GMC Jam Discussion The Leapin' GMC Jam 36 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder

THEME:

EVERYTHING HAS A COST

The GMC Jam is a WILD game development contest run every 3 months by the GameMaker Community. This is the 36th such jam.

Members compete to make the best game possible over the course of just 96 hours.

GMC Jam 36 will take place on the following dates:

February 27th, 2020 12:00 UTC - March 2nd, 2020 12:00 UTC
(Countdown Clock)

• Any GMC member can take part in the GMC Jam. You must use GameMaker to create your game.
  • Games must be made between 12:00 UTC on February 27th and 12:00 UTC on March 2nd, and posted in the games topic.
  • You may use resources such as graphics, sounds and scripts that were made prior to the jam, as long as the bulk of your work takes place during Jam weekend.
  • You may create one post per entry in the games topic. You may create this post before your game is finished and continue editing that post to update your progress, in fact you are encouraged to write a devlog!
  • All entries must have a download link in the Games Topic before it closes at 12:00 UTC on March 2nd.
  • All entries must work on Windows as a standalone executable / compressed zip folder. No installers please. Your entry can also work in HTML5 and on other platforms, but only the Windows build will be judged.
  • All entries are encouraged to follow the Jam theme. It isn't mandatory to do so, but you'll often get more favourable reviews from your peers!
  • You may participate alone or in a team of up to 3 members. See the "teams" section below if you're looking for teammates.
That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Games Topic when it opens!

• As soon as the Jam ends on March 2nd at 12:00 UTC, a zip folder of the games will be created and posted in the voting topic so that players can download all the entries at once if they wish.
  • Voters will then have around 2 weeks to play and rank the games and voting will close on March 16th at 9:00 UTC.
  • Any member of the GMC can vote, even if they didn't enter the jam. You cannot vote for your own entry. Votes shall be posted in the voting topic.
  • Voters are encouraged to rank as many games as possible, and their final votes must include at least their top 3 games. More information on this will be provided in the voting topic when it opens.
Boring technical info about how the votes are counted: Entries receive points based on where each voter ranked them, following the formula 1/(rank+1). So if a voter puts a game 1st, it gets 0.5 points. If a voter puts a game 6th, it gets ~0.143 points. These are all added up by the Jam Host to find the overall rank for each game.

That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Voting Topic when it opens!

Main Prizes
  • The winner(s) get to decide the Theme of the next GMC Jam.
  • The top 3 entrants, as well as winners of the "Best Of" categories will win personalised banners for their forum signature and a place in the Hall of Fame topic.
  • More to be confirmed...

Community Prizes

Members can offer their own prizes for the GMC Jam. PM me, @GameDevDan , and I'll add your prize to the list. NOTES: You should offer something based on your skills, rather than a commercial prize. You will also need to handle giving out the prizes yourselves after the end of the jam.

You may enter the GMC Jam as part of a team (up to 3 members). Sometimes collaborating as part of a team can help you to e-meet new and interesting people. Here we will list people looking for teammates. If you want to be added to the list, send me @GameDevDan , a private message with the skills you are offering.
  • @JacktheBlindRabbit has found a team.
  • @Misu. My skills are programming (gml), art, and shaders (glsl es).
  • @AnotherHero - I am exclusively a GML programmer. Also, could you do me a favor and leave a note that I work full time every day that the jam is going on, so I will only be able to work ~2 hours a day? I just don't want to find a team and leave them disappointed.
  • EXAMPLE: ( Member ) is a ( Skill ) looking for a ( Other Skill )...

The more people that enter the jam, the more fun we'll all have! Spread the word far and wide. Use the hashtag #GMCJam on Twitter (and other social media networks), join the Discord Chat, and talk about your games on the GameMaker Reddit. You are, of course, encouraged to talk about the Jam as much as possible here on the GameMaker Community. Create a devlog on the Work In Progress forum if you dare, and definitely post your thoughts, comments and memes in this very discussion topic!

You can also change your signature to tell other GMC members about the jam:

Signature Image:

BB Code:
Code:
[url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-leapin-gmc-jam-36-discussion-topic.71621/][img]https://i.imgur.com/1zofX6r.png[/img][/url]

Last edited:
M

Misu

I dont think I will participate in jams anymore since I applied for a new job position that may take my saturdays away as well.

However, I think it is slightly possible for me to team up with anyone that is in need.

Im good with programming, art, and shaders. I have both GMS 1.4 and GMS 2

If anyone needs someone Im up for it.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Oh yeah? Well I'm gonna be working overnights and have GM 8.1, gms 1.4 and gms 2.
I'd be a much better teammate than @Misu

Toque

My biggest hurdle for jams is the windows export requirement. I only have a Mac.

I’m trying to find a cheap lap top that I can export to windows and test out others jam games for ranking..........

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
@Toque
The project files work across platform. Someone here might be able to compile for you, but that makes bugfixing a bit iffy.

O.Stogden

My biggest hurdle for jams is the windows export requirement. I only have a Mac.

I’m trying to find a cheap lap top that I can export to windows and test out others jam games for ranking..........
You could dual-boot using Bootcamp, would mean a reboot to test in Windows, but there shouldn't be too much need for Windows-specific testing as it should be similar on both OS's.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't realize the Windows PC needed to be online at the same time as the Mac, you would need a Virtual Machine running Windows in this case I guess.

