• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

The Unofficial Art Gallery

H

HyperbipolART

All of my art (well not all of it lol) is on my artblog, which is in my signature here. :)

I also do in game photography if that's relevant at all, but otherwise it's mixed media. Everything counts!

Alright, I tried animating... (first time) What do you think?
Pros: I think you did a very good job keeping the forms the same volume, which is something a lot of people starting animation completely mess up, so good job on that.

Cons
: the animation timing and posing are lackluster to me. The dash is way too slow for that motion blur. Make him move through the whole dash in a frame or two, and make the whole thing a giant smear. The attack is problematic, too. He dashes at what I'm guessing is supposed to be light speed, but then the attack itself is using only his arms, and is also pretty slow feeling. Then his sword just kinda bounces up like "eh!" Doesn't feel like there's any weight behind it. To fix the attack, I'd have him start that swing while he's moving, and then have him CRUSH DOWN with that sword, again only in a frame or two. Then give him a few frames to "stick" the landing of the attack, like he's catching his balance.

My advice! I've been animating a lot too, lately. It's stupid hard. :x

Edit: Five minute edit to show you a little of what I mean. Didn't do any redrawing. Just deleted unneeded frames and changed the spacing between poses. Ideally, you'd redo the poses to be more convincing too, of course!

Double edit: Another few minutes of work....this one is a bit slower, "chunkier," and heavier feeling...

And then pushing the idea even further...

💩💩💩💩, I'm really procrastinating today. I'm supposed to be working on my own art right now. Bleargh. Anyway, hope these help!
These sorts of tricks work well even at the low 10fps you're using here, but should work even better at higher frame-rates. You can hide some really extreme smears and broken joints and crap in your animations when the frame rate is high enough for the eye to not really notice. Cheers! =)

Also, keep in mind that smears and blurs will look like complete garbage if you use them badly. Make sure the actions you're smearing warrant them...

Last edited:

Jett

Digital Artist
Pros: I think you did a very good job keeping the forms the same volume, which is something a lot of people starting animation completely mess up, so good job on that.

Cons
: the animation timing and posing are lackluster to me. The dash is way too slow for that motion blur. Make him move through the whole dash in a frame or two, and make the whole thing a giant smear. The attack is problematic, too. He dashes at what I'm guessing is supposed to be light speed, but then the attack itself is using only his arms, and is also pretty slow feeling. Then his sword just kinda bounces up like "eh!" Doesn't feel like there's any weight behind it. To fix the attack, I'd have him start that swing while he's moving, and then have him CRUSH DOWN with that sword, again only in a frame or two. Then give him a few frames to "stick" the landing of the attack, like he's catching his balance.

My advice! I've been animating a lot too, lately. It's stupid hard. :x

Edit: Five minute edit to show you a little of what I mean. Didn't do any redrawing. Just deleted unneeded frames and changed the spacing between poses. Ideally, you'd redo the poses to be more convincing too, of course!

Double edit: Another few minutes of work....this one is a bit slower, "chunkier," and heavier feeling...

And then pushing the idea even further...

****, I'm really procrastinating today. I'm supposed to be working on my own art right now. Bleargh. Anyway, hope these help!
These sorts of tricks work well even at the low 10fps you're using here, but should work even better at higher frame-rates. You can hide some really extreme smears and broken joints and crap in your animations when the frame rate is high enough for the eye to not really notice. Cheers! =)

Also, keep in mind that smears and blurs will look like complete garbage if you use them badly. Make sure the actions you're smearing warrant them...
Holy crap, thanks man! :D

C

Caloxeno

I don´t know if this thread is still alive, but I will leave this picture, that was made with GIMP...

G

Guest User

@Yacob your art style is very interesting (and quite unique), the high contrast black and white while retaining a sort of painterly silhouette feel.

alexde5th

Here's my latest work... a dinosaur thingy... maybe, yeah.

I'm practically done with the mesh, just finalizing it before moving onto the rigging stage.
Also, here's a female one that needs a lot of work on the face

She's basically done, but there's a weird wrinkle effect going on her damn face when looking at a certain angle.

G

Guest User

Can I suggest you apply the subdivision surface modifier and make some parts of the mesh sharp, such as the end of the toes, etc? If the modifier is kept permanently, most meshes (especially character meshes) end up looking much too rounded. :]

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Misu

Got good news!

Next week, I will upload the virtual art gallery for all of you. It will contain the works from august. Anything new will have to wait till November. Im currently looking for a new site to host my html5 files since dropbox will remove html displays this month. Till then...

Keep on posting your works!​

F

fxokz

Hey guys, lately ive been investing some time to learn pixel art so that my games dont look like trash and so far here is what i have got. What do you think? xd

Feel free to showcase some of your art if you would like :)

small:

big:

tiled:

skull:

D

Deleted member 467

Horizontally the tile looks okay, but vertically you can see where it tiles, most people try to avoid this.

The skull looks okay, you have fairly consistent lighting.

upload_2016-10-9_9-50-55.png
That's one of my more recent pixel-arts for a boss in my game. He's not done yet. Still a few things I want to change and then I have to go and animate the wings.

F

fxokz

Wow! Your boss actually looks amazing. I like the whole hourglass thing going on and the wings. Here is a quick 32x32 sprite i made for another game of mine:

Its supposed to be a wizard. I wanted to keep it simple because i know the more colours i add the harder it will be to make it look good but yeah im fairly happy with it. I added a little walk animation. Nothing too amazing but still good compared to how i used to be. Im still loving your boss though.

edit: im going to fix that tile

S

Sudo_Radish

What tool are you using to do your art? There are some good tools out there for doing tiles with. I use aseprite.

IMG_0083.PNG

That was a basic tile. I have done some more work to it. But I used the inbuilt functions to make sure it all worked in x and y.

I have recently started animating some tiles to make traps.

D

Deleted member 467

@Barvix you might want to look into the lighting of those wings, one has a highlight at the top while the other one has it the other way around.
:O Dangit! Time to edit the shading layer in Photoshop ... tomorrow. I don't feel like doing it today.

DesArts

Loving a lot of the styles you guys have here, a huge range.

@fxokz Nice colours, its good not to use a typical grey for bricks (or basically anything haha) however I think maybe as well as the alignment issue, the bricks stand out from the 'cement' a little too much. But that depends on what they are meant to be etc. Your wizard is actually really great for a simple style, good colour choice.

@Barvix I like the design a lot, one piece of feedback I have to make, is ensure your outlines don't get jagged and thicker than one pixel anywhere :)

@Sudo_Radish I like tiles that seem connected but get 'separated' via animation! Interesting effect.

@Kepons That is really nice, love the shading, no idea what it is (but that makes it even better ;) ).

Some stuff I've done this weekend, I've been exploring really simple styles a lot recently, I should do some more complex stuff

Last edited:

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
One tip about good pixel art for you guys:
"Simplify real life"
That is pixel art.
Not: "Cartoon as pixels"

There's not much games with a stylisation where it's a cartoon in pixels.
So much great games such as almost all NES, but also indie games as Cave Story, Castlevania and FEZ and so on create their pixel art as a simplification of what you see in real life.
What do I mean by that?
Use perspectives, real shadows, real outlines, and texture that you would see in real life, but just simplify the colours a lot, and let away details. But here's the hard part: Do it in a way that you still can "see" the original (which our brain does automatically). If you see an anime character, you can be sexually attracted to that, because our mind subconsciously imagines that woman in real life, while our eyes see the drawings. So the same effect must be done with pixel art.
Cartoons look good as cartoons, pixel art (most styles) look the best as simplifications of real life.
But there's always exceptions and different styles, of course.

Yokcos

What's the grey thing?
A (rather large) building whose purpose is to convert matter into energy and beam it to another planet.

Here's another:
Nebula0.png

Let me actually rate OP's pixel art.
The individual bricks look a teensy bit flat. Could do with a darker green along the bottom, maybe even along the middle of the brick to imply texture.
That skull's really very nice. Nose might be a bit large though?

C

Cosmic Grain

@Cantavanda
The same subconscious connection happens with cartoons. Saying that pixel art follows the same concept as anime but dismissing connection with cartoons is odd. You realize that anime are cartoons, right? (I know some people get enraged at that statement, sorry :V ) They all follow the concept of simplifying and exaggerating certain features.

Also love your planet @Yokcos

I can just imagine seeing it in a game with little location markers on various spots(like mm8 stage select, or like a DR. Wily fortress). That would be sexy imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bingdom

Googledom
Wow, I'm impressed by the art I've seen.
Here is some of my pixel art that I liked.
Experimenting with shading for cylindersExaust.png
Trying to use minimal colours Car.png
Also trying to use minimal colours, I know the shading is wrong on the second rockRocks.png
Something I did a long time ago, probably the first time I put a lot of effort into sprite artTank_Body.png Tank_Turret.png

Any feedback is appreciated! :D

W

Wild_West

I only have one image I want to share with everybody but I was 'Hoping' some of you seeing it might be interested in contributing to this little project of mine.
It's basically just like a visual little diagram of some core gm concepts that I thought would help my friend (and myself most times) remember all the stuff relating to the commands / functions without having to go back and read through the manual whenever we forget about something, since we tend to keep images in our memories better than words with nothing to connect them to.
It's kinda like a Draw event only for anything and everything that can be conceptualized in regards to gml if that makes sense.
Sorry if this isn't the right place to be asking this but if anyone can help contribute to this art project with some representations like this it'd be really great.

This is the first super simple one I made but I plan on doing as many as I can.
Who knows this might even help some newcomers one day :p

M

Misu

I updated my personal Art Gallery link on the main post! Now it is working properly and no longer a downloadable link. Tomorrow, I will finishing fixing the GMC Virtual Art Gallery and will upload it around tomorrow or friday. :D

M

Misu

BIG NEWS!

THE GMC TOP ART VIRTUAL GALLERY IS UP!
Featuring 20 of the best art posts from August. Check it out!​

GMC TOP ART GALLERY
You must have a powerful internet connection to run this otherwise, it wont run or display properly.
On November 10, I will make a major update on the Gallery to replace artworks with new (better) ones. So keep on posting!​

R

renex

Oh hey hey I have some things too.

Screenshot_1.jpg

No extra tools used on those - just the GM image editor.
kekbig.png
5555-2x.png
large.png
fedoge-background.png