Demo 3d Procedural Platformer NEW DEMO!!

M

modler2

Several months of on and off work into this project now, so far when ever you die or restart the level will always be different. Currently there are 3 different height blocks, two different enemy types, coin blocks, breakable blocks, springs, coins, bridges and a background that follows the character! It is far from done buy I would appreciate your input!

Controls: arrow keys to move, space to jump(or double jump),z to run and enter in menu!

360 remote: control pad to move, a to jump and y to dash!

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Demo: http://www.mediafire.com/file/xl7w58gldnbcliq/test.exe(Updated!) Please let me know what you think so far and if you have any bugs!

------------------------------------
Newest Update Details
HUGE CAMERA CHANGE! - NEED FEEDBACK! (rotates based on height to always provide a view of the ground)
Added 3d models for all of the coin, brick and dead boxes.
Added 3d tree models for the background
Mushroom model replaced mushroom sprite
Added background models
Added animated 3d gems
Very early wip water (animated texture added)
Added animated texture to coin blocks
Next update Plans
moving platforms - Working not yet in demo
falling platforms
rpg elements
3d background objects
Shadows and lighting

Video (Out Dated Will Replace Soon)

Photos
NEW***

Last edited by a moderator:
D

darthlupi

I love randomly generated games, and platformers are an extra treat.

Here's my feedback on this project:
  1. There were a few places that presented impossible jumps. This might be because double jump was not functional for me.
  2. Ease of play would benefit GREATLY from a camera that followed the players movement in smoother way. There were several times I lost complete site of where I needed to land. Having the camera move up when jumping up and down when moving down gives you a nice subtle look ahead feel.
Good luck and keep rocking!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
When I saw the textures, I immediately knew who made this game. :) But I was surprised that you didn't use the outlining feature from your tutorial to give the platforms more definition. Any particular reason?

The random generation works fairly well. Most of the platform strings of blocks were very similar to what someone might construct by hand. So nice job on the code. But like darthlupi said above, there was an occasional impossible jump. They weren't frequent. I played for several minutes before finding one.

I didn't understand the oscillating red blocks. There didn't interact with my character, so they don't seem to affect the gameplay at all. Did you just add them to test a feature?

Anyway... where is this going? Was it just a test to see how it worked? Or are you planning a real game with this? I think you could do something interesting with it.

EDIT. duh... just read your post more carefully about the red shapes. And about how to enable the outline. And about your ultimate plans. Stupid mods can't read.

Last edited:
M

modler2

I love randomly generated games, and platformers are an extra treat.

Here's my feedback on this project:
  1. There were a few places that presented impossible jumps. This might be because double jump was not functional for me.
  2. Ease of play would benefit GREATLY from a camera that followed the players movement in smoother way. There were several times I lost complete site of where I needed to land. Having the camera move up when jumping up and down when moving down gives you a nice subtle look ahead feel.
Good luck and keep rocking!
Thanks for the review. I'm currently working on how to improve the camera! I'm still new to 3d with game maker so I'm having a few issues with the camera. I fixed the double jump issue dont worry! As for the impossible jumps based on platform issues I'm still working on fixing the creation process to prevent this.

When I saw the textures, I immediately knew who made this game. :) But I was surprised that you didn't use the outlining feature from your tutorial to give the platforms more definition. Any particular reason?

The random generation works fairly well. Most of the platform strings of blocks were very similar to what someone might construct by hand. So nice job on the code. But like darthlupi said above, there was an occasional impossible jump. They weren't frequent. I played for several minutes before finding one.

I didn't understand the oscillating red blocks. There didn't interact with my character, so they don't seem to affect the gameplay at all. Did you just add them to test a feature?

Anyway... where is this going? Was it just a test to see how it worked? Or are you planning a real game with this? I think you could do something interesting with it.

EDIT. duh... just read your post more carefully about the red shapes. And about how to enable the outline. And about your ultimate plans. Stupid mods can't read.
The red blocks are a representation of enemies and how they could spawn and or move. It was a test to see if the code I wrote to check the levels worked. Its simple reading an array at i comparing to i +1 and it keeps going till the height isnt the same if the distance is greater then 2 blocks it will create the enemy.

Don't worry Im aware of the impossible jumps lol I'm working on fixing the creation process to remove this issue. I'm only actually about 4 hours into coding this project lol.

I'm planning on making a full rpg with this system as a bonus level to grind for gear and experience. Well that and if the engine is solid enough, ill probably release it as a editable example or put it on the marketplace for a dollar lol

oh and I didn't add the black outline yet to the rocks because it takes a lot of time to duplicate each part and resize etc. Eventually I will but at the moment the engine is more important than the visuals.

C

CamperLv

Must admit, it is harsh start.

You made quite long jump.

Harsh levels, will give you that.

Wanted to complain about this, but i actually made it. Yay me.

And i met 2 or maybe 3 wide spaces in my 10 min, that i couldn't jump over. +Frame rate was dropping quiet often to 20-30 fps.

Oh and my first post in new forum, can't forget that. and edit too...

M

modler2

Must admit, it is harsh start.

You made quite long jump.

Harsh levels, will give you that.

Wanted to complain about this, but i actually made it. Yay me.

And i met 2 or maybe 3 wide spaces in my 10 min, that i couldn't jump over. +Frame rate was dropping quiet often to 20-30 fps.

Oh and my first post in new forum, can't forget that. and edit too...
I have made it now so that the largest gap will be 2 spaces, spikes will not spawn on the 2nd block at the start, double jump works fine now so a lot of those issues should be solved. The camera now also moves up and down with the player along with zooming out a tad while you jump to try and give a wider field of vision.

As for your frame rate issue do you have a dedicated graphics card? I tested it with my Intel integrated card (I think it's 4000 not sure came with my i5) and my Nvidia card I got a stable 60fps on both.

Slight visual update, the background and grass are WIP and i added a front variation to one of the blocks:

lolslayer

Maybe adding some vertex lighting

[EDIT] also, fix some basic platforming issues, when I'm standing directly next to a wall and jump, I'll get semi-stuck in the wall

C

CamperLv

I have made it now so that the largest gap will be 2 spaces, spikes will not spawn on the 2nd block at the start, double jump works fine now so a lot of those issues should be solved. The camera now also moves up and down with the player along with zooming out a tad while you jump to try and give a wider field of vision.

As for your frame rate issue do you have a dedicated graphics card? I tested it with my Intel integrated card (I think it's 4000 not sure came with my i5) and my Nvidia card I got a stable 60fps on both.

Slight visual update, the background and grass are WIP and i added a front variation to one of the blocks:
Well i have GeForce GT 750M (i think) with 1gb vram, 8gb of ram and i5. Maybe fps dropped because i don't clean my pc.

M

modler2

Maybe adding some vertex lighting

[EDIT] also, fix some basic platforming issues, when I'm standing directly next to a wall and jump, I'll get semi-stuck in the wall
I'm about 95% moving the entire engine (movement, collision etc.) to a much better engine, I noticed that bug as well and have fixed it. Just adding some major changes, once all is said and done I'm going to try and add lighting based around platforms that are 4+ objects long with a light that moves with the player object.

Well i have GeForce GT 750M (i think) with 1gb vram, 8gb of ram and i5. Maybe fps dropped because i don't clean my pc.
I tested it on my laptop with a gt 710m and it ran 60fps, I'm running an i5 at 3.2ghz, 16gb ddr 3 ram. However at the moment in reach room there is ~300 objects, I'm planning on coding it much more efficiently that it will cut that down to about 100 but still have the same level structure.

lolslayer

I'm about 95% moving the entire engine (movement, collision etc.) to a much better engine, I noticed that bug as well and have fixed it. Just adding some major changes, once all is said and done I'm going to try and add lighting based around platforms that are 4+ objects long with a light that moves with the player object.

I tested it on my laptop with a gt 710m and it ran 60fps, I'm running an i5 at 3.2ghz, 16gb ddr 3 ram. However at the moment in reach room there is ~300 objects, I'm planning on coding it much more efficiently that it will cut that down to about 100 but still have the same level structure.
Ah, okay :)

M

modler2

Quick update, I have the 3d and fully random levels working in the new engine, I added coin blocks, smarter ai that no longer require collision objects (was 2 per enemy), to reduce object count, enemies can both hurt you and you can now kill them, and finally I am re-doing the random generation process to do one object that covers 2 spaces to reduce the total number of objects in a room by half. I'm hoping that this along with the addition of basic draw distance will help the game run better for those struggling to get 60fps.

I'm hoping to get a exe ready for all of you to play by the end of the week.

M

modler2

Bump: So I am almost done moving the 3d over to this platformer engine: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/466/traditional-platformer

I usually get ~ 65 fps stable however when recording with fraps my laptop dropped a ton of frames but you can still see it in the video!

video:

Things I currently have working
----------------------------------------------
3d camera (still buggy)
3d draw distance (not finished but saves memory not drawing blocks to the farest edges of screen)
3d flip for character and enemies like in paper mario
randomly generated levels with coin and breakable blocks, enemies and spaces to fall
bloom (used a shader for this)
touch controls thanks to enemies (planning to port to android once more complete)
basic 360 support (dpad to move)

Things to continue working on
----------------------------------------------
draw background and foreground decals
improve fps and optimize game
more enemy variety
end post at level to complete level
rpg elements

pictures:

T

THTerra

Here are some Things i did not like :D I hope this helps :D

- I did not knew that i can double Jump (There is nothing that does explain it to me (Many People don't want to read Instructions))
- I can't pause the Game
- The Background does not move at all
- There is no Music
- I can't use the Buttons in the Menu with my Mouse
- I can't use WASD to Move
- I don't know wich Monsters do hurt me
- I can't see where i will land when i use the Jump-Platform Thingy

M

modler2

Thanks for the input! I did not realize the pause menu was bugging so that is what I am working on fixing first. I actually didnt think to add mouse support lol derp, good idea though that is something I will absolutely consider! I just finished adding WASD to move and will also make left click jump along with space bar in case you prefer to use k+m instead of just keyboard. The camera is still my biggest issue. I'm still not very familiar with 3d and especially working the camera to move up and down based on the character. As for the background not moving thats because I plan on having an actual 3d background (see photos below) with a still image that follows the character instead of a parallax background!

Just some quick updates:
-------------------------------------
Added 3d models for all of the coin, brick and dead boxes.
Added 3d tree models for the background(wip - model still not finished)
The game is currently now running at 1080p60 in full screen instead of 720p60 in windowed mode!
Mushroom replaced spring sprite (until 3d model is made)

new video:

new photos:

M

modler2

Update Bump! Try the new demo and let me know what you need!
Added a 3d mushroom model, added a 3d wip background and fixed background trunk model/texture, added wip water (very early design), added animated gems and most importantly a highly improved camera that rotates according to height that allows you to have vision of the ground at all times!