GameMaker What is this for a fps limit function?

D

Dwighty4000

I am currently testing my game on a second computer. this second computer is a laptop and has a GTX 950M graphics card.
I already uploaded my current game to steam as a build, which is why the Steam FPS shows me 30 fps continuously in the top left, but why?
The laptop screen can run at 64 Hz, which is why it cannot be there. My main computer, which has a GTX1080Ti, shows as much FPS as I enter in the numerical value of the room_speed in this menu from the screenshot.
if I enter 76fps on my main computer, the Steam FPS also shows me 76fps. But on my weaker laptop where the graphics card is at 100% load when the room_speed demands more than 30, the game starts to get stronger the higher the room_speed number. but the SteamFPS always remain at 30 FPS, unless I make the room_speed even lower than 30 with this GameFPS button in the menu on the screenshot.
But if I do the room_speed on my laptop higher than 30 fps, then the animations of the sprites start to play very slowly and the alarm events take very much longer to be executed out.

What can I do to make room_speed run the game with the optimal number?
So that the game always tries to execute the entered number in roomspeed, but only if the computer performance does the same and does not even lower the frame rate than if I only ran the game at a room_speed of 30fps?
20200126211025_1.jpg

SeraphSword

Do you have v-sync set in your game properties? That will lock in on certain FPS to ensure that there is no screen tearing.

R

robproctor83

Yea, I think if you have vsync enabled and the game under performs instead of syncing at 60 it will sync at 30 if it can't reach a stable 60. At least, that is how it has worked in my experience.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yea, I think if you have vsync enabled and the game under performs instead of syncing at 60 it will sync at 30 if it can't reach a stable 60. At least, that is how it has worked in my experience.
And this is why everyone tells you to turn off vsync, because it's basically a "make the run twice as slow" toggle :p

R

robproctor83

And this is why everyone tells you to turn off vsync, because it's basically a "make the run twice as slow" toggle :p
Wait, is that true? I mean, is it recommended to NOT use vsync? I would think it is almost necessary otherwise you get tearing, especially only graphically intense games. On my project I can go without vsync if the fps is over 200, but once it starts digging around 150 I get noticeable tearing. Once it goes under 100 the tearing is really unacceptable. With vsync on I can go all the way to 59 before there is a problem.

D

Dwighty4000

I never programmed a Vsync fuction into this game. The GameFPS is the room_speed and you only can change this if you press the "+" or "-" on the screen with the enter botton, to make the GameFPS slower: "room_speed = room_speed - 2;" nothing more...
I never used a vsync option.

R

robproctor83

Ah, it's a setting you turn on/off in the windows graphics options. I don't remember, it may be on by default.