• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Good size for player/enemies sprites.

I

IamN5

I have the sprites ideias and everything, but I just don't know the most importante thing : the sprites' size.
So, what is a good size for an RPG?
PS.: Pixel art graphs.

HayManMarc

Depends on the art style.

One thing to consider: the smaller the sprite assets (and room size, other art assets, etc.), the more performance you'll get -- generally speaking.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
16x16, 16x24 and 16x32 pixels (w x h). Most of the old SNES RPGs used this span (Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, the Lufia series, Breath Of Fire) which means you've got plenty of sprites/tilesets to study for inspiration and tips on how to create effects. Also don't make all sprites the same size, IMO size differences are important to differentiate characters; e.g. bosses should have bigger sprites to stand out better, kids should be smaller than adults, and so on.