Question for 3D modelers

Null-Z

I'm planing on getting a desktop computer and wanted an opinion on what specification to look for if I wanted to do 3D modeling and rigging without incessant lag.

Rayek

Depends. What 3d software will you be using? Will you be rigging characters and animating for games? Will you be sculpting? How about rendering (again the software and render engine is important to know about: will you be rendering on the GPU?)

In general, get the best graphics card you can afford. Ideally with at least 8GB video ram (avoid Quadros: waste of your money). Get a computer with at least 16GB RAM or preferably more (32GB is better).

But knowing your exact goals will be good to know.

Null-Z

Depends. What 3d software will you be using? Will you be rigging characters and animating for games? Will you be sculpting? How about rendering (again the software and render engine is important to know about: will you be rendering on the GPU?)

In general, get the best graphics card you can afford. Ideally with at least 8GB video ram (avoid Quadros: waste of your money). Get a computer with at least 16GB RAM or preferably more (32GB is better).

But knowing your exact goals will be good to know.
I want to Model, Rig, and Animate.(I know, it's a lot to learn but I want to be diverse in skill) and I'm using Blender first.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
  • RAM is usually the bottleneck, not CPU speed. Make sure you get good RAM (e.g. higher DDR levels, more caches, more gigabytes --> better)
  • Laptops with poor ventilation constantly get underclocked to avoid overheating. This means they can't use all their performance even if they've got good numbers. If you get a laptop, you should get the one with the best cooling. Big fans, big holes in the bottom, as much mesh surface area as possible instead of plastic. Get that air flow going. Also, place it on a stand so air can flow around the bottom.
  • Good GPUs make everything graphics-related work better. Office computers usually have really bad GPUs, gaming computers usually have overpriced brand-name GPUs, so read up on what makes a GPU good and make sure you get something that's "good enough". Just as for the CPU, having more RAM for the GPU = makes everything faster. GPUs work with texture pages that loads from normal memory for GPU memory, this is a very slow operation so if GPU RAM is too low, this will happen all the time and slow everything down.
  • Check recommended (not minimal) system requirements for Blender and see if you can get those exact specs, then you know you've got something that's supposed to work.