Sonic The Hedgehog was actually good

TheouAegis

The movie had nothing on The Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog (aka Sonic SatAM), but for what it is on its own merits, this is far and away the best video game movie ever! My gal never played Sega games, so she was "meh" about it, but she did have a few good laughs. As a Genesis kid growing up, I LOVED this movie! Yes, it was made for kids, hella dumbed down, but it had so many nods to the games and TV shows. AND---

They tease a sequel in the works, so give them your money!

(This shining endorsement brought to you by a Gen Xer.)

pixeltroid

Will watch it when I get the chance. I find it interesting that someone in 2019 thought it'd be a good idea to make a movie about a 90s video game icon.

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
I find it interesting that someone in 2019 thought it'd be a good idea to make a movie about a 90s video game icon.
Which is something you'd say if your hindsight doesn't let you see farther than one palm away from your face. Nostalgia brings good money. And safe money is the best money. Nowadays Hollywood and big media companies avoid risks like the plague. An established franchise is the best market because you're guaranteed the money back, but a new franchise carries the weight of uncertainty. Which is why Disney has been on a remake binge for a few years now. Not to mention the Sonic movie is bolstered by good figures yielded by the Pokémon movie, which was certainly more of a risky move than this film.

Carnivius

i've never liked Sonic. ALways found the games rather shallow and samey. But eh I'm tempted to see the film just for return of 90's era Jim Carrey. And folk been telling me he brings the good stuff.

I probably won't see it in theaters, but I'll definitely pick it up on blu-ray upon release. I'm not a Sonic fan at all outside of '06 but I'm willing to give the movie a shot.

TheouAegis

At least Sega themselves oversaw production of Sonic The Hedgehog:
Masano Maeda
Toru Nakahara
Takeshi Itou
Hajime Satomi
Haruki Satomi
Clearly Sega wanted Sonic to fare better on the silver screen than Mario.

If they do make a sequel, I would hope that since Sonic is in Montana that they give Tails a cropduster.

And then after you've seen it, you can take a look at this link and see how many easter eggs you missed:

Last edited:
Which is something you'd say if your hindsight doesn't let you see farther than one palm away from your face. Nostalgia brings good money. And safe money is the best money. Nowadays Hollywood and big media companies avoid risks like the plague. An established franchise is the best market because you're guaranteed the money back, but a new franchise carries the weight of uncertainty. Which is why Disney has been on a remake binge for a few years now. Not to mention the Sonic movie is bolstered by good figures yielded by the Pokémon movie, which was certainly more of a risky move than this film.
Pokemon is the biggest media franchise on the planet. How is a Pokemon movie riskier than a Sonic movie? Are you talking about Detective Pikachu's specific plot, or? Edit: Ah, sorry. You meant that Sonic was less of a risk because Pikachu showed there was an actual market?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this whenever. Should be fun, one way or another, hahah.

Last edited:

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
You know how, before the movie starts, you have a bunch of cheezy film-related trivia questions mixed in with the ads and previews? I went and watched the Sonic movie a couple days ago, and while sitting through those, a trivia question about the Sonic franchise came up. It had a short timer before showing the answer, and in the last few seconds it started to play the drowning song from the games at full theatre-speaker blast. I almost had a f*cking heart attack.

I'm sure you know what tune I'm talking about, but for your reference:

Cpaz

Saw it theaters with family on thursday, we were the only people in that theater and had a great time.
If your a fan I highly recommend. Even if your not, I'd say it has enough material to work with to have a good time.

(If you can get past the flossing, oy vey...)