GMC Jam Hall of Fame & Archive

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
GMC Jam Hall of Fame & Archive

This topic is, in a way, a recreation and continuation of the GMC Jam Facts, Stats & Hall of Fame thread from the old GMC, made by @TerraFriedSheep. For now, it features the former Jam winners; eventually, it will include information on the previous Jams (possible with some interesting memories related to specific Jams) and miscellaneous stats as well.

With the Jams already passed and more planned in the future, the amount of information is too large for a single post. Because of that, the Jams information will be split into multiple posts, corresponding to specific Jam eras or categories, all of which will be linked to at the end of the first post.

---------------

Image by @FlameFrog

Medal table

The following list contains all Jammers who ever reached the top 3 in a Jam, sorted by medal count (gold for the 1st place, silver for the 2nd place and bronze for the 3rd place). If a team earned the medal, the medal is divided evenly between the team members (half for a team of two, a third for a team of three etc.).

1st place: @Greenblizzard (3 / 0 / 0)
2nd place: @TheSnidr (2 / 0.5 / 0)
3rd place: @Blake (2 / 0 / 0)

Further places:
4th place: (1 / 2 / 2)
Lune
@Yal
6th place: (1 / 2 / 0)
7th place: (1 / 1 / 2)
8th place: (1 / 1 / 0.5)
10th place: (1 / 1 / 0.33)
11th place: (1 / 1 / 0)
tempori
@TehPilot
13th place: (1 / 0.5 / 0)
14th place: (1 / 0 / 0)
22nd place: (0.53 / 0.25 / 1.16)
24th place: (0.53 / 0.25 / 0)
25th place: (0.5 / 0 / 0)
@johnwo
Partysofa​
27th place: (0.2 / 0.25 / 0)
Joel Montpetit​
28th place: (0.2 / 0 / 0)
Elijah Lucian​
29th place: (0 / 2 / 1)
30th place: (0 / 2 / 0)
31st place: (0 / 1.17 / 0)
32nd place: (0 / 1 / 0.33)
33rd place: (0 / 1 / 0)
38th place: (0 / 0.83 / 0)
Jamie Gupta​
39th place: (0 / 0.5 / 0)
41st place: (0 / 0.33 / 0)
43rd place: (0 / 0 / 1)
54th place: (0 / 0 / 0.5)
58th place: (0 / 0 / 0.33)
Bikramaditya Ghosh Dastidar
@Bingdom
Follomania
@IodineX
Joel Montpetit
@KrotoR

Best-ofs table

The following list contains all Jammers who ever got a best-of award for their entry (best use of theme, best presentation, best devlog etc.), sorted by the number of awards accumulated. If a team earned the best-of award, the award is divided evenly between the team members (half for a team of two, a third for a team of three etc.).

1st place: (5 points)
Lune
2nd place: (4 points)

Further places:
5th place: (3 points)
8th place: (2.5 points)
10th place: (2 points)
19th place: (1.67 points)
20th place: (1.5 points)
22nd place: (1.16 points)
23rd place: (1 point)
44th place: (0.53 points)
47th place: (0.5 points)
56th place: (0.33 points)
58th place: (0.2 points)
Elijah Lucian
Joel Montpetit​

Best reviewers

So far, the following people have been chosen as best reviewers!

@ghandpivot
@johnwo
@K-BitCRUSH
@Misu
@nvrogers
@speedchuck
@The M

Their efforts in providing invaluable feedback to Jam participants will always be appreciated!

---------------

Archive index

Old GMC Jams records:
Records of iterations held on the old GMC that has been archived now.

New GMC Jams records:
Records of iterations held on these new GMC forums.

Miscellaneous facts and stats

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Old GMC Jam #1

Theme: Pancakes
Winning entry: Moose's Pancake Adventure by Greenblizzard, Greenblizzard's brother
Games ZIP: Mega (13 of 23 entries)

Idea/discussion topic: LINK
Games/votig topic: LINK

GMC Jam 1 banner, made by superjoebob

OOOGLAHBAHBAH
An ancient incantation from prehistoric times, before voting topic was invented

The idea for the first GMC Jam originated from official competitions organised by YoYo Games ("Comps"), as people (or at least dadio, who presented the idea) couldn't wait for another event like this. Initial idea was quite different from the Jam we know - for example, an entrance fee of sorts has been proposed to build up a pool of monetary prizes (it has been shot down due to legal issues involved), and the suggested timeframe was 1 month. Then, thatshelby (back then known as Theophilus) suggested that instead of GMC Comp a GMC Jam could be held - shorter, with less focus on prizes and more on self-improvement, and overall closer to the format we have now.

