• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Need Contributors In Creating A Mystery game.

• Thread starter Hugh Patrick Greene
  • Start date
H

Hugh Patrick Greene

greetings to all my fellow GMS users, Noobs, and professionals alike. I would like to put this idea out to you and hear you thoughts on it.

to put it in a nutshell . It will be a Mystery game. you enter certain info, have a rank and solve cases. You can solve them solo or in multiplayer mode, forming teams with other members, sharing information, experiences or even playing villains, challenging others to solve 'crimes' .

players would be able to have different roles; Villains, Detectives, Cops and NPCs (being observers/ informants to police or/and villains). you would start as an ordinary player then as the game progress you have control of how your character develops. For example in one scenario a bank robbery could've been done. The robbers may be a team of players who had this as a mission to raise their rank. lets say they got away with 50,000 dollars. Here's where it gets interesting. Obviously the police and Detectives would be after them but also rival gangs could go after them to raise their own rank or, in the police force there could be dirty cops who wants a cut/ the money for themselves. Even members in the same gang could setup their own members or switch into different groups.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it. i tend to do that when i get an idea for a game. but let me know what do you think? is it possible? Are you interested and would you like to know more. What are your suggestions? if your are interested what do you want to contribute, graphics, designer, musics, programmer or simple player? Do you think it would be too complex or should I streamline it a bit? Do you think it is even possible to create such a game with the type of mechanics it would need as in the example outlined?

Within a week's time, I will have a progress report. During that time i will keep checking for responses. Untill that time, god Bless and be cool.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
This sounds like the typical inflated impossible noob project envisioned by a guy that wants to start his career by making a MMORPG with no prior experience, just saying. Will be looking forward to seeing that progress report...

SnoutUp

Keep it single-player and minimize to something similar to "Papers, please" and you might complete it one day, but you're way too optimistic if you think people will just swarm to contribute to any proposition. You have to show, that you can do it/something/anything yourself and from this post you only send an "idea man" vibe.

RangerX

The problem with this is that its not "a game idea". Its a completely finished and polished videogame fantasy. The make a videogame you'll have to pull out your ideas from in there and form concepts. After that you will have a chance to start your game design. I can describle you in great details a scene from a 3D Mario game or again, more similar to your fantasy up there, a scene of Grand Theft Auto in great details. But when the designers sat down in the thinking room, that's not how they thought. Yes, they probably had a game fantasy but the concept of Grand Theft Auto is more like: "A character in a town that will navigate around in many types of transportation will complete simple objectives like killing someone, stealing something or finding and object given by mission giver NPCs they will also have to navigate to".

Last edited:
H

Hugh Patrick Greene

Hi and thanks to those who replied. I didn't reveal all the details because quite frankly I don't know all the details myself. Instead off doing the similar Slash and Grab, mainstream platformers, RPG, Shooters and the like, I wanted to do something new and different. What I wrote was off the top of my head. Now that I've slept on it and calmed down, I can be more explanatory.
The game will be a Mystery Solving game with elements of Time management, Shooter and Strategy. there will be 2 Modes of play; SOLO and MULTIPLAYER. In Solo Mode you'll get to choose out 4 types characters. These are DETECTIVE, COP, CITIZEN and VILLAIN.
As a DETECTIVE you'll get to solve crimes , catch the criminals and gain fame and prestige. As the Cop, your goal is to catch bad guys, help the innocent and rise in the ranks. As VILLAIN, your goal is to outwit the COP and DETECTIVE, do criminal acts and reach your own brand of fame and prestige. As CITIZEN you'll have more freedom of choice with your goal either to be a imformant to the Police or being a criminal yourself, all in your pursuit to live a better life.
Application Form.png
This is the Entrance form where you gave a few details of your self. This info will be displayed on various Scoreboards, with details of your Rank and placing.

characters.png
Here's a screenshot of the various characters to choose from.

So now that I've explain things in more detail, what do you think? Any suggestions. please give as much feedback, criticisms as possible. I'm going to develop it in SOLO mode first then, if feasible, in MULTIPLAYER mode I'll go for the MMO-type setting. To Tell the truth I don't really play that much MMORPGs or MMOs. growing up, it was always work and study, then as you get older and leave home it was always working and what little time I had I spent studying on my own. Any games i played on my own were the type i could finish within a couple of days, or matter of hours. but MMOs and MMORPGs takes sometimes months to finish. But now I have all the time in the world now, I take a shot at it.

Stay tuned for more progress reports.

