• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Space Rocks Tutorial

G

GMteacher1515

Greetings,

My students and I are going step by step in the Space Rocks Tutorial. As we get to the moving of the ship, we all DnD the code exactly the same. I have about 5 students whose ship will not move. I deleted their sprite and re-created, then re-coded it. Still no movement. Any ideas???

G

GMteacher1515

nope, we follow the directions exactly. I have 30 students and about 6 of them have ships that won't move.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
They are not following it exactly if they are not getting the same results.

Upload some examples of the ones that don't move. There will be deviations in them that look wrong on inspection.

And if you are using GMS 2.3, when the tutorial starts covering scripts, you have to remember to use the Declare Function action (DnD) or the function keyword (GML). Space Rocks has not been updated to GMS 2.3+ in this regard.

G

GMteacher1515

They are not following it exactly if they are not getting the same results.

Upload some examples of the ones that don't move. There will be deviations in them that look wrong on inspection.

And if you are using GMS 2.3, when the tutorial starts covering scripts, you have to remember to use the Declare Function action (DnD) or the function keyword (GML). Space Rocks has not been updated to GMS 2.3+ in this regard.
Appreciate the feedback. I have sat at the computer and typed coding to move left right and forward... I will take screen shots and post here. Maybe a new set of eyes will help.

G

GMteacher1515

I had the students completely start from scratch again... Started the tutorial over... Still can not get the ship to move.

Any ideas?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Compare a working project and a non-working project side by side. You may want to use a tool that takes two input files and outputs the differences between the two files for this. If there are any technical differences between the two projects, this will clearly point them out.

Upload a sample of a non-working project and I'll take a look at it myself.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Once again, upload some samples of projects that don't move properly. Until that happens, all we can do is guess what you've done wrong.

For the students that still don't have movement working, make them watch Part 2 6:00 - 11:00 again. Make sure they're using the Key Down events (NOT Key Pressed events), the Set Instance Rotation actions have Relative checked, and the function call from 10:35 is filled out exactly as shown.

TheouAegis

It would be odd if 5 people all did it (unless they cheated off each other for some reason...), but make sure none of them have Physics Enabled in the room. The Space Rocks tutorial uses GM's built-in movement, right? That functionality is disabled when Physics is enabled for the room. An object with physics enabled can function in a normal room, but a normal object cannot function in a Physics room.