Quite a long discussion and exchange of ideas followed. Suggestions included selected community members judging the entries (instead of community as a whole) or obligatory randomly matched teams. Also, initially the Jam was meant to last for 48 hours, until people settled on 72 hours pretty much last minute, starting the tradition of GMC Jam time mixups. Eventually, the GMC Jam format has been more or less refined, and out of the themes suggested...

...Pancakes has been chosen.

Overall, 23 entries have been submitted, and the voting has begun. Initially, thatshelby required putting a phrase OOOGLAHBAHBAH in a voting post so that he could search for votes with that; however, after some discussion the keyword has been replaced with "vote" instead. The voting system used in that Jam involved no rankings - basically, everyone voted for their favourite entry, and the one with most first-place votes won (Rusty suggested a Cage Match between entries that tied, but it didn't catch on). Also, the Jam didn't forbid participants from voting on their own entry, which makerofthegames took advantage of.

Full ranking:

(all usernames are given as they were back then; if someone changed their username in the meantime, the old one is still listed)

<more Jams to be added here>

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
<reserved for GameDevDan era, will be replaced with actual Jams record eventually>

Last edited by a moderator:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
<reserved for Alphish era, will be replaced with actual Jams record eventually>

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Jam statistics JSON, which includes information about specific Jams (themes, entries, votes, final ranking etc.) and participants.

By using json_decode, as well as ds_list/ds_map function, you can freely process that data to extract whatever useful information you need.

So far, it includes GMC Jam 1 information. More to be added later.

----------

GMC Jam League table, i.e. how many entries the given Jammer has beaten across all Jams. Made and maintained by @GameDevDan.

Ranking of voting, i.e. how many times users voted for and/or reviewed Jam games. Made by @Aura.

Last edited:

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
For those interested, here is a league table of all Jam entrants from GMC Jam 1 - 21 on the old forums.

The table counts simply this: the number of individual entries each user beat in each jam, and their total entries beaten across all jams.

Full League Table

Top 10:

1. Yal (905)
2. snail_man (758)
3. GameDevDan (614)
4. NAL (604)
5. Joh (529)
6. 11clock (499)
-. Greenblizzard (499)
8. TerraFriedSheep / Soulsnatcher (490)
9. Blake (483)
10. Lune (483)

(EDIT: Tempted to add some kind of metric for "average % of entries beaten", although this will give undue weight to one-time entrants who did well)

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Could you also add a column with the number of times each person entered the jam? Also, if you want to do percents, maybe only include those who've done three or more jams? (Unless you want to preserve Jools64's 100% success rate from a single jam)

A

Aura

Spent some hours counting how many times people have voted for and reviewed their favourite Jam games and here's what I found out...

• A total of 661 people have voted for and/or reviewed their favourite Jam games.
  • 294 unique people have voted for and/or reviewed for their favourite Jam games.
  • The number of people who have voted only once is 183.
  • @Nocturne is the only GMC Jam host who has never voted for a game.

Top 10:

1. @RekNepZ (16 times)
  2. @chance (15 times)
  3. @HayManMarc & @TerraFriedSheep (14 times each)
  4. @GameDevDan & @Yal (13 times each)
  5. @TheUltimate (12 times)
  6. @Nallebeorn & @Detective Pixel (11 times)
  7. @Alice (10 times)
  8. @Mercerenies & @Mr Magnus & @The M (9 times each)
  9. @dadio (8.5[!] times)
  10. @trg601 (8 times)

Complete data in the form of a spreadsheet (in no particular order) can be found here. Multiple voting entries that did not follow the rules and were securing a post only were disqualified. If you think that I've committed a mistake (that I'm 90% sure of) then please let me know. Particularly concerning the Jams of early Nocturne era.

Last edited by a moderator:

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
I'm pretty sure Snail Man has entered and voted in more jams than I have. May want to double check.

A

Aura

I'm pretty sure Snail Man has entered and voted in more jams than I have. May want to double check.
That's because @Snail Man's old profile on the old GMC was deleted along with all the posts made by him. So even if the number of Jams that he has participated in could be found out; it would be nearly impossible for me to figure out the number of Jams that he has voted in. Because there's no explicit record of that thing apparently. So unless he provides data himself in that regard, the list would be forced to remain as-is.

