Multiple Frames On One Object

C

Cleavly

So, I recently tried out GameMaker, because gaming development is what I am personally interested in.
I have been watching tutorials on how to make a side scroller. I got to the point where I have one that functions and detects collision.
I then was creating a level. I noticed something though. The one frame for the ground/walls were barren. I decided to make more frames within the sprites, assuming I'd be able to place them separately. This was not the case, and I found them scrolling through the images, instead of allowing me to place newly made frames.
I am unsure how GameMaker works, being new to the program, and I haven't found anyone discussing this. If anyone has a solution to my problem, I'd be glad to hear.
Thank you for your time.

C

Cleavly

Is it possible to create a tile set within GameMaker, or will I have to use an outside source, (Photoshop)?

W

whale_cancer

Is it possible to create a tile set within GameMaker, or will I have to use an outside source, (Photoshop)?
You could do it within GameMaker, but GameMaker's art tools are quite basic. I would recommend an external program.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you're doing pixel art and don't care too much about palettes, GM's graphics functionality is more or less all you need - easy to learn and use, fully integrated so you can do changes instantly. To make a tileset, you need to draw a background resource. There's a checkbox on the background properties form that reads "Use as tile set", just check that and it gets turned into a tileset. You'll also get a bunch of extra settings on the form after doing this, such as the sizes of individual tiles.

C

Cleavly

I appreciate everyone's help, and I'm glad you could take some time to come to my aid!

S

seanm

If you put multiple images in a sprite, the sprite will animate.

If you want to select a random image and only display that, you have to do this
Code:
image_speed=0
image_index=irandom(image_number-1)

C

Cleavly

If you put multiple images in a sprite, the sprite will animate.
Thank you, I figured this out personally when my ground started flashing rapidly.

I have another issue while using tiles.
As I was using tiles and adding collision using an object, (a 4x4 square object) I came across a new problem
THE PROB.PNG
(Please don't pay mind to the badly made grass, this is just me testing tiles)
When placing any tiles next to each other, with the 4x4 collision object, it creates gaps in between tiles.
Currently the background is blank, and the tileset has no gaps in it.
prob 2.PNG
This is the same section from before, when looking in the properties of the room.
The black is the object for collision. The lines in between is the grid, shown below
Prob 3.PNG
This is the entire room I have made for testing purposes.
Prob 4.PNG Prob 5.PNG
The tiny platforms experience this in gameplay.
If anyone could help, I'd be very grateful!

RangerX

To get rid of that, first try turning off graphic interpolation. (see the option in the global settings, under the graphic tab of your target)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Also, a UX tip... try to turn off the grid when working in the room editor for extended periods of time, it's easier on your eyes. I almost never use the grid, because I often work in resolutions small enough that I can't use the grid to align things with each other anyway :p