The Perfect Pixel Art Manual

Rayek

Many threads on this forum are about issues with pixel art and the execution of said art.

After answering some basic questions of a co-worker of mine related to pixel art, I did a bit of research for a good resource. There's a lot available online, but it's generally very fragmented, or just missing elementary stuff. Or too advanced. Or too simple.

Then I found this book last week: https://pixellogicbook.com/

I purchased it, because the info looked quite good. And it is! I regard this book as the new standard work on pixel art.

If any of you are interested in improving your pixel art, or just learning the basics, I'd recommend getting this. It is obviously a labour of love (took the author 4 years to complete), and I am somewhat bewildered that I never heard of the book before. It is, as far as I am concerned, the definitive work on how to create good looking, but more importantly also functional, pixel art for your games. I'd compare it with Richard Williams' The Animator's Survival Kit in term of scope and depth of information. Even subpixeling and how it affects animation is covered. It goes into some detail indeed!

I have been pixelling since C64 and Amstrad times, and even I picked up on some valuable fresh tidbits of information. And the book looks gorgeous to look at with tons of examples how to improve your work.

It won't teach you how to draw, but it will teach you how to render your art ideas into beautiful looking pixel art. It's a book that I would have loved to have when I first started so long ago! :)
Would've saved me hours and hours of trial and error.

Essential for any beginner and intermediate pixel artist.

Null-Z

I don't know if I'm mistaken, but I think Extra Credits mentioned it in one of their videos.

Toque

I ordered a copy. Look forward to reading it.

edit:

Enjoying it very much. Very good examples. Well thought out. Beautiful to look at.

Last edited:
Impulse bought this. Hopefully it's idiot-proof. :rolleyes:

Edit: I can tell at a glance that this is written for the lowest-common denominator ("SilentxxBunny herein.)

Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to reading this.

As far as I could tell it was. I thought about printing it out but it would be just too much to do in colour.
It reads almost like a magazine. Lots of pictures (not a lot of text) but what text is there is concise, helpful, and easily digestable.

This book is perfect for me. I have trouble reading (especially long passages of text, and technical documentation.) Sometimes I'll finish a page, and have no idea what I just read... I did not have that problem with this book. I read 120 pages without even realizing it.