Edit: Oh, well. He told about it in the discussion topic. Would get that fixed and stuff added. ^^

ghandpivot

I'll join the jam this time around as well, time to start looking into some ideas I've got and read up on what I need to know to make them happen :p

Zerb Games

GG @Yal
For those interested, here is a league table of all Jam entrants from GMC Jam 1 - 21 on the old forums.

The table counts simply this: the number of individual entries each user beat in each jam, and their total entries beaten across all jams.

Full League Table

Top 10:

1. Yal (905)
2. snail_man (758)
3. GameDevDan (614)
4. NAL (604)
5. Joh (529)
6. 11clock (499)
-. Greenblizzard (499)
8. TerraFriedSheep / Soulsnatcher (490)
9. Blake (483)
10. Lune (483)

(EDIT: Tempted to add some kind of metric for "average % of entries beaten", although this will give undue weight to one-time entrants who did well)

T

TerraFriedSheep

Great to see the stats thread reborn on these new forums! Thanks for taking over @Alice, I'm sure you'll do a great job ☺

It was a pleasure keeping the original stats and facts topic up to date on the old GMC forums, but this is a great opportunity for something new, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the new generation of Jams bring!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Great news! :D
I'm pleasantly surprised I'm in any sort of top-10 list, even moreso that I've got such a big lead in one of them. I'm definitely getting hyped to do my best in the next jam... it's too late to give up now! :3

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Just found myself browsing this topic and realised my position in the "medal table" is wrong.

It seems to suggest I came 3rd as part of a team in one jam, but I've never come third nor have I ever joined a team iirc :p Here's ma jam history (from my profile)

On the old GMC:

1,2,3,4,5 - Did not enter
6 - WillO - 5th Place (First ever entry)
7 - Chickens and Moles - 1st Place
8 - Last one standing: Paper pumpkin apocalypse - Not entered for voting, but won best presentation anyway
9 - Profanity bot - 22nd Place
10 - Papantzin - 11th Place
11 - Dewey feed Grogg - 9th Place + best use of handicap
12 - Wish that I could be human - 16th Place (& YoYo House Shooter 52nd Place)
13 - Tiny Pirate Captain - 11th Place
14 - Just Pop Bubbles - 44th Place
15 - Did not enter
16 - Last one standing: Tiny panda barrage - 22nd Place
17 - HannaH - 2nd Place + best devlog
18 - Potato Patch Propaganda - 7th Place + Best Presentation
19 - Super Honeybees Cluster On Hornet - 33rd Place + Best use of handicap
DACJAM - Maggot In A Frying Pan (Dadio) - 6th Place
20 - Cavemen With Peashooters - 7th Place
21 - Dan's Narcissitic Adventure In Jam Land - 11th Place + Best use of handicap

On the current GMC:

1 - Lonely Drone - 7th Place
2,3 - Did not enter
4 - Ballooning Over The Ocean - 21st Place
5,6,7 - Did not enter

EDIT: also, the era in which I ran the GMC Jam is dubbed the "Chequered Ink" era for some reason, even though it took place before Chequered Ink Ltd. even existed and I did all the work in my personal time! :p

Last edited:

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Eventually.
We have all the text records of the Jams. (And myself and others have *almost* all the games / Jam zip compilations for all the old forum Jams.)
This topic - and the other new topic for preserving all the old Jam materials and games - will be updated and properly linked up to live .zips "eventually".
(Best to read "eventually" as "sometime in 2020" - I think we all have a lot of real life stuff on our plate and it takes time and effort to check through this stuff / copy paste text / compile complete zips / re-upload files / present these posts well etc.
Please be patient.
(And note all the "dadio era" Jam info / zips are complete so far over on the Jam preservation topic, here:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gmc-archive-past-gmc-jams.69629/)
We're slowly getting this stuff together and back up.
Cheers!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I noticed the archive banner has a watermark... it kinda adds to the "hey, let's remember this bygone era with copypasting all the remnants we could find, lest it ephemerally is forever lost" charm of the topic in a weird way, but I can't tell whether it's intentional or not and figured it was worth a clarification.

D

Deleted member 45063

Any chance the dead links in this topic could receive some love? Especially interested in the Jam Statistics JSON :p

(especially interested in remembering what awards the Sore o Kopi entry got in GMC JAM 19 :rolleyes:)

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Still kinda crazy busy / strapped for time at the moment, sorry.
Hoping next month I'll have more free time to start cleaning up and re-uploading all these topics / stuff.

EDIT: Oh lawd.
K... 2020 was all a bit messy.
Will get round to adding all the Jam Zips early 2021!
(Sorry all, been a mad year with next to no free time!)

Last edited: