My progress after a little over a week.

T

Trilient

I didn't know where to post this, but I just want to say thanks to the devs of GMS for adding your incredible game creation software to a humble bundle, I've had an absolute blast with it. I had a very moderate understanding of JS before jumping in to GML, so it's been pretty easy to learn. The advanced stuff will come with time. I'd just like to show what I've made so far by combining several ideas from tutorials I've followed as well as posts around these forums. I recorded a shore little video of my project:

It's not groundbreaking by any means, but to me, as someone who's always wanted to step foot in to game development, it's impressive. Literally two weeks ago I couldn't do this. I look forward to diving further into GML and GMS and hope to one day create something truly impressive. Thank you, to the entire GMS community, for indirectly helping me to do something I found out I enjoy more than gaming itself.

Sabnock

a fantastic start. your experience of programming in JS shows through here.

what is you plan for this game?

M

Me Myself and I

Ha! Nice. I like the death animation + screen shake.

Well done.

F

FunkyBean

it looks so smooth, that's awesome, much more than I can do right now. keep going!

T

Trilient

a fantastic start. your experience of programming in JS shows through here.

what is you plan for this game?
No plans as of yet, right now it's pretty much experimental, originally it was just a goal I had made for myself, make a functional mini platformer with lives, a few enemies, breakable boxes and variable jump height. But I like my little yellow square of a character so much I was actually thinking about making a game for him.

Ha! Nice. I like the death animation + screen shake.

Well done.
Yep! I learned those tricks in Tom francis' tutorial series and figured I'd implement them in here. Definitely look forward to learning more.

it looks so smooth, that's awesome, much more than I can do right now. keep going!
All I did was follow tutorials and reference the documentation. A lot. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

JacobV

Your gameplay looks really smooth, and the effects are nice! I think you've got a good start here.