Genetix

Just making any simple kind of online game along is a pretty great challenge - and must be built into the game from the very start. If you have never got an online game working, don't try to pull it off here. Not to sound discouraging, but the scope of your project may be a bit out of reach for now. It can be done, but you need to figure exactly what it would take, and start designing the network server/client concepts before even touching the game itself.

That said, you have a good start on a single player experience - I would focus soley on that for now and keep developing what you have starte.

G

Gitu

Tip: Start small and simple, then once you complete your little project, then start to get bigger; because if an idea is too big, you might get overwhelmed by the utter complexity.

Just start simple. Think of your game as "Oh, I think I'll make a mystery-themed game involving investigations." than immediately completing your project from start to end when you haven't typed even a single line of code.

H

Hugh Patrick Greene

Just making any simple kind of online game along is a pretty great challenge - and must be built into the game from the very start. If you have never got an online game working, don't try to pull it off here. Not to sound discouraging, but the scope of your project may be a bit out of reach for now. It can be done, but you need to figure exactly what it would take, and start designing the network server/client concepts before even touching the game itself.

That said, you have a good start on a single player experience - I would focus soley on that for now and keep developing what you have starte.
You're not discouraging at all. in fact I appreciate yours and everyone's honesty. I've decided to leave out the online capabilities for now and concentrate on a standalone game for the time being.

H

Hugh Patrick Greene

Greetings and Salutations my fellow GMUs( GameMaker Users) and I hope you're having a fabulous day today! I woke up in Good Spirits today, praised the Almighty Lord Jesus, cleaned my room and felt good about myself. Later on I'm going shout my buddies and we're gonna hang out and enjoy ourselves playing games, talking crap and call up some babes. Yep! I in such a good mood today.

Thanks to your responses my game project is taking a better shape and I'm having a better scope of that I need to focus on. Simply put you, the player, is going to be presented with case files to solve. There are 4 suspects of crime (which will increase as you progress), who have alibis, may have a motive, opportunity and perhaps evidence of the crime. You're job is to find the one suspect who has all these aspects: Motive, Opportunity, Evidence and No Alibi. (Even 3 out of the 4 can be considered a win.

I've done some character graphics and sprites so I'm on my way coding the project. I'm kinda stuck on the name though. It's a work in progress.

Untill then I hope you have a fantastic day and be cool!

H

Hugh Patrick Greene

Tip: Start small and simple, then once you complete your little project, then start to get bigger; because if an idea is too big, you might get overwhelmed by the utter complexity.

Just start simple. Think of your game as "Oh, I think I'll make a mystery-themed game involving investigations." than immediately completing your project from start to end when you haven't typed even a single line of code.
You're quite right about being overwhelmed. I tend to go overboard sometimes when I have idea as I can see all the possibilities it can have. thanks for your comment though and as i go on developing, I try to keep it small and simple.

pixeltroid

to put it in a nutshell . It will be a Mystery game. you enter certain info, have a rank and solve cases. You can solve them solo or in multiplayer mode, forming teams with other members, sharing information, experiences or even playing villains, challenging others to solve 'crimes' .

players would be able to have different roles; Villains, Detectives, Cops and NPCs (being observers/ informants to police or/and villains). you would start as an ordinary player then as the game progress you have control of how your character develops.
Wow. What you've planned out is huge.
Just a suggestion. Since you say its a "mystery game", why can't the first prototype of your game just have the detective as the main character? IMO you can focus only on one main character and flesh him out even better. Then, your next version can introduce the other characters.

H

Hugh Patrick Greene

Wow. What you've planned out is huge.
Just a suggestion. Since you say its a "mystery game", why can't the first prototype of your game just have the detective as the main character? IMO you can focus only on one main character and flesh him out even better. Then, your next version can introduce the other characters.
That's actually a very good suggestion. Thanks for that. I'm here drawing out some graphics for the characters, their responses to the differrent actions and a Town map and some other stuff for the first demo. Quite honestly, I'm having some trouble in designing the code to tie everything together but I'm getting there. If it becomes to complex, i'll do it as a RPG-type.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Quite honestly, I'm having some trouble in designing the code to tie everything together but I'm getting there.
The two best suggestions I can give...
  • Tie together two things at a time instead of trying to tie together them all at once. If you're lucky, you can reuse transitions and correlation code for other ties to the same element (e.g. once you have code and GUI elements to go to the map screen, you can use them everywhere), so that'll save work compared to doing the same changes four times when trying to get it to work.
  • Plan what you want to do before you start coding. Just having a plain english description of every step can make it a lot easier to figure out what to do. IMO you should do it on paper so you can draw arrows and diagrams and stuff if needed, it's faster than using a planning program and looking off your screen every once in a while lets your eyes rest so you tire out more slowly.