• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Questions regarding Gamemaker (non programmer here)

D

Deleted User

First let me get this out of the way—I am not a programmer. I possess traditional art skills as well as experience with Blender, Maya, Photoshop, Gimp, etc. I have an idea for a 2D game I'd like to execute and I was considering the following: Unity, Unreal, and Godot. The problem with Unity is that it is not as out of the box or robust as Unreal Engine in terms of being "free." You see in order to make Unity good I'd have to purchase assets such as Playmaker and Corgi Engine. Unreal Engine already has a built in visual scripting system aka blueprints. I'd be interested in visual scripting since I have Zero programming skills/ or experience. Also, both Unity and Unreal are both geared towards 3D, which led me to discovering Godot. I believe the Godot engine looks very good for 2D games, but it also requires programming and uses it's own language. I just recently discovered Gamemaker studio and was impressed with the titles being made with it. I've read that no programming is required, but it's there if one needs it via it's own exclusive language.

The type of game I'm interesting in developing is largely inspired by the Sega Saturn 32-bit era. Platformers such as Astal. Here is an example screenshot of the visual style/ vividness I'm wanting to achieve (hopefully gamemaker is capable):

However, I have several questions regarding Gamemaker engine:

First, does it support spine software other than esotericsoftware's Spine? For example, would I be able to import cutout animations/ sprites w/ 2D bones from Blender into Gamemaker? What about DragonBones? Synfig Studio? Brash monkey's Spriter? Second, does the engine support FMV triggers of AVI, MPEG, or other video formats? (Ex. Say I wanted to add one during the end or start of game or during important story archs within game).

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Artwark

You can definitely make 32 bit graphics in game maker. It can easily support that kind of visuals (if you don't believe me, look at games like Murumasa)

Infact, Game Maker is best suited for these 2D games. Now as far as video goes, I think game maker can support videos as well. I'm not sure because I myself haven't tried it yet but I think it can support. Otherwise, you can simply make the animation, convert it as a GIF and then upload it as a sprite so that it can be played when loaded.

One of its few flaws is that it can't support 3D based graphics so if the bones you made on 2D are from 3D, I don't think it will work

For 2D graphics, you are just fine using Photoshop, GIMP or Flash as those types of animations can easily work for game maker.

D

Deleted User

Murumasa is a beautiful game, which is often considered to be a spiritual successor to Princess Crown (another Saturn gem). However, I was not aware it was made with game maker! Or maybe I misread you.

I've done research and it seems video can be done via purchasing extensions in marketplace. If anyone is familiar with the extensions then by all means please elaborate.

In terms of 2D graphics/animations, I suppose doing it the old fashioned way (animated gif?) would be best suited. I actually plan on modeling and rigging character in Blender. Then downscaling the rendered images/colors to 16bit. Then I can just create the animations frame by frame the good ol' fashioned way. Although programs like Spine seem wonderful, but I think Spine is the only 2D animation software that is compatible w/ GameMaker. Blender supports 2D bones, but it seems gamemaker has problems exporting blender files. Not a big deal. I'll stick with traditional frame by frame and pay out for Spine Essential (Professional is a bit pricey for me) if needed.

A

Artwark

Murumasa is a beautiful game, which is often considered to be a spiritual successor to Princess Crown (another Saturn gem). However, I was not aware it was made with game maker! Or maybe I misread you.

I've done research and it seems video can be done via purchasing extensions in marketplace. If anyone is familiar with the extensions then by all means please elaborate.

In terms of 2D graphics/animations, I suppose doing it the old fashioned way (animated gif?) would be best suited. I actually plan on modeling and rigging character in Blender. Then downscaling the rendered images/colors to 16bit. Then I can just create the animations frame by frame the good ol' fashioned way. Although programs like Spine seem wonderful, but I think Spine is the only 2D animation software that is compatible w/ GameMaker. Blender supports 2D bones, but it seems gamemaker has problems exporting blender files. Not a big deal. I'll stick with traditional frame by frame and pay out for Spine Essential (Professional is a bit pricey for me) if needed.
Oh I'm sorry, I meant Momodora. Still, I think 32 bit graphics is possible to implement in game maker.

Just out of curiosity, what does the OP mean by 32 bit graphics? As in sprites that have this sort of 3D peudo models in them? If that's the case, I definitely think it is possible to do so.

D

Deleted User

Just out of curiosity, what does the OP mean by 32 bit graphics? As in sprites that have this sort of 3D peudo models in them? If that's the case, I definitely think it is possible to do so.
Here are 2D games that were released during the 32bit console era. Specifically the Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation. Examples:

Astal (Saturn)
Street Fighter Alpha 2&3 (Saturn)
Nightstalkers (Saturn)
Vampire Savior (Saturn)
X-Men vs Street Fighter (Saturn)
Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSX / SATURN)
Rayman 1 (Saturn and PSX)
Mega Man 8(PSX & Saturn)
Oddworld games (PSX)
Skullmonkey (PSX)
Heart of Darkness (PSX)
GEX (Saturn and PSX)
Princess Crown (Saturn)
Dragon Force (Saturn)
Guardian Heroes (Saturn)
Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn)

Klonoa 1 and Tomb 1&2 on PSX use a mixture of 3D and 2D sprites. Same with Pandemonium!. These games are 32bit. Also, Bug! 1 & 2 on Saturn had 3d components, but also used 2D sprites and played like a 2D platformer. Same with NiGHTS into Dreams. And Clockwork Knight 1&2 (Saturn) uses prerendered 2D sprites of 3D models much like Donkey Kong Country on SNES.

I was interested in developing a 3d 2.5D game in same vein as say Klonoa 1&2, TOMBA1&2, and NiGHTS. However, I think maybe Unity/Unreal might be better for that. I think since I'm pretty new to programming a 2D game in same vein as Rayman 1 or Astal would be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheMatrixHasMe

Oh I'm sorry, I meant Momodora. Still, I think 32 bit graphics is possible to implement in game maker.

Yeah Jperk already answered this question but I just want to elaborate on it. I'm 37 and when I was a kid the nes 8 bit system came out and people were blown away. Then the super nintendo came out and it was a 16 bit system which was even better graphics. Then of course the next gen of consoles brought 32 bit. Basically these bits were the hallmark of the generation of these consoles and how they came to be identified. After this the way we identified the generation changed a little and bits became less important as we slipped into sony playstation and 3d graphics. But growing up, 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, these were the defining ways of looking at these systems. OP seems to have grown up during this time and thinks in these terms.

D

Deleted User

True. Some say the PS2 era was the golden for 3D as SNES was the golden era for 2D. Personally, I think the 8bit, 16bit, and 32bit (including early 3D titles) were all equally the golden era for games. It was interesting to see the 2D games evolve with more colors, etc. I appreciate the early 3D titles as well because the developers had to use tricks to work around the limitations and this usually involved implementing 2D gimmicks. For example, Resident Evil and FF7 had 3D models layered on top of 2D prerendered backgrounds of detailed environments. Other games like Klonoa, NiGHTS, TOMBA used a mixture of 2D sprites. Even Tomb Raider (the original) used 2D sprites for pickups. I loved the mixture of 2D and 3D during the 32bit era.

Also, I've really grown appreciative towards retro 2D games. I've dismissed indie studios in the past, but I don't understand why as I am really impressed w/ what I am seeing. To be honest, the XBONE/PS4 generation bores me. I've started collecting for my Sega Saturn. It's all I play when I have the time. I've been looking into indie titles on PC as well.