• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[SOLVED]choosing a game icon, which is better?

jazzzar

hello guys, i just want to ask a simple question, some guy told me that my icon which is this :
isn't good looking, and suggested something else, so i went ahead and made something different, so i need you to help me choose what is best, this :

or this :

?​

A

Aura

The first one looks better. Because its focus is on the environment as well as the character while the second one is entirely focused on the character. Plus the first one is easier on eyes.

jazzzar

The first one looks better. Because its focus is on the environment as well as the character while the second one is entirely focused on the character. Plus the first one is easier on eyes.
that's one vote for the first, thanks :)

Last edited:
Z

zircher

Trying to imagine this shrunk down to 32x32 and I think the second would stand out better that that size. Can we see these at different sizes as well?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The second look the best IMO, but still kinda bad... you have a pixelated character in front of very organic background shapes, and those styles clashes with each other pretty badly. You should round off the character as well.

jazzzar

Short voting window there. :)
Indeed, i'm not a patient guy
The second look the best IMO, but still kinda bad... you have a pixelated character in front of very organic background shapes, and those styles clashes with each other pretty badly. You should round off the character as well.
That's true, the game didn't do well anyway so i'lm leaving it there and go on to the next game, i learned alot from that one

F

Fodderbot

Pitty You didn't put him in an action pose. :)

Also If you strengthened the composition by darkening the black to the Right oft he image the Idae of him peering into the darkness would read more fully.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
That's true, the game didn't do well anyway so i'lm leaving it there and go on to the next game, i learned alot from that one
Chances are it didn't go well just because you used a bad icon, they're the most important thing when it comes to your game's branding...

jazzzar

Pitty You didn't put him in an action pose. :)

Also If you strengthened the composition by darkening the black to the Right oft he image the Idae of him peering into the darkness would read more fully.
that's a thing maybe but nvm :p
Chances are it didn't go well just because you used a bad icon, they're the most important thing when it comes to your game's branding...
well actually no, many people clicked it but no much purchased, it's okay, that'w how it is with most of indie devs anyway

T

THTerra

The Third one, because you can clearly see the character in the icon ^^