Final Boss Ideas?

Y

Your.Homie

So I've been making my game(using tutorials, I'm new to game design) and designing enemies and stuff, but then I realized, I need a big baddie, the final boss. I'm stumped though. Any ideas. Oh and one thing, I do not plan to have the final boss an animal. Any help is appreciated!

Y

Your.Homie

it depends on the game you're making. Any screenshots? Any info as to what your game is about?
It's a platformer/shooter. The plot is simple at the moment. The "protagonist" finds a weird portal guarded by an old man. Kills him for no reason and continues to kill people within the realm of that portal. I would give you a picture of my basic enemy design but I can't upload it for some reason...

Y

Your.Homie

I like fighting the super hero.
I've been thinking for 9 minutes. I'm going to make the super hero the main characters brother. It'll make a more understandable relationship(and make it where I don't have to put too much thought in a design).

Toque

I've been thinking for 9 minutes. I'm going to make the super hero the main characters brother. It'll make a more understandable relationship(and make it where I don't have to put too much thought in a design).
I donā€™t know why I find it entertaining that you measured the time you were thinking about it....... sounds like a good plan.

It's a platformer/shooter. The plot is simple at the moment. The "protagonist" finds a weird portal guarded by an old man. Kills him for no reason and continues to kill people within the realm of that portal. I would give you a picture of my basic enemy design but I can't upload it for some reason...
Here are the first two things that popped into mind for me:

To survive (or defeat the boss) you must guard a portal for eternity (thus becoming the old man.)

Let the credits roll.
To survive (or defeat the boss) you require the old man's help - and mustn't have killed him in the first room.

A less mean plot-twist in the same spirit would be to have him resurrected (either to fight you, or fight with you.)

- - -

As for game-play mechanics: The final boss should challenge the player's skill... but it's also important to do something new/unique/memorable.In my first game, the final boss appeared to "glitch" or "break" the game. You had to leave the view at times, sprites didn't match objects, etc. In my second game: The final (sixth) act was set in the same zone as the first act (the player's hometown) only it had been destroyed.

- - -

Check out https://opengameart.org/ and see if some of the public domain assets there inspire you. Just make sure to attribute the author properly. ;)

- - -

If you're still stumped after that, maybe watch "let's play" videos of some classic platform games like Kirby, Mario, etc.

- - -

If you've got eleven dollars burning a hole in your pocket, check out this marketplace asset:
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/5776/ai-massive-pack

Last edited:
I like M. Night Twist #1.

My first thoughts:

1) The old man was guarding the portal to keep something horrible from escaping. You then have to defeat it in "His World" to prevent it from entering "Your World". -OR-
2) If you're going the player as villain route, the old man was protecting someone or something inside the portal, which the player then steals after the final battle. A platformer where the player KIDNAPS the princess for once! -OR-
3) You didn't really kill the old man. The old man wasn't really an old man, but something posing as an old man. You fight his "true form" after he follows you into the portal.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
How about combining both the M.Night #2 twists into one? The old man comes back to haunt you as a ghost (he could chase you through a level leading up to the final boss, and pop up between levels to berate and annoy you) but when the real final boss appears, you need to use his help to defeat it - use him as a platform, launch him as a projectile into the boss, stuff like that. The twist is, he doesn't actually help you willingly, he still is trying to attack you WHILE the final boss attacks you, so you need to figure out creative ways to use the old man's ghost's attacks against the final boss.

Joe Ellis

What about a demon that collects people's fears, worries and doubts, and when he has enough he can use them to swap everything else with those,
then the world becomes what everyone fears, worries about and doubts.
That's probably too specific and obscure, it's just what came into my head