• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Custom Loading Screen

Zodaris

Hey everyone! I'm trying to find a way to make a custom loading screen for the start up on the game I'm working on. The only built-in options are to use the default loading bar, or put in a splash screen. The only things I could find on this was outdated as those options no longer exist is GameMaker: Studio. I also tried looking for an extension but couldn't find one either.

Do any of you know of an extension I could use, or know of some other way to change the loading screen? We're looking to put in a little animation for our logo, but the ability to at least have a custom loading bar would be ideal.

Thanks for your time!

NightFrost

Create a loading room, put in code that handles all the file loading operations. Display a logo in the room (background or sprite). When loading is done, switch to title screen room.

Zodaris

I'm talking about the built-in Splash screen/loading bar that GameMaker puts in at the very beginning. The one that defaults to a Game Maker Logo. As far as I know, it runs before any room so it's not possible (I think) to use a room to override it because it's already happened. Our game is so big by this point that the splash screen is up for a decent amount of time.

NightFrost

Oh, that one. If you've got GMS Pro version (or whatever's the one you get when you pay) you have the option to turn off the GM splash or replace it with your own logo.

Zodaris

Yeah I know, but it only takes one .png. We're looking to put in either an animation or at the very least put in our own custom loading bar instead of the built-in one. I have GMS Pro.

EDIT:
If this helps at all, I've been working with Game Maker on and off for about 4 years. So I'm familiar with the basics and where to go to set certain options. This is a challenge that, as far as I can tell, cannot be done via the normal options menu. And since I can't find anything about it for Studio online, I came here.

Last edited:

NightFrost

I haven't tested how the initial splash screen behaves, but doesn't it just display itself for a while without running any game code? So if you turn off the splash screen, and put a loading room as your first room with your own animation or loading bar, it should behave as you wanted? I'm not sure any code can be run concurrently with the GMS splash screen.

Zodaris

It displays while it's loading, so it'll go by fast on a game that is very light, while large games it can takes about 5 seconds or so to go through. When I turned off the splash screen, it just went straight to the first room (I thought it would be a loading bar because that's what it is for the HTML5 export), but it took longer to start up. I think it still did all the loading, but didn't show anything until it was loaded instead of letting the player know it's loading.

B

Benedict Roses

I kept on looking for an solution to that "problem", until I realized that the said loading bar is only showed when the game is launched via Gamemaker itself, as some kind of temporary installation progress. When launched trough an .exe, it's not there anymore. So I guess the puzzle is solved...