Legacy GM How to get GM to not desize

M

Misty

It's like, you're making an HD game, and GM won't let you have sprites larger than 1280?

How do you get HD sprites without dividing them into chunks?

M

Multimagyar

It's like, you're making an HD game, and GM won't let you have sprites larger than 1280?

How do you get HD sprites without dividing them into chunks?
Increase the size of the texture pages. the default is 1280 you can pump it up till 4000 something if you have GM:S pro.

W

Wraithious

How big do you need them to be? you could make the sprites 1280 and then scale them up in your game, if they aren't scaled up too much bigger than 1280 they would still look good

M

Multimagyar

How big do you need them to be? you could make the sprites 1280 and then scale them up in your game, if they aren't scaled up too much bigger than 1280 they would still look good
The question is not that what size the sprite needs to be but what he want to use it for. For instance if you have a high quality texture (2048x2048) scaling it up from a smaller size would loose quality. However in that case if it's a model or something that uses this specific texture mapping, he could break up the large entity into smaller portions with large textures making sure the texture quality stays high but with smaller subsections.

But if it is a sprite that should not be broken up in sub sections... oh boy... I personally would use sort of a bone animation or something like that with it.

In any case scaling something up and still make it look high quality is harder than scaling something down and make it look nicer than it supposed to.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
nope the max (and I was also mistaken) not 2048x2048 and not 4096x4096 but 8192x8192
And you are still mistaken.

The maximum texture size isn't always 8192x8192, that's for desktop platforms and HTML5 only. On mobile platforms such as iOS, Android and Windows Phone, you only have up to 2048x2048 to work with.

Even if you are allowed the full 8192x8192, sometimes a weaker or resource-strained system won't grant your request. For example, if you run an HTML5 game on Android, you are now under Android's 2048x2048 limit. Such discrepancies can cause unexpected behaviour at runtime.

M

Multimagyar

And you are still mistaken.

The maximum texture size isn't always 8192x8192, that's for desktop platforms and HTML5 only. On mobile platforms such as iOS, Android and Windows Phone, you only have up to 2048x2048 to work with.

Even if you are allowed the full 8192x8192, sometimes a weaker or resource-strained system won't grant your request. For example, if you run an HTML5 game on Android, you are now under Android's 2048x2048 limit. Such discrepancies can cause unexpected behaviour at runtime.
Fair point, I make the lack of mobile and HTML5 exports what I have an excuse for this. I don't think you would need a larger page than 2048x2048 personally. System limitations are given but if we would talk about that we would have to put "theoretically" before everything.

Thanks for the info tho the more I know~