• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

the tetris effect

P

piksil_demon

You know what the tetris effect is, right?
in short, its when you play a game, or read a book whose world has different mechanics from our own, and you mistakenly try to apply them to the real world.
i.e, stacking things in a straight line, hoping theyll disappear like in tetris.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect
im having a similar problem with coding. i see things that i dont like, or didnt plan on and my first thought is "must be a glitch" of something along those lines.
plus ive also been dreaming of coding. not the good type of dream. the slow, tedious, repeating one that makes you wish you were awake.

anyone else have this problem? how do you deal with it?

Last edited by a moderator:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The closest thing I've seen is a meme type thing, blaming mario kart for forcing someone to swerve due to a banana peel on the road!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I actually do this... a LOT! I used to play Tetris (the original when it first came out... I am old!) all the damned time, and since then when I pack anything I have to pack it in the most efficient way possible. In the supermarket I fight with the bag fillers to do it myself because I get so frustrated watching them use 3 bags when I could have done it in 1 with some nifty tetris-packing! I won't let my wife pack our cases when we go on holiday either, and the shelves in the kitchen are my domain and noone better mess them up. So, yeah, the Tetris effect is real and it affects me since I was about 10... :p

Mercerenies

Never actually done it with Tetris, but I'm familiar with the effect. When I play old block-pushing puzzle games from my childhood, I start viewing rooms I'm in as puzzles and deducing which objects I need to push or pull to "open" the door and get out. Also, chess. I've found myself (especially when bored in the middle of a particularly long lecture) subconsciously planning out chess moves using objects in the immediate vicinity.

Ninety

I avoid playing adventure games, because afterwards I keep trying to overheat my computer so I can cook turkey eggs on top for my breakfast, or tape my cat to the end of a pool cue to use as a broom for those tricky, high up spots.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I recognize that... to live more efficiently, I usually simultaneously chat with Tsuka, watch videos (we use a sync service to watch the same videos at the same time, so it's almost like watching a normal TV series together in the sofa), and play an RPG. No time wasted :p The thing is that the game GUI tend to 'rub off' on me so that I see afterimages of it afterwards, especially when I'm tired. Applies both to health displays and similar omnipresent GUI elements as well as temporary but frequent popup menus. I've not noticed any correlation between GUI health and my own physical condition, either.

G

Galladhan

When i'm exploring woods in search of mushrooms and i notice a pattern of rocks, i always start jumping from one to another repeating: "Mamma mia!" or "Yippee!". And, of course, i can't live without my moustache : )

P

piksil_demon

Never actually done it with Tetris, but I'm familiar with the effect. When I play old block-pushing puzzle games from my childhood, I start viewing rooms I'm in as puzzles and deducing which objects I need to push or pull to "open" the door and get out. Also, chess. I've found myself (especially when bored in the middle of a particularly long lecture) subconsciously planning out chess moves using objects in the immediate vicinity.
it isnt exclusive to tetris. if any game effects you the way explained in the wiki then your under the tetris effect. the way you explained is a prime example