• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM GMS EA Version 1.99.505

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
http://store.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio-ea/GMStudio-Installer-1.99.505.exe

Release notes

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update 1.99.505 of GameMaker: Studio. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using http://www.yoyogames.com/support/bug if you do not have direct Mantis access.

You should post here if:
  • You think you have found a bug and have exhausted all other possibilities (ie: code error, incorrect setup, etc...)
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "traceIDE.log" file found in the roaming appdata folder for GMS
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a GMZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If the issue is with the installer or updater, please ensure you attach your %localappdata%\[Studio or Studio Early Access]\trace.log along with any trace .zip files in that folder.
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them.
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Note that each new version released the old topic will be locked and a new topic will be made, so that all issues reported can be tracked correctly on a per-version basis. If you think your issue has not been fixed in the subsequent update, then please add a comment in the thread and ensure you file a bug report. (Please don’t continue doing this for every future release until your bug is fixed - just file the report and then you can leave off mentioning it in the thread).

Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We are aware that the Facebook extension currently on the Marketplace/inside GM won't work with this release, following an Android manifest fix for FB and the change to allow annotation support on iOS (which was a change required to support the current Facebook SDK, as we're updating that extension). The new version of the extension will go up on the Marketplace soon, in time for this EA moving to the Beta branch.

Last edited:
J

jackhigh24

@Dan i see you fixed the max heap size issue, but what did you set it to or how is it implemented, if its still at 4g then it will still give problems with 32bit systems wont it as they cant have 4gig available on them.

EDIT
ok i see it seems like you have told it to not apply it if the system cant support it, but then wont that give a problem with the other bug of not having enough ram for projects with lots of large ext in them when compiling, although iv not seen that issue my self on 32 bit systems, so maybe not a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jackhigh24

@chmod777 have you tested it, as some things i put on mantis did not get assigned to any one or any replies, but they all got fixed apart from just one, thats very minor and might only be on my computer for all i know as i dont see anyone else mentioning it even on the forums, but its very in your face if you look in preferences in two certain tabs.

K

kurtwaldo

We are aware that the Facebook extension currently on the Marketplace/inside GM won't work with this release, following an Android manifest fix for FB and the change to allow annotation support on iOS (which was a change required to support the current Facebook SDK, as we're updating that extension). The new version of the extension will go up on the Marketplace soon, in time for this EA moving to the Beta branch.
Really anticipating this. I do notice that it says in bugs fixed:
  • 0020458 Functions: Facebook Feed dialog crashes in iOS
So despite this, I still will not be able to make a build with the Facebook stuff not crashing on iOS? I have two clients who have been waiting months and really need a work around. Please let me know how I can achieve this! Thanks!

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Dan i see you fixed the max heap size issue, but what did you set it to or how is it implemented, if its still at 4g then it will still give problems with 32bit systems wont it as they cant have 4gig available on them.

EDIT
ok i see it seems like you have told it to not apply it if the system cant support it, but then wont that give a problem with the other bug of not having enough ram for projects with lots of large ext in them when compiling, although iv not seen that issue my self on 32 bit systems, so maybe not a problem.
We added a new Preference so that people can control the heapsize themselves. By default this is blank/empty, and so you get Java's default heapsize and so it works fine for 32bit users, however, you can make it 4GB or whatever you like - Gradle actually wants you to use 5GB (you'll see messages about this in your compile log), as this apparently allows it to get a performance boost...

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Please let me know how I can achieve this! Thanks!
If you download the updated Facebook demo from this link, then you can replace the extension in your project with the updated one from inside the demo. This one works with EA505 only!

The demo and the extension are in testing at the moment, so please do let us know here if you get it working okay as well as if you have any issues.

chmod777

@chmod777 have you tested it, as some things i put on mantis did not get assigned to any one or any replies, but they all got fixed apart from just one, thats very minor and might only be on my computer for all i know as i dont see anyone else mentioning it even on the forums, but its very in your face if you look in preferences in two certain tabs.
No, I've tested it on 3 computers and the error always occured with Firefox when I want to get in fullscreen mode. I don't know what happens exactly as it is difficult to read the obfuscated code. I think most of the users use Chrome (especially on mobile devices), so this is the reason why only a few people have reported this issue. Anyway, it would be good to implement the unprefixed fullscreen API too.

Thanks for reading.

We are still waiting for the update for the Facebook extension, we are stuck on choosing whether we want Facebook in our game or to revert back and still have the libpng bug.

K

kurtwaldo

If you download the updated Facebook demo from this link, then you can replace the extension in your project with the updated one from inside the demo. This one works with EA505 only!

The demo and the extension are in testing at the moment, so please do let us know here if you get it working okay as well as if you have any issues.
I am in the process of trying to get this to work but am experiencing issues. In EAv1.99.505, I can't even seem to compile to iOS; it nearly finishes, but then presents the following error:

"YourGameName.xcodeproj cannot be opened because the project file cannot be parsed."

This occurs with a single room and object within it, and I am using Xcode 7.3.1

I was however able to get the Facebook extension (current extension in the marketplace) working with the new beta build.

Thanks Dan!
-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kurtwaldo

We are still waiting for the update for the Facebook extension, we are stuck on choosing whether we want Facebook in our game or to revert back and still have the libpng bug.
Hmm; can't you achieve both? The libpng bug is oin Android, and the Facebook crashing bug is in iOS; so you could revert GMStudio just for the iOS compile version. Do you know the latest version which facebook dialog functions are working on iOS?

R

renex

This EA suffers from the same android building bug as 1760.

It's on Mantis.

Hmm; can't you achieve both? The libpng bug is oin Android, and the Facebook crashing bug is in iOS; so you could revert GMStudio just for the iOS compile version. Do you know the latest version which facebook dialog functions are working on iOS?
The problems persists solely on android yyc to my knowledge, however we where able to successfully use the new update by taking the new Facebook Extension from the Facebook demo project as said by @Dan.

E

Ego360

I download the updated Facebook demo and facebook_dialog with "apprequests" doesn't work on Android.

This is the code the code that works in the previous extension release:

var invigraphParametri;
invigraphParametri = ds_map_create();
ds_map_add(invigraphParametri, "message", string(TxtMessage));
ds_map_add(invigraphParametri, "to", SenderId);
ds_map_add(invigraphParametri, "data", "CustomData");
ds_map_add(invigraphParametri, "frictionless", "1");
facebook_dialog("apprequests", invigraphParametri, -1);
ds_map_destroy(invigraphParametri);

The function is essential for the Games Dinamics (For exmple TURNS dynamic).
GUIDE: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/games/services/gamerequests

Please solve this problem.

Thanks for help.

P

PlayLight

http://store.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio-ea/GMStudio-Installer-1.99.505.exe

Release notes

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update 1.99.505 of GameMaker: Studio. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using http://www.yoyogames.com/support/bug if you do not have direct Mantis access.

You should post here if:
  • You think you have found a bug and have exhausted all other possibilities (ie: code error, incorrect setup, etc...)
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "traceIDE.log" file found in the roaming appdata folder for GMS
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a GMZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If the issue is with the installer or updater, please ensure you attach your %localappdata%\[Studio or Studio Early Access]\trace.log along with any trace .zip files in that folder.
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them.
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Note that each new version released the old topic will be locked and a new topic will be made, so that all issues reported can be tracked correctly on a per-version basis. If you think your issue has not been fixed in the subsequent update, then please add a comment in the thread and ensure you file a bug report. (Please don’t continue doing this for every future release until your bug is fixed - just file the report and then you can leave off mentioning it in the thread).

Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

I just wanted to say, really great work on this revision. It's been an absolute pleasure to work with.
The additions to the Android module alone are remarkable and open new doors to a vast array of possibilities and customization.
There really is no other product in it's field (and i work with quite a few) that gives this much easy and development control over Android applications and 2D gaming.

So thank you very much to the team for all the hard work!

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
Bug:
So my friend and I are having this really annoying bug in the room editor (who wound have thought that the room editor could get even worse), take a look at the .gif below:
Basically what happens is the drop-down menu for choosing which object you're placing in the room randomly flickers and, even worse, closes itself right after you open a folder with no subfolders in it (note that in the .gif above I'm not clicking anything except for to open the initial drop-down menu). Strangely, after enough fiddling with it (opening and closing the room editor, switching tabs etc.) it fixes itself. Anyone else having this problem?

PS: I'll file a bug report, no worries...

MaxRock

Bug:
So my friend and I are having this really annoying bug in the room editor (who wound have thought that the room editor could get even worse), take a look at the .gif below:
Basically what happens is the drop-down menu for choosing which object you're placing in the room randomly flickers and, even worse, closes itself right after you open a folder with no subfolders in it (note that in the .gif above I'm not clicking anything except for to open the initial drop-down menu). Strangely, after enough fiddling with it (opening and closing the room editor, switching tabs etc.) it fixes itself. Anyone else having this problem?

PS: I'll file a bug report, no worries...

The resource tree thumbnail generation happens now after the project fully load into the IDE (to speed up overall project loading), and this is what causes the issue you are getting. Until YoYo comes up with a fix, simply run the game right after loading it, or just wait a bit longer for the thumbnails to generate fully.

Last edited:

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
The resource tree thumbnail generation happens now after the project fully load into the IDE (to speed up overall project loading), and this is what causes the issue you are getting. Until YoYo comes up with a fix, simply run the game right after loading it, or just wait a bit longer for the thumbnails to generate fully.
Thanks for the info :)

R

Rukola

I have a quick question about installing the early access. The blog post announcing the EA mentions you can run it next to the stable version, but can you run it next to the beta version as well? Just checking ;)