• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Importing resources from one project to another

Well,

I was advised to use the program GMS2 Resource Importer. I'm having trouble with it. I can't import sprites or sounds and believe it, I have a lot of sprites. So I'm at a loss and could use some help. Maybe if the person who advised me to use it in the first place.

(edit)

Also when I try to import rooms it doesn't import anything. So far it hasn't been useful at all. I"m sure this is my lack of experience of my tool but some help from someone would be nice.

(edit)
Sorry for the third edit but I got the rooms to import but I still am lost on the sprites and sounds

-Ted

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Resource merging is built into GMS 2 now. Use Tools > Create Local Package in the source to pack all the resources to transfer, then use Tools > Import Local Package in the target.

I just tried importing 221 sprites from my main project to a test project. It took around 2 minutes.

After you click Import Selected Resources From Source Project Into Destination Project! what happens? How long does it take to complete. What Status messages are you getting in the output box on the lower right corner of the Resource Importer tool.

Edit : Just saw @FrostyCat 's post. That's a good idea. Try that as well.

@IndianaBones Its taking me 10-15 minutes to create the YYMP.
(edit)
Is it that everytime I want to update from the source to the new project?t Do I have to create a new YYMP every time I want to import resources? Do I have to a new YYMP log out of my project ?
I'm asking because my project has hundreds of files. I can't go one by one. So I'm wondering if I do have to logging out and logging back into the projects. What I would like to do is a mark, from the dialogue, mark what I want to import, import it, exit from the dialogue, and have the project updated. But I guess that's not possible? And to have the resources marked that are marked because they were already imported. Cross-platformed. So if I close the project and reopen it t he marking are still there. I guess that's no t possible?
(edit)It takes me 15-20 minues for me to create a YYMP that is why i'm so concerned with creating creating a YYMP -> Importing YYMP -> Evaluate-> Create a new YYMP ->Importing YYMP etc. cycle

Last edited:

NightFrost

Is this export / import thing immune to some resource conflict I've had in the past? I've updated resources in the past by directly importing them into a project. I deleted old version and loaded in new, and it's been several times GMS has gotten confused, due to identical names I suppose, and asked if I would want to revert. The options it offered were pretty unclear and didn't really give me any clue which one to press to preserve the newly loaded version. Ever since I've always renamed old resources destined for trash bin as *_obsolete before deleting and bringing in new versions, which seems to avoid the problem.

Also, don't change text colors when posting. When using light forum theme light grey text on light grey is bit hard to read.

It s not importing assets like from the marketplace. Its from a YYMP. Importing from one project to another.You will see it under Tools.

Its taking me 10-15 minutes to create the YYMP.
Ah, I was actually asking about the time it took the Resource Importer tool to run. You said you can't import sprites and sounds.

It worked ok for me. So I was wondering at what point the Tool failed for you specifically, how long it took, and if there were any status messages after it had completed. ( I got a list of Succesful imports, and a couple that gave a warning of duplicate sprites).

Now its been since the last post and it still hasn't created a YYMP

(edit)

After 16 minutes the YYMP was made

(Edit)
Ok. which panel belong to which functionality. The asset packagre and the Project.

I thought it was the left hand side was your project and right hand side it seemed to be not so.

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
What sort of storage device are you saving the YYMP to? Just to make sure it's not being bottlenecked by a slow HDD, as that's the first thing that comes to mind when anything takes an extraordinarily long amount of time.

rIKmAN

Ok. which panel belong to which functionality. The asset packagre and the Project.

I thought it was the left hand side was your project and right hand side it seemed to be not so.
The image on the manual page that I linked you to when you PM'd me shows what each panel is for with the title above the panel.
As you can clearly see above the panels - the left side says "Project:" and the right side says "Asset Package:".

You select things from the project in the left window ("Project:") that you want to include in the Asset Package, then click Add (or "Add All" if it's everything) to copy them onto the right side ("Asset Package:").
Once you have selected everything you want to be included in the Asset Package, click OK and save the .yymp somewhere (do not save this to your OneDrive folder - this could be causing slowdown)

Once you have the Asset Package (.yymp) you can import that into any project you like and the assets inside it will be imported into the project.
You do not need to create a new project when you import an Asset Package, if it is doing this then it's because you have the box ticked which says "Import everything into a new project" when importing the .yymp.

Again, this is clearly shown and explained in the manual page I linked you to in reply to your PM.
The tickbox is on the bottom left of the window.

What sort of storage device are you saving the YYMP to? Just to make sure it's not being bottlenecked by a slow HDD, as that's the first thing that comes to mind when anything takes an extraordinarily long amount of time.
@Tsuka: My computer specs are:
Motherboard: MSI B360-A PRO, Intel B360 Chipset, LGA 1151, DisplayPort, ATX Motherboard
CPU: INTEL Coreâ„¢ i5-9400F 6-Core 2.9 - 4.1GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 65W TDP, Retail Processor
GPU: ASUS GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti Advanced ROG-STRIX-GTX1660TI-A6G-GAMING, 1500 - 1830MHz, 6GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
RAM: CRUCIAL 16GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2666MHz, CL16, Grey, DIMM Memory
STORAGE: SEAGATE 1TB BarraCuda ST1000DM010, 7200 RPM, SATA 6Gb/s NCQ, 64MB cache, 3.5-Inch HDD
SSD CRUCIAL 250GB MX500 7mm, 560 / 510 MB/s, 3D NAND, SATA 6Gb/s, 2.5-Inch SSD

It should be able to handle making YYMP, disagre?

Other thing while we an admin in here. This is happening a lot where I type a post and go to sclick and its kicked me out and everything I wrote is deleted. Its gotten to the point where I make up a duplicate before I post replu"

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I'm not an admin, I'm a lowly moderator. :p If you're experiencing issues with the website or forums, please forward them to the helpdesk so the squirrels over at YoYo Land can deal with it.

That aside, not considering potential external factors such as overheating and underclocking as a result of it, that shouldn't have any issues doing what you're trying to do. Did you try saving to the SSD rather than the HDD?

Tsuka: It was originally on SSD but put it over on the normal HDD because someone say that might solve my problems with the lonewolff's video player. I believe you were in that discussion.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Storing stuff on an SSD won't cause or solve any technical problems. At most, where on that SSD you store things (e.g. cloud folder, restricted system folder) can cause or solve problems. It'll drastically speed up any file I/O operations, though.