklik is talking about the GM IDE -- whether or not any game is running. The game debugger won't really help in this case, eh?

Regards,
Bob $:^ J

H

Homunculus

@ParodyKnaveBob Damn, I got it wrong from the beginning... Sorry, of course what I said about the debugger doesn't apply in this case.

V

vicklik

Thank you all for helping. At least I solved this problem by uninstalling GM, deleting all GM data in %APPDATA% and all GM registry entries. After this I reinstalled GM and it's working now.