Favourite artists

C

crumblewolf

As I'm a fan of wandering through art galleries and trawling the web for cool stuff and I though I could start a topic where people could post their own favourite artists or pieces of art they have found.

Art doesn't mean paintings or drawings though post everything from sculptures, gallery installations to photography. I'd just love to find new thing to look at that please my eyes and brain :)
Unless tasteful though no nudity (think of the children!)
Also don't post your own art that's for the unofficial scrapbook.

A couple of mine.

Going old school big names first:

Van Gogh - thought he was over rated till I saw a couple of his self portraits in a gallery. There is something about them that really captures it for me. Not going to post any pictures of Van Gogh here though as I'm sure everyone knows his work

Rembrandt: His portraits seem to capture the flaws of the person he paints. The paintings do not show some flawless being but a realistic portrayal. Again not going to post him.

More recent:

Jean Giraud (Moebius) - Comic book artist although I've never seen much of his work in comics (i need to look it up). I love his prints though, he mixes some vivid imagination with sci-fi undertones and a simple style to achieve an amazing results. Would love to own one of his prints one day.

Mike Mignola - another comic book artist. found out about him by buying a hellboy comic. Love the simplistic style his art takes be it the comic book or individual illustrations.

Richard Learoyd: Photographer who uses some unusual technique (no idea what it is) to create large detailed and amazing photos. Most of them are of people (nude and clothed) but the one that stands in my mind was his picture of a severed horses head. Many would find that disturbing but there was a really odd Juxtaposition between the blood/head and the clean surroundings.
I've included a link to that picture below dont click if your squimish. Look up his other stuff for other pictures (the dark mirror exhibit)
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...scura-photography-vanda-museum-artworks#img-1

Terada Mokei: Creates intricate printed architectural models. You can buy these on the spruce (think like a warhammer parts spruce) and display them like that or assemble them yourself to create an amazing scale diorama. I love these and will be buying one soon as they are very affordable.

So guys would love to see your favourite artists!

Last edited:

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
Luis Royo: Maybe you've seen some of his works before but didn't know it was him. His images have a sort of "vintage science fiction" feel that's hard to accurately describe, but think of something that'd you'd find on a cover of a very old Sci-Fi book, or a very old heavy metal album (and I'm a fan of both, so no surprise I like his paintings). His technique is something I don't think I've seen anywhere else - His paintings are always very detailed and accurate, but what stands out is distinctive glow around the edges of objects and people, and his paintings overall have some odd luminance that I like very much. And his themes are also very interesting, you can often see either some post-apocalyptic scenery, or some "beauty and the beast" depiction, with a beautiful woman and some hideous monster beside her. There are others, but they are in minority. Finally I'd like to say that it's difficult to find his works that don't include at least partial nudity but I've managed to dig up a few. Those who are not children can use Google to find more.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Pierre-Auguste Renoir is one of my favourite painters. He's from the impressionist era. His main themes are humans, or women. He uses beautiful dreamy colours

Ayami Kojima. The artist of the Castlevania games. Focuses on humans, but very pale humans. Uses lots of "textures", black/white, red and gold. Just amazing!