Or as Lukan said, another GMC member could test it for you. I probably won't participate in the jam, but feel free to send a project my way if you want me to test it or export an EXE. I have computers running Windows 7, Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04 and Mac OS X 10.7.

Last edited:
Nevermind, didn't realize the Windows PC needed to be online at the same time as the Mac, you would need a Virtual Machine running Windows in this case I guess.
Or they could just install the Windows version of the IDE and use that to export. No need to have both running then.

Making an EXE for someone else is against the TOS. I'd advise against it.
If they both have the same level of Game Maker license (e.g. Developer) I don't see why they couldn't do that. If the license prevents this, how would anyone be able to develop games in Game Maker as a team.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
If it is against TOS... Then just submit the raw file and let people play it via the IDE?

Toque

If it is against TOS... Then just submit the raw file and let people play it via the IDE?
it is a rule / requirement in the jam to submit an Windows exe.

I have the desktop and mobile license.

I know people could make an exe for me but I don’t want them to get in trouble with the GM user rules. I didn’t realize that was a thing.

I hate to bother the jam hosts.

it’s not a big deal. I’m sure I will get a cheap hand me down laptop soon enough.

I was using my wife’s laptop but she gave me the boot. ( from her computer not the house). ((If I was booted out of the house I would just buy a laptop for my “stupid game thingys”)).

I will sort it out. No worries.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder

It's kind of a "soft" rule. You can absolutely publish only a Mac app if you want. But since most people here are on PCs it would likely barely get played / ranked by people! So it's best to try and create a Windows version somehow.

duran can

Hi, i know imgur site is very popular abroad, but it is blocked in my country. So iI can't see the pictures. Do you have a chance to upload alternatives?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
It's time, woo~

I've been in many jams in the last few [insert normal human time unit here], but there's nothing quite like the GMC Jam!

NightFrost

Ah right the Jam. I won't know until closer to end of month if I'll have the time, unfortunately. Or at least offer coding services if I don't have enough time to go solo. So tentatively looking forward to this...

M

Misu

The idea of whether the numeration represents a development sequence or if it is the quantity of letters within the theme is irelevant. However, Im going to assume its the quantity of letters within the theme.

Saying so, I establish that the most obvious guess is that the 1 letter word is actually A. This also reveals that the previous word (what comes before A) is actually either a verb, adverb or some sort of direction word. I cant think of any 3 letter word that can fit perfectly in that context but I do believe this could be a possible guess:

Code:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / F O R / A / _ _ _ _
If you try to build a sentence just using those 3 letter with the word A following next, the most formal selection would be the word FOR. I could go for TRY but any other result would exceed the letter limit based on the clue.

G

GamemakerTrialUser1

Good guesses, but I'm wondering if the clue means there is only one letter "i" in the theme, which would mean microchips and biophysics have to many of them.
D'oh! Forgot there was only one i !

I'll have a rethink.

G

GamemakerTrialUser1

The idea of whether the numeration represents a development sequence or if it is the quantity of letters within the theme is irelevant. However, Im going to assume its the quantity of letters within the theme.

Saying so, I establish that the most obvious guess is that the 1 letter word is actually A. This also reveals that the previous word (what comes before A) is actually either a verb, adverb or some sort of direction word. I cant think of any 3 letter word that can fit perfectly in that context but I do believe this could be a possible guess:

Code:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / F O R / A / _ _ _ _
If you try to build a sentence just using those 3 letter with the word A following next, the most formal selection would be the word FOR. I could go for TRY but any other result would exceed the letter limit based on the clue.
Weeknights for a Baby?

Excitement for a Hawk?

Checklists for a Lady?

I've also got Englishman or Englishmen but could find a four letter word to match that made sense...

Definitely something something a something.

Other 3 letter words..

Out
And
Has
Was
Two
One

I'm miles off so will leave it till we get more clues...

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Code:
EVERYTHING OFF A MARK
A theme about theme guesses, you know.

That said, EVERYTHING HAS A COST actually sounds very legitimate - the kind of thing I would see in Ludum Dare shortlist, for example.
I hope it's not that, though, because it has tendency towards this costs-and-balances kind of gameplay mechanic (or Fullmetal Alchemist inspired stories, I guess) that's tricky to implement naturally in most genres, I suppose?

C

Catastrophe

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _

Lololololols, can u lift?

Everything has a XXXX honestly sounds like the pattern. Although there's no "u". So let's go with

Everything has a butt

D:

Edit: oh, it's 1xO. Well shoot, it probably is already guessed haha.

Bart

WiseBart
So it's not EVERYTHING BUT A GAME. Makes sense.

On a more serious note: looking forward to this jam already!

EVERYTHING HAS A COST does seem like a pretty valid one.

Last edited:
Р

Роман Баканенко

Привет всем!

MOD EDIT: Post says "Hello Everybody!". To @Роман Баканенко, please post in English, even if it's translated through Google Translate, as the forum only permits posts in English. We all come from different countries and if we all posted in our native languages nobody would understand anything! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I just realized this jam overlaps the 7DRL jam ("make a polished roguelike in 7 days") pretty nicely, and I've signed up for that and am kinda intent on making an entry (since it's one-per-year) so I think I already know what genre my entry will be~

D

Deleted member 45063

I would like to take part in this one, for the very first time in my "progammer" life.
Anyone that speaks portuguese wanna team up?
I am still unsure whether I'll manage to participate or not, but if I am then I don't mind teaming up for a jam for once (although I am also just a programmer so... that might not work out ahah).

Status
Not open for further replies.