• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Demo FlightSim Demo 2

M

Misty

Oh yeh! And i had fun playing it. I summarize my feedback:
Yay!

Atmosphere
I like the idea of the "flying instructor" who explains the pilot's tasks in a sarcastic, over the top, way. Nice touch. I would expand on this.
Yes the final game was planning to have more of that kind of stuff. Kind of like a replacement for tons of mp3 speech clips and give it a Japanese kind of feel rather than your ordinary flight sim.

I guess it depends more on GM:S 3D limitations than on your graphics skills, but i don't dislike the retro feeling. I would go with a different approach (if possible) though. Maybe using voxels (no idea if it's doable) or don't know... old school "vector/wireframe" graphics?
Something like the good old Star Wars coin-op by Atari:
That was never the idea I had in mind for the game. I was originally inspired by an old post of That Games Guy's flightsim. I am familar with That Games Guy's style of graphics as well as monkeydude's style of graphics, however his flight sim wouldn't load. Judging from the reviews it was really bad, the plane consisted of a bunch of ellipsoids and it had gimbal lock, but I thought to myself, what if there was an alternate universe where the flight sim did not suck, and this game was released back in 2000 in the Gm 3d section, where it would blow people's minds lol. Wanted it to have proper looking terrain and physics. Never had in mind the vector approach.
But I did want a little bit of that kinda starwars feel, with the frantic dogfights and the character development.

Physics
Wow! You did a great job with them. It's a pleasure to pilot the airplane.
There's just one thing that could be improved, in my opinion: speed.
But maybe you're still working on it? Maybe you could make it faster changing the graphics style approach?
No idea, i just have the feeling it should be a bit faster, especially when you're flying very low (maybe you could use blur effects for it?).
What about afterburner? :3

Kudos, anyway!
What do you mean by speed? What is your FPS? That's not good if your computer is slower than mine, I can't even run Starcraft 2 at low settings on this. Yoyogames is giving me the runaround, lost my license so I can't use YYC compiler at this time.
The plane style of this game is supposed to be Generation 3 fighter aircraft, no stealth capabilities and subcruise speed. It's actually set on another planet though, not Earth, but it is similar to Earth.
If you pull up the landing gear, you can get a subsonic cruise of 550 miles per hour. In the next version there will be afterburners (maybe, because I'd also have to program sonic boom as well.)

Last edited:
G

Galladhan

If you pull up the landing gear, you can get a subsonic cruise of 550 miles per hour.
Ehm, oops, i forgot to pull up the landing gear :p
Pardonne moi, i'm a bit rusted with flight simulators (the last one i played was probably Fighter Bomber on Commodore 64... unless we want to consider Pilotwings or Ace Combat as "flight sims").
Now it looks fast (even on my old core 2 duo E8400 + ati 6870 combo). :)

gitwalrus

Want to guess which set of flight controls are backwards this time? ; )

But anyways this is getting really nice! I love it.

M

Misty

Ehm, oops, i forgot to pull up the landing gear :p
Pardonne moi, i'm a bit rusted with flight simulators (the last one i played was probably Fighter Bomber on Commodore 64... unless we want to consider Pilotwings or Ace Combat as "flight sims").
Now it looks fast (even on my old core 2 duo E8400 + ati 6870 combo). :)
lol

Want to guess which set of flight controls are backwards this time? ; )
None of the flight controls are backwards? The pitch is supposed to be inverted.

But anyways this is getting really nice! I love it.
lol thanks

M

Misty

Thought it was the other way around. But if not, its an easy fix, expect it updated in next version lol.

I mainly appreciate the bold effort to utilize 3d in game maker. The code can get pretty hairy compared to a typical 2d game. Furthermore, it piques my interest to see how far a developer can produce with 3d in GML. Very well done! I look forward to seeing more!

gitwalrus

Thought it was the other way around. But if not, its an easy fix, expect it updated in next version lol.
This is aiming to be a game right? Not with life like handling right? If you are aiming for realism I can defiantly help you with any questions regarding aviation.

M

Misty

I mainly appreciate the bold effort to utilize 3d in game maker. The code can get pretty hairy compared to a typical 2d game. Furthermore, it piques my interest to see how far a developer can produce with 3d in GML. Very well done! I look forward to seeing more!
Thanks! There probably will be more

This is aiming to be a game right? Not with life like handling right? If you are aiming for realism I can defiantly help you with any questions regarding aviation.
What particular things would you like to see?

M

Misty

Some sort of radar system would be cool. Maybe some basic aircraft systems management (programming the navigational systems, etc.), fuel burn, etc.
This game is delayed until further notice.

Radar is planned in future versions, as well as a waypoint system maybe, but it is video-gamey and you can't customize the waypoint coordinates. Also there will never be an option to change the fuel mix, we want to keep it as "pickupandplay"-friendly as possible.

Far as I can tell, noone has actually even beaten the demo yet (and there aren't even any enemies.) We don't want to confuse them with fuel burn too (whatever that is.) As for fuel burning and running out, yes there will be that in the full game.

C

carlosagh

the download link doesnt wrk where can i get a fresh version of this demo?

M

Misty

Okay, just to let everybody know, I removed the file from host-a-net to make room for my game jam games.

Last edited: