• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Good Ol' Gaming Memories

RujiK

Let's discuss pleasant memories of gaming past such as:
  • Awful games you thought were amazing, or anything that impressed you
  • Games that made you socially cool
  • Something you believed that isn't true
  • Anything that could end with "Ah, those were the good ol' days."

I'll start:

When I played my first 3d games I assumed gaming worlds worked just like the real world.

This meant those stupid invisible walls (Force fields as I called them) were just there to keep you focused, but if you could get around them, there would be an entire world to explore. You could even go from one game to another! Most games take place on the same planet, right????

Those stupid programmers just didn't want me to explore.

H

HyperbipolART

Fun topic!

Hmmm...

Awful games that were amazing? Hmmm... I can't think of any well wait a minute... I really liked Bump N' Jump from the NES. I don't think that's critically acclaimed or anything.

Games that made me socially cool? I don't even. Can't even. Can't think of a game I ever tried just to be socially cool. That's a hard one. The most sociable game I ever played was Pokémon and it wasn't for cool points. (Raise your hand if you lost friends over or were robbed because of Pokémon!)

I wanted to believe that GameInformer hoax about Sonic being in smash bros melee.

And I too believed there was something beyond those invisible barriers until I got a GameShark for my N64 and no clipped link out of every environment I could think of... (I also believed the rumor about the Triforce being hidden in a temple in the clouds that you could only get to with the GameShark. Ahh those were the days... :))

G

gibberingmouther

morrowind was magical the first time i played it. i had lots of good times with neverwinter nights. also special were ocarina of time and majora's mask.

pixeltroid

Zelda:Links Awakening on the classic gameboy, which was my very first game.

Exploring stuff, collecting weapons and items, surprises around every corner...thats what good games are made of. I just loved the music, the inventory, the charecters and the world design (forests, deserts, swamps, mountains, waterfalls, dungeons). As a kid I used to wonder how Links huge world was even packed into a tiny cartridge.

That game was perfect in every way. Good memories!

RujiK

I second that Link's Awakening is an awesome game.

Was anyone super gullible as a kid? Back in the day Pokemon had LOADS of fake cheats floating around the internet, like how to catch pokegods, how to go to secret zones, how to catch a baby pikachu... And most of them included "Talk to this person 1000 times...."

And that stupid truck by the SS Anne... There's definitely a Mew under it.

M

Misu

I second that Link's Awakening is an awesome game.

Was anyone super gullible as a kid? Back in the day Pokemon had LOADS of fake cheats floating around the internet, like how to catch pokegods, how to go to secret zones, how to catch a baby pikachu... And most of them included "Talk to this person 1000 times...."

And that stupid truck by the SS Anne... There's definitely a Mew under it.
Yes... i have been victim of this several times during my childhood, but not to worry... im getting close to getting that celebi by talking to that lady on cinnabar island. Im only 2,534 attempts away to reaching 1,000,000. Wooo!

C

crumblewolf

Can't remember which version of tomb raider it was but I remember spending hours with a friend trying to piece together third hand information from peoples cousins older brothers who had managed to get the Laura Croft nudity cheat to work. Still don't know to this day if there is such a thing haha.

I also have fond memories of playing my gameboy on car journeys and having to play at night by the light of passing street lights.

G

Galladhan

Among the most vivid memories i have about videogames a special place is occupied by Jeff Minter.
Andes Attack (VIC-20) and Attack of the Mutant Camels (Commodore 64) changed my imaginary. Forever.

RujiK

Socially cool post: Anyone play MS-DOS's Bio Menace?

At the age of 7 I convinced my mother that it was too violent for my 4 year old brother to watch me play.

I was the cool older brother who got to play violent video games.

C

crumblewolf

Playing time splitters future perfect 4 way split screen all night. Game mode virus on the map that looked like a Mexican village. Man that game was great.

A

Alex Lyons

My first video game was Super Mario Bros on Super Mario All-Stars. I ran right into the first goomba and was super confused on why I kept falling through the floor.

I then learned how to jump and my love of video games arose.

K12gamer

Constantly busting my controllers while playing Track and Field on the Atari 2600...

You had to move the stick back and forth as fast as you could to win (Resulting in massive controller